Sign in with
Your question

New build having an issue, monitor losing input

Last response: in Systems
August 13, 2012 2:51:31 AM

Hi everyone this is what is inside of my computer: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cWAZ

I just built this and overall it works really well. One problem I am having is that when playing games the screen will sometimes turn black (the monitor will lose input, it doesn't just go black), for a second to a few seconds and then turn back on.

I am having issues figuring out what the problem is because this is my first computer, so I was wondering if I could get some help diagnosing the problem. I have taken logs of my GPU and CPU's temps while playing games and they look OK, but I have attached those to this post just in case.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you!

GPU Temps: https://www.dropbox.com/s/w52r8knkofsxf6g/GPU-Z%20Senso...
CPU Temps: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qrhas6ejrl3g9qh/CT-Log%202012...
August 13, 2012 3:01:44 AM

Hmmmm, the temps are fine.

Lets start troubleshooting!

*do you have installed the latest drivers?

*does this only happens while playing games?

*what monitor do you have?

*have (can you)you test your monitor with a different PC/Laptop/Tablet?

*Have (can you) you test your PC with a different monitor?

*Try changing your GPU's position, place it the other PCI-e slot

*Are your components overclocked?

*Have you installed the latest windows updates?

*do you have any kind of power saving program/feature activaded?
m
l
August 13, 2012 3:42:43 AM

aqualipt said:
Hmmmm, the temps are fine.

Lets start troubleshooting!

Thank you very much for your help. Here are the answers to each question:

Yes, I have the latest as of 2 weeks ago, when I built the computer.
As far as I know it is only when I play games, but it is basically only really used for gaming.
Right now just a Samsung LCD television, but I will be getting a Asus VH238H very soon.
The TV should not be the issue, I have been using it to watch movies and play PS3 and X360 for a few years now.
I have not had the chance to test a different monitor, I guess once I get my VH238H I will be able to do that.
I will do this right now. Right now it is in the top slot near the CPU cooler.
Nothing is overclocked.
Everything is up to date!
No powersaving features activated, unless some of those come stock with Windows 7 Professional.

Thanks again for your help.
m
l
Related resources
a b C Monitor
August 13, 2012 3:49:54 AM

try to test the cable between the computer and the tv
m
l
August 13, 2012 3:55:14 AM

scout_03 said:
try to test the cable between the computer and the tv

That will not help, i am 99% sure that this guy is using a HDMI, Dual link DVI or a Display port to output the image from his PC to the monitor, and those are digital cable which either work or dont... if he is using an analog port like VGA then thats another story....
m
l
August 13, 2012 3:57:56 AM

mrtissues said:
Thank you very much for your help. Here are the answers to each question:

Yes, I have the latest as of 2 weeks ago, when I built the computer.
As far as I know it is only when I play games, but it is basically only really used for gaming.
Right now just a Samsung LCD television, but I will be getting a Asus VH238H very soon.
The TV should not be the issue, I have been using it to watch movies and play PS3 and X360 for a few years now.
I have not had the chance to test a different monitor, I guess once I get my VH238H I will be able to do that.
I will do this right now. Right now it is in the top slot near the CPU cooler.
Nothing is overclocked.
Everything is up to date!
No powersaving features activated, unless some of those come stock with Windows 7 Professional.

Thanks again for your help.

Ok then try this:

*Run furmark. (15 mins)

*Run Prime 95

*Run 3DMark 11 (15-20 mins)
m
l
a b C Monitor
August 13, 2012 4:01:36 AM

Can you give a little more information about that TV? An exact model number would be helpful. What resolution does it support natively? At what resolution are you trying to play? What type of connection are you using to connect to the Video card and the TV, i.e. HDMI-HDMI, DVI-DVI, DVI-HDMI, HDMI-DVI, etc? IMO it sounds like you may be using a resolution or a cable connection that is only marginally supported on your TV but that's just a guess without more info.
m
l
August 13, 2012 4:03:05 AM

Yes, I am using HDMI.

This may sounds stupid, but should I run all of those programs separately for the specified times?
m
l
August 13, 2012 4:14:15 AM

JKatwyopc said:
Can you give a little more information about that TV? An exact model number would be helpful. What resolution does it support natively? At what resolution are you trying to play? What type of connection are you using to connect to the Video card and the TV, i.e. HDMI-HDMI, DVI-DVI, DVI-HDMI, HDMI-DVI, etc? IMO it sounds like you may be using a resolution or a cable connection that is only marginally supported on your TV but that's just a guess without more info.

Sure thing the model of the TV is: ln32A450c1d
The resolution I have Windows at is: 1360x768 (It should be able to do 720p easily)
Cable: HDMI
The game (Battlefield 3) resolution: 1360x768 (60.1 Hz)
m
l
August 13, 2012 4:16:12 AM

mrtissues said:
Sure thing the model of the TV is: ln32A450c1d
The resolution I have Windows at is: 1360x768 (It should be able to do 720p easily)
Cable: HDMI
The game (Battlefield 3) resolution: 1360x768 (60.1 Hz)

If thats the case then its not a resolution problem. run the test i told you to run...separately for ~15-20 mins and post back

Edit: Cool, i am veteran :lol: 
m
l
August 13, 2012 4:26:15 AM

Running them now, I will report back.
m
l
a b C Monitor
August 13, 2012 4:27:46 AM

Naw, you're right, it's probably not a resolution problem. I thought you might be using an adapter cable to go from HDMI to VGA or something like that but sounds like a simple HDMI connection so that's not it. Have you tried getting another HDMI cable to verify that the cable is working properly?
m
l
August 13, 2012 4:32:27 AM

JKatwyopc said:
Naw, you're right, it's probably not a resolution problem. I thought you might be using an adapter cable to go from HDMI to VGA or something like that but sounds like a simple HDMI connection so that's not it. Have you tried getting another HDMI cable to verify that the cable is working properly?

Digital cable work or they dont work at all.
m
l
August 13, 2012 4:35:24 AM

mrtissues said:
Running them now, I will report back.

Hmmm... wait, so when this problem happens the screen goes black and then goes normal again?
m
l
August 13, 2012 4:36:47 AM

aqualipt said:
Hmmm... wait, so when this problem happens the screen goes black and then goes normal again?

Yes, that is the problem.

Actually as reply I had the problem in FurMark 3:00 minutes into the test. It cut out, and then came back in.
m
l
August 13, 2012 4:39:31 AM

mrtissues said:
Yes, that is the problem.

Actually as reply I had the problem in FurMark 3:00 minutes into the test. It cut out, and then came back in.

interesting... your GPU blacks out under heavy load and then snaps... try to run the test @1080p and see what happens, if the screen goes black again then it means your GPU is faulty.
m
l
August 13, 2012 4:41:37 AM

aqualipt said:
interesting... your GPU blacks out under heavy load and then snaps... try to run the test @1080p and see what happens, if the screen goes black again then it means your GPU is faulty.

Ok, running FurMark @ 1080p I'll let you know if it still happens. Is it a problem that my monitor doesn't do 1080p? Will it still work?

I am also recording temps into a log, and I will post that, just to be sure they are normal at very high load.
m
l
August 13, 2012 4:42:14 AM

mrtissues said:
Ok, running FurMark @ 1080p I'll let you know if it still happens. Is it a problem that my monitor doesn't do 1080p? Will it still work?

I am also recording temps into a log, and I will post that, just to be sure they are normal at very high load.

Your TV should be able to downscale the image.
m
l
August 13, 2012 4:55:38 AM

Ok, it did happen about 10 minutes into the benchmark. This time it stayed black longer than normal. By the way, I switched the slots on my GPU before running all of these tests, so blackouts happen in both slots.

Here are temp logs if they are any use...:
CPU: https://www.dropbox.com/s/shwd44egidum9no/benchmark-CT-...
GPU: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6nql2rtpxnukmbr/benchmark-GPU...

EDIT: Just wanted to add that it is now happening with no benchmarks, just browsing the web.
m
l
August 13, 2012 5:00:58 AM

mrtissues said:
Ok, it did happen about 10 minutes into the benchmark. This time it stayed black longer than normal. By the way, I switched the slots on my GPU before running all of these tests, so blackouts happen in both slots.

Here are temp logs if they are any use...:
CPU: https://www.dropbox.com/s/shwd44egidum9no/benchmark-CT-...
GPU: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6nql2rtpxnukmbr/benchmark-GPU...

Your temps are fine... are you sure you don't have access to anyone's monitor?
m
l
August 13, 2012 5:02:56 AM

aqualipt said:
Your temps are fine... are you sure you don't have access to anyone's monitor?

Honestly, the only other monitor that I have is an ancient CRT one. I haven't owned a desktop in a long time. I should have a new monitor by the end of the week. I could get back to you on if the problem is still happening then.

Could it be the PSU?
m
l
August 13, 2012 5:06:10 AM

mrtissues said:
Honestly, the only other monitor that I have is an ancient CRT one. I haven't owned a desktop in a long time. I should have a new monitor by the end of the week. I could get back to you on if the problem is still happening then.

Could it be the PSU?

Well use that monitor!

I dont think is the PSU, in case your GPU is not getting enough power the PC will simply shut down... could you post a picture of the inside of your case? specifically the GPU power conectors.
m
l
August 13, 2012 5:20:14 AM

I will switch to that monitor (if I can find it) and let you know if I am still having issues. If I can't find it than I will let you know if it still happens with my new one. I did take pictures of my PC, however, just so you could check it out.

http://imgur.com/a/wY487
m
l
August 13, 2012 5:28:33 AM

mrtissues said:
I will switch to that monitor (if I can find it) and let you know if I am still having issues. If I can't find it than I will let you know if it still happens with my new one. I did take pictures of my PC, however, just so you could check it out.

http://imgur.com/a/wY487

Hmmm... i thought you were using the molex cables to create a PCI-e connector.

find that monitor ;) 
m
l
August 13, 2012 11:55:32 PM

Alright well I was able to run the tests with my old monitor and everything works fine. No blackouts (yet). So the problem is either with the TV or the HDMI port on my GPU. I bet its the TV.

Thanks for the debug help!
m
l
August 13, 2012 11:57:48 PM

mrtissues said:
Alright well I was able to run the tests with my old monitor and everything works fine. No blackouts (yet). So the problem is either with the TV or the HDMI port on my GPU. I bet its the TV.

Thanks for the debug help!

Hmmm i HIGHLY doubt the problem is the HDMI port, i am 99% sure that the problem is the TV...

Well, i guess that's it! pick a best answer to close this thread :D 
m
l
August 29, 2012 3:57:38 AM

Hi Aqualipt. I was finally able to get my other monitor. It took a day or two for it to happen again, but it is. The screen is flicking black on and off again. Would you think it was a problem with the GPU?
m
l
a b C Monitor
August 30, 2012 1:56:35 AM

i would test that gpu in another system and try another one in yours
m
l
!