Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Cooler Master 212 Hyper Voltage issue

Last response: in Components
December 28, 2012 2:01:55 PM

Yesterday I installed a cooler master Hyper 212. However, after I turned my computer on, it quickly shut off. I had to reinstall the stock heat sink and it booted up with no issues.

My current configuration:
AMD 8-core Processor
16 Gig Ram (2 x 8 DDR)
Graphics Card: GTX 560 TI
Current Power supply - Rosewill 750W
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-970A

I'm thinking it's a voltage spike. I plugged the fan into the CPU fan socket on my motherboard, so I'm wondering if thath would make a difference. If this is the case, how much more voltage would I need in order to run it properly? I don't do any overclocking.
December 28, 2012 2:07:59 PM

You were supposed to plug it into the CPU fan jumpers on the board to cool your heatsink, and you probably didn't sit the heatsink down right the first time. Don't touch anything, you're fine, if you're unsure download CPU-Z and monitor your processor's temperatures with that, just don't fiddle with anything I'm telling you you are fine.
m
l

Best solution

December 28, 2012 2:10:45 PM

Sounds like you didn't correctly seat the heatsink, it overheated and hit the temperature safety trigger and shut down. Fans use very little power, around 1% of an average PSU's output (which for the record, is measured in watts, not volts).
Related resources
December 29, 2012 12:22:47 AM

You guys were right, I didn't have the heatsink in correctly. The instructions given to me were vague, but I found a youtube video that demonstrated how to put it in, and now it runs smoothly. The stock heatsink was reaching from 68 - 75 oc, now It's down to 35c.
m
l
December 29, 2012 2:38:55 PM

screwfacecapone said:
You guys were right, I didn't have the heatsink in correctly. The instructions given to me were vague, but I found a youtube video that demonstrated how to put it in, and now it runs smoothly. The stock heatsink was reaching from 68 - 75 oc, now It's down to 35c.

Looks like you've got it in just right this time. I don't think I've ever met somebody who didn't have to reseat a heatsink now and then. The Hyper 212 is one of the easier ones to work with (love that backplate design), be glad you aren't trying to install something like a Tuniq 120, which for the record, was the most difficult to install cooler I've ever seen. I think it took me three or four tries to get it seated correctly the first time (it was my first aftermarket cooler).
m
l
January 7, 2013 11:02:02 PM

Best answer selected by screwfacecapone.
m
l
January 7, 2013 11:03:15 PM

Yeah, trouble with the hyper 212 is that it's so big and difficult to set without removing the motherboard first. But once you do get it in right, it's worth it.
m
l
!