Dell xps 9100 with more sata ports

7stingray3

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
Does dell make a motherboard with more than two sata ports for the xps 9100? I am trying to add a third hard drive to mine, but running low on places to plug it in. I would rather not use the conversion plug that allows me to plug in to a usb instead. Any thoughts?

Lefty666

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013

Hey Stingray,
I own a Dell XPS 9100 <not by choice,it was a replacement for my XPS 7100 that cost me $300. This XPS 0100 they gave me as a replacement, was REFURBISHED to begin with! The XPS 7100 HC was kickass PC! They replaced it with this pos that only cost $1100 Brand new for what was installed in it when I got it...man I was pissed!!~!!

Anyhow, the XPS 9100 has 3 sata2 ports, one is on the motherboard, below the other 2. I have a 256GIG SSD for my OS, a WD 1TB Velociraptoramd a WD Black 2TB hd. You can do the with the standard Mobo that came w8ith ur 9100XPS. I had another 1TB Seadate HD I wanted to install also, so I disconnected 1 of my optical drives and now I have 4 HD's installed, without buying any controller cards.
Now I did buy an SATS3 6gb 2 port card, but when I used it, only them 2 HD's showed up. It,the controller card ,took over the the mobo's controller,so adding a controller card to install more hd's wort work.( They didn't for me anyway).

So look for the 3rd Sata port on the Mobo and you'll be able to have 3 total HD's, but like I sadi, if you disconnect an optical drive, you can use that port for another hard drive.

Any questions..........shoot me a PM n I'll be Glad to help you out!!!
Lefty666

Lefty666

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013

Hey oldie,
I tried one of them cards ,and the system only recognized them 2 ports. the standard ports don't show up for some reason? maybe you know why, but I had to take it out and convert back to the reg ports on the mobo.

If you read my answer to Stingray, I told him the same thing. But I told him that there IS a 3rd Sata port on the board. Also you can disconnect an optical drive and use the port for another hared Drive. Which will give you a total of 4.

Unfortunately, thy'rer only Sata2 3g trans rate ports.
I tried and was hoping like hell that the controller card worked.it did, but only them 2 ports. So I guess it's upto the user what they want to do. Like I said, I had 4 hd's I wanted to use ,so I nixed the controller card.

TY for the advice though!
Lefty666