Do not buy anything IBM! Their support is lousy and their products are crap! Just look at IBM's drives breaking down all the time!

my hard drive broke down a long time ago and have yet to send my replacement drive! they received it the 14th of august it is now the 27th and have not sent my replacement drive!

jsyk you guys know. Buyer beware with IBM!

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I'm satisfied with my IBM 75GXP after 3/4 of a year of use.
Therefore, I haven't got a chance to try their tech support, but thanks for the tip. Anybody else have any input on IBM? (BTW, wrong forum)

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I dunno. Passable, I guess :)
Cuz it's more of a tech-support related post, but no sweat.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I've had my 45 gig 75GXP for over a year and it still runs great and extremely fast.
So I ordered two of the new 40 gig 60GXP drives that should arrive tomarrow or the next day so I can run them RAID-0 in my Epox 8K7A+.

Everyone reputable that I've asked has said IBM is well known for making very nice strong, and fast hard drives that last and rarely crash. If there is any reason why a lot of people post about IBM hard drives crashing its because there are probably more IBM owners than anything else because of this good reputation.

Also when it comes to hard drives most people don't say much about them being good, or fast. They only report when they crash or perform badly. Everyone wants to say how fast their processor is but rarely people are like "My hard drive is so fast its XX megabits/second"

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
IBM is very strong on server market doing good stuff and the biggest profit.

As for me, I'm happy with my relatively old...don't wanna open the box,
it shows on BIOS screen: IBM-DPTA-372050, 20 GB mode 4.
And my next harddrive will be IBM also.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You see, accidents happen with fast cars probably more than with slow ones, but it does not mean I don’t want to have a fastest car :eek:)

Post, we'll do the "search"... :wink:

Jitterbug

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2001
I bought two 45gb 75GXP's, to use with a KT7A RAID. The first one went in six weeks. I turned on the machine one day and the Highpoint BIOS reported the bad news "stripe missing". So I did the fitness test and it gave me codes for an RMA. So off to the IBM site to see what I have to do. One thing is buy the "proper" packaging from a site that they have a link to. $11.00 for a box, foam inside, and a anti-static bag. There is three pages to print just on how to box and send the drive back (RMA on the outside, must be shipped with tracking, etc) Another $6.45 (US) to ship it.
My first misery was waiting for the box to ship it in. The vendor had them on backorder. It took three weeks to get it. The day I got the box to ship it in, I got a nasty-gram via email from IBM warning me that the RMA will expire in five days.
Well after I shipped it off it took three weeks to get my replacement. I got a 60GXP that holds 61.5 gb. Now what do I do I should have (or so I have read) a matched set for RAID-0. Then the second old drive starts making noise. I tell them and they just tell me too bad untill the fitness test makes a RMA.
I started to look around at places like storagereview (old well read storage site). I check the forums there and find posts like "Lets start a class action" I find hundreds of posts linked to the IBM 75GXP's. I have found the same thing in all the sites I have looked through so far. This is not just the US, I found it in the UK as well (and here).
There has to something to it if you find hundreds and hundreds of posts that are pretty much the same thing.
One thing I did find out is that they (IBM) were replaceing the 75GXP's with the same untill they started to get the replacements back from the same customers.
Just because it is IBM does not mean they can't get a bad part here and there out of the thousands they make. I just wish they would be up front about it like Intel did with the Pentium 90's (I think it was the 90's)and just replace them. The worst part is they insult me by saying I am one of a very few, when I know better. If they lose me as a customer it will not be for making a bad part, it will be for making me jump through a bunch of hoops to get a bad part replaced, and telling me a lie. I bought IBM not just for a quality part, but quality service as well.
There was talk of it being tied with VIA chips, but I have not found the numbers yet. The windows shutdown problem has be discounted as people that had the patch have had the same problem as well.

umm i'm talking about IBM having very shitty support? How would you like it if your fastest car broke down and you took it in for warranty and they took 14+(still counting) days to fix it!? thats my point!

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It only took me three days to get my quantum/maxtor drive replaced, this before I even sent my bad one back. You fill out the form online, and if in a rush leave them your credit card info. Upon recieving the replacement you have 30 days in which to return the defective drive, only if 30 days go's by and they do not receive your bad drive will you get charged a dime.

Video editing?? Ha, I don't even own a camera!

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Use it wisely when you get it, heh, it is almost a year since I got my squeaky 30 gig Deskstar. I usually reformat boot partition when it starts to click a lot (it happens mostly on setup: games, programs etc.), probably heads start loosing tracks. But anyway, it is an awesome drive, GXP60-40g in the other PC had no problems since I got it 4 months ago, although it clicked once, hehe.

Post, we'll do the "search"... :wink: