Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Best Settings For SBG6580 DOCSIS 3.0 Modem

Last response: in Networking
August 15, 2011 6:32:53 AM

Ok so i just recently upgraded to Road Runner Extreme which Uses DOCSIS 3.0 SBG6580 Modem and i was wondering what internal settings i should use to maximize my speeds and online gameplay. I'm running a Ethernet line into my Xbox360 and wireless for my laptop. Also, i was told that Road Runner Extreme would get me 35Mbps downstream and 5Mbps Upstream, yet these are the speed test's i'm getting http://www.speedtest.net/result/1433326587.png

Any idea why i'm not getting the speeds i was promised?
June 17, 2012 2:06:32 PM

I just got Time Warner (same parent company) Cable Extreme - 30mbps down, 5 up. I was also not getting the promised speeds using the wireless router.

When connected through ethernet I was getting 31 down/5 up - but in order for all of my devices to work (ps3 and iphone are the only devices I have that don't understand 5Ghz frequency - therefore I had to use 2.4) I had to mess with internal router settings.

Here's what I found out:

Under Advanced-> Options make sure that UPnP is enabled - and when you connect your PS3 make sure to put a DHCP host name on your PS3 so that it can automatically open the ports it needs to.

Under Firewall make sure that IP Flood Detection is turned off (first, put a secure password pleeeease)

Under Wireless (here's where it took me 2 days of testing to figure it out) -
For all devices to work I needed 2.4 Ghz band. N-mode set to Auto, and Bandwidth set to 40Mhz. Use http://tools.meraki.com/stumbler#q= to discover what channel other wifi's around you are using, and try to set your control channel as far away from everyone as possible.
Next, click advanced under wireless - XPress technology should be enabled, Beacon Interval at 50, DTIM Interval at 1, Fragmentation Threshold at 2307, RTS Threshold at 2306, N Rate at 6Mbps, 802.11n Protection off (by choice), and Multicast rate of 1 Mbps.

I know it seems like a lot of changes, but I did about 6 hours of testing with iPhone, PS3, Laptop, and hardwired desktop to make sure that these are the best settings for a 1200 sqft apt. I'm also no network expert, so if anyone has any better ideas, go for it.

My speeds now are 27-29 d/l and 4.5-5 up over 2.4Ghz wireless N. Hardwired is always going to be better, but I can live with that speed on most of my devices.
Score
May 28, 2013 6:28:40 PM

john_dillinger's response seemed to work for me perfectly. Thanks, by the way!
If for some reason none of that works for you, I would recommend checking with your internet service provider. A lot of the time, it's the actual cable itself that can cause problems like this. They can check that for you, and hopefully replace and or repair it.
Score
!