Sign in with
Your question

Cases w/ built in HDD docks

Last response: in Components
December 28, 2012 2:38:14 PM

So long story short: I'm planning on my next build finally occurring shortly after Haswell comes out and planning on starting to buy certain parts as the come on sale over the course of the next few months. I stumbled upon the Rosewill Blackhawk case on Black Friday (and at $60 I'm kicking myself for not having the money and buying it). It caught my eye with its top mounted SATA HDD docking port because I, like most IT guys, end up providing support for friends and relatives. I can definitely see the usefulness in this type of addition to a case, so now I want my next case to have it. As such, I'm trying to find other cases that include similar docking bays (not to be confused with front panel eSATA) so I can decide on one when the time comes.

So far I have found the following cases:
  • Rosewill Blackhawk
  • Rosewill Blackhawk-Ultra
  • Cougar Challenger (Black)
  • Cougar Challenger (White)
  • Cougar Challenger (Orange)
  • Thermaltake Overseer RX-I VN700M1W2N

Maybe I'm missing it, but I haven't found an easy way to add this feature as a search filter criteria on and websites. Can anyone direct me towards any other cases with similar docking bays? If you have personal experience with any of them and wish to include that then that is fine, but not necessary. I have no problem looking up reviews myself.

EDIT: P.S. I don't care if it looks hideous (as you can see the Challenger case is pretty gaudy), I'm just looking for more options/advice.
  • More about : cases built hdd docks

December 28, 2012 2:52:28 PM

Quote "EDIT: P.S. I don't care if it looks hideous (as you can see the Challenger case is pretty gaudy), I'm just looking for more options/advice."

yea, and it looks like it could be a little cramped inside "full size atx board maybe sli all the cables there wont be much breathing room in there,
    m
    l
    Related resources
    a b ) Power supply
    December 28, 2012 2:56:57 PM

coolermaster storm trooper

though it only supports 2.5 drives

the thermaltake blacx mentioned also has a usb 3.0 version

and is one of the only externals i have found that supports uasp if you have an asus motherboard

all the other externals i looked at dont mention whether they have uasp or not

m
    l
    a c 140 ) Power supply
    December 28, 2012 3:01:59 PM

I think you can expand your case options if you use a mobile dock that fits in a 5.25" front expansion bay.
    On newegg, search for "mobile dock"
    Here is one example:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

There are versions that are trayless, or with trays, 2.5" and 3.5" capacity, and a bunch of other options, so read the details carefully.
    m
    l
    December 28, 2012 3:43:28 PM

geofelt said:
    I think you can expand your case options if you use a mobile dock that fits in a 5.25" front expansion bay.
    On newegg, search for "mobile dock"
    Here is one example:

There are versions that are trayless, or with trays, 2.5" and 3.5" capacity, and a bunch of other options, so read the details carefully.

That is very true. It would also save the space required by a desktop external (USB or other) docking bay and might look nicer than a built-in docking station. I suppose it might even be a better option in some ways. I've looked into those and I always come back to not wanting to spend the extra money on one. If I include the cost in the price of a decent case then it becomes somehow a little more palatable.

Considering the fact that every case I am likely to consider will have at least two 5.25" external drive slots and I will only be installing one DVD Drive... It is definitely something I will keep in mind as an option.
    m
    l
    December 28, 2012 4:13:43 PM

papablista said:
    Thermaltake Chaser MK-I $119 usd

I have the thermaltake blacx external e sata dock and that is essentially what is built into themaltakes cases it works great,

The door covering the connectors on that case is definitely a nice bonus.
    m
    l
    December 31, 2012 6:35:58 PM

groundrat said:

I use this one... out of stock at new egg right now, but Icydock makes a good version as well. Both can be used for SSDs and HDDs.

Is there no tray with that model groundrat, the HDD slides right in with nothing around or attached to it? And it looks like this link here is the newer version of the discontinued model you linked?

How long have you had that drive bay and how much use (inserting and removing drives) do you give it? Is the back side holding up well? (looks like it could theoretically be a little flimsy)
    m
    l
    a b ) Power supply
    December 31, 2012 6:59:37 PM

The NZXT H2 has a built in Hard Drive Dock, is in the top of the case and supports 2.5 inch drives and 3.5 inch drives.
    m
    l
    December 31, 2012 8:32:35 PM

jrayx said:
    The NZXT H2 has a built in Hard Drive Dock, is in the top of the case and supports 2.5 inch drives and 3.5 inch drives.

The NZXT H2 H2-001-BK looks like a very intriguing model!. I like a lot of those features (noise dampening, HDD lies down in the docking bay, which is covered, etc.), it doesn't look bad, and the price is very similar to that of the Rosewill Blackhawk. The dimensions are very appealing as well. I like the little bit of flair (small side panel window and LED fans) the Blackhawk has, but I definitely like this case a lot as well.
    m
    l
    a b ) Power supply
    January 2, 2013 1:19:05 AM

Isaiah4110 said:
    The NZXT H2 H2-001-BK looks like a very intriguing model!. I like a lot of those features (noise dampening, HDD lies down in the docking bay, which is covered, etc.), it doesn't look bad, and the price is very similar to that of the Rosewill Blackhawk. The dimensions are very appealing as well. I like the little bit of flair (small side panel window and LED fans) the Blackhawk has, but I definitely like this case a lot as well.

I like the features and build quality of that case, and for the price is not that bad, but it has some minor flaws like the airflow in the front door is not that good, and the front placing HDD is not ideal because of the cable mess. But in general is a very complete case.
    m
    l
    January 2, 2013 2:04:12 PM

jrayx said:
    I like the features and build quality of that case, and for the price is not that bad, but it has some minor flaws like the airflow in the front door is not that good, and the front placing HDD is not ideal because of the cable mess. But in general is a very complete case.

Are you going off of some site reviews or do you actually own one?
    m
    l
    January 14, 2013 5:26:10 PM

Thermaltake Level 10 Series (HDD Bays are all hot swappable) cases will work as well. The Thermaltake Level 10 GTS is on sale today for $50.

I read a couple reviews that gave it mixed ratings but were based on its base price of $100-115. Anyone have any info/thoughts/recommendations on this one? Does it suddenly become a much better case in the $50 price range?
    m
    l
    !