Your question

Dell XPS 200 power issue when add CPU

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Dell Studio Xps
  • Power
Last response: in CPUs
December 28, 2012 2:49:35 PM

I have a Dell XPS 200 that died. I was told it was the motherboard so I replaced. No dice. Discovered issue with PSU. Replaced. Got power to the machine but still wouldn't turn on. Had a flashing yellow light on power button. I disconnected all devices and checked power each time I attached a device. I ended up discovering that only when I added the CPU chip did it fail. So I replaced CPU (Pentium D 845). I still have the same issue. I've tried both motherboards with same result. When I put in the CPU the power fails. Without it the machine powers on. What could it be?

More about : dell xps 200 power issue add cpu

a c 156 à CPUs
December 28, 2012 6:21:11 PM

dakotag said:
I have a Dell XPS 200 that died. I was told it was the motherboard so I replaced. No dice. Discovered issue with PSU. Replaced. Got power to the machine but still wouldn't turn on. Had a flashing yellow light on power button. I disconnected all devices and checked power each time I attached a device. I ended up discovering that only when I added the CPU chip did it fail. So I replaced CPU (Pentium D 845). I still have the same issue. I've tried both motherboards with same result. When I put in the CPU the power fails. Without it the machine powers on. What could it be?

Is this the same CPU that came with the computer or did you upgrde. If you upgraded than my first thought would be the CPU is not compatible with the motherboard. If it is still the same CPU than it sounds like the CPU is bad. The only way to know for sure is to place a compatible known good CPU in the socket. If it boots fine then there is something wrong with original CPU. If it still doesn't boot than it would be a mother board problem.
m
l
December 28, 2012 6:27:35 PM

Thanks for the reply. I replaced the original CPU with a new one. The original one was a Pentium D 820 ghz. I replaced it with a Pentium D 845 ghz which, according to the Dell specifications for this model, should be fine. The specs list "Pentium D 8XXX" which I was told means any 800 series chip.
m
l
Related resources
a c 156 à CPUs
December 28, 2012 6:34:35 PM

So what happens if you put the old one in, does it boot?

What happens if you put the new one in does it do the same thing?
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 28, 2012 9:17:34 PM

dakotag said:

So you have replaced the PSU, motherboard, and cpu and it still wont power up?
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 28, 2012 9:19:56 PM

Maybe the CPU you bought is a bad one, too.
m
l