I want to upgrade my graphics card but need your help, please.

matlewi9

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012
I have a Dell inspiron 570 which I bought from Dell about 2 years ago. I can play some games on it like WoW but they do not work very well due mostly i think to my graphics card, a ATI Radeon 5450.

I am looking to upgrade the graphics card for about £100. From research that i understand i probably need to update my psu aswell but I am willing to pay extra for that.

Anyone who is willing to give me any advice or guidance on what i could or should get is very welcome.

From looking in the computer I find it hard to find anything out. The psu at the moment has a few SATA leads and a main one for the mother board nothing else.

I don;t think space is much of a problem inside the case as there is a fair amount of room.

I have tried doing a computer specification thing below. Not sure why the motherboard is unknown. The label on it has a symbol looking like a backwards R and a forward U followed by US.

Hope some of the information I have given helps.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post.

Computer:
Operating System Windows 7 Home Premium Home Edition
OS Service Pack None
Internet Explorer 9.0.8112.16421
Computer Name MAT-PC
User Name Mat
Logon Domain Mat-PC

Motherboard:
CPU Type Unknown, 2800 MHz
Motherboard Name Unknown
Motherboard Chipset Unknown
System Memory 8192 MB
BIOS Type Unknown

Display:
Video Adapter ATI Radeon HD 5450
Video Adapter ATI Radeon HD 5450
Monitor Dell IN2010N(Analog) [NoDB] (C249N9BU330S)
Monitor Generic PnP Monitor [NoDB]

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter High Definition Audio Controller [NoDB]
Audio Adapter High Definition Audio Controller [NoDB]

Storage:
Disk Drive Generic- Compact Flash USB Device
Disk Drive Generic- MS/MS-Pro/HG USB Device
Disk Drive Generic- SD/MMC USB Device
Disk Drive Generic- SM/xD-Picture USB Device
Disk Drive SanDisk Cruzer USB Device
Disk Drive Seagate Desktop USB Device
Disk Drive ST31000528AS ATA Device
Optical Drive IRAPADG CLAF8PUZW SCSI CdRom Device
Optical Drive MagicISO Virtual DVD-ROM0000
Optical Drive PLDS DVD+-RW DH-16AAS ATA Device

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 942854 MB (311449 MB free)
J: (NTFS) 953867 MB (317647 MB free)

Input:
Keyboard Logitech HID-Compliant Keyboard
Mouse Logitech HID-compliant Cordless Mouse

Network:
Primary MAC Address F0-7B-CB-38-99-44
Network Adapter Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet (192.168.1.4)
Network Adapter DW1525 (802.11n) WLAN PCIe Card (192.168.1.5)
Network Adapter Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter

Peripherals:
Printer Epson Stylus Office BX525WD(Network)
Printer Fax
Printer Microsoft XPS Document Writer
USB Device USB Composite Device
USB Device USB Input Device
USB Device USB Input Device
USB Device USB Mass Storage Device

--------[ CPU ]---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CPU Properties:
CPU Type Unknown, 2800 MHz
CPU Alias ClawHammer S940
L1 Code Cache 64 KB
L1 Data Cache 64 KB
L2 Cache 512 KB (On-Die, Full-Speed)

Multi CPU:
CPU #0 AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 630 Processor, 2800 MHz
CPU #1 AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 630 Processor, 2800 MHz
CPU #2 AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 630 Processor, 2800 MHz
CPU #3 AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 630 Processor, 2800 MHz

CPU Physical Info:
Package Type 940 Pin uCPGA
Package Size 4.00 cm x 4.00 cm
Transistors 105.9 million
Process Technology 9Mi, 0.13 um, CMOS, Cu, SOI
Die Size 193 mm2
Core Voltage 1.50 V
I/O Voltage 1.2 V + 2.5 V
Maximum Power 89.0 W (depending on clock speed)

matlewi9

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012
After further reading, does a Radeon HD 6850 card sound good? I assume I would need to update PSU aswell would a Corsair enthusiast 650W be ok?

Sorry if it sounds like I know nothing, it is probably because it is true. lol.

you're doing fine. and a corsair enthusiast 650W would be a great addition to your case. I'm looking through your computer specs (or looking for it rather) on dell's website. I'll get back to you in a few

in the meantime, what's your budget? what monitor resolution do you use or plan to get? and what do you want the card for? (I assume gaming, in which case what type of games do you play?)

also, just making sure, you're in the United States right?

Edit... NVM, saw your budget. and you're in the UK...

matlewi9

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012
I have not come across MSI before, are they a good make, all you seem to hear about is ATI/AMD or NVIDIA.
I will get the PSU thanks.
VAT is value added tax, basically adds money onto anything to pay tax on it. Gives two prices because some people can claim VAT back off items for specific reasons.

Would I be able to use a Radeon 6850? If so which would be better, the MSI 6870 or the Radeon 6850

matlewi9

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012
Sorry for replying to your replies in small parts. I keep missing bits.

Is the MSI 6870 the same as the Radeonhd 6870. Might be a stupid question but thought i would ask?

there are only two companies in graphics, ATI/AMD and Nvidia. both comapnies have partners that assemble their video cards for them... all AMD/Nvidia do is design the graphics processing chip, test it, and design a recommended board to go with it (the reference design).

MSI is one of AMD's partners, along with Sapphire, XFX, Power Color, HIS, Gigabyte and Asus just to name the big ones

some of Nvidia's partners include: EVGA, MSI, Asus, Gigabyte, Gainward, PNY, and Zotac.

so the MSI card I linked you is actually a Radeon 6870, directly 1 step up from a 6850. and it should be powerful enough to max just about everything at your resolution.

Lastly, yes, you would be able to use the radeon 6850 just fine. the 6870's just a bit more powerful. if you don't think you need the extra power or can't spend that much, the 6850 will be just fine.

Of course you are allowed. all are welcome here.

I was only checking so that I can link you to the correct shopping websites and make sure I'm looking at the correct prices. a sale in the US won't help you since you're in the UK

Basically what MSI does is make the graphics cards based on the chips sent by the manufacturer, at least I think. The way I see it, its like how they used to build cars in the 20's and 30's. Rolls Royce would supply the chassis of the car to the buyer, and it was up to the buyer to find a coachbuilder for the car. Like someone to make the body.

To my understanding, it is kinda like that. ATi and Nvidia supply the chips, and brands like MSi take the chips, put them on a PCB, and put their own cooler on it. I may be wrong, but at least that puts it into perspective.

The 6850 would go fine with a Corsair Enthusiast 650W, but if you want to save money, then you can get a Corsair 500W, which will work fine for the 6850 as well. Also the 6870.

matlewi9

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012
I am thinking that the Radeon hd6870 will do good for me. I want to play loads of games on the pc but a few years ago found I never had the right graphics card for the game. I think with this I will be back in business. Is their anything specific I need to know about installing these products. I have changed things around inside a comp before so know about static etc but never done a graphics card or PSU.

Pretty much, the amount that card maker can deviate from what is known as the "reference design" PCB will depend on the licence that the card maker has with the GPU supplier i.e. AMD or Nvidia.

well, TECHNICALLY, don't TSMC make all the chips for both companies? but that's a discussion for another thread haha

changing a graphics card is easy. PSU's much more complicated

I recommend watching through this series by Newegg. changing your power supply unit's basically like rebuilding your PC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPIXAtNGGCw&feature=related

For the moment they do, yes. But they still have to adhere to the designs and wafer/yield/payment contracts that they have made in separate arrangements. ;)

And again, yes this is a discussion for another time and thread. :ange: