Sign in with
Your question

System occasionally crashes at boot when I add a second GPU

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 23, 2012 6:48:30 PM

I've inherited an extra 8800 GTS 320MB unit lately, and since it was lying around the house aimlessly I decided to try sticking in with my own 8800.

Basically, when I run my computer with a single card, there is no problem. When I plug in the second card, my computer crashes at the XP logo screen with the loading bar. However, this isn't always the case. If I hit the reset button, the system usually goes through. Sometimes it takes a second reset but eventually XP manages to start up.

My motherboard is an Abit AW9D-MAX and while the chipset is intended for CrossFire rather than SLI, for some odd reason I received an SLI bridge with it. Doing a little research I found out I can trick the drivers to work by faking the compatibility of the chipset as SLI-ready and enabling SLI in the drivers. For this I use HyperSLI.

However, I don't think it is the hacking of the drivers because the problem persists with or without them.

I thought it might be that my PSU can't provide enough juice, but after a little googling it seems the majority consensus is that there are only two possible results: working or not working.

EDIT: I just found out that my SiI 3132 drivers aren't starting. I'm trying to figure out why that is and if I can do anything about it.

Within the spoiler tag are my specifications
Quote:

Some off-brand 750W PSU (I can't even find it on Google)

Abit AW9D-MAX

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750

4x 1GB DDR2 RAM sticks

2x EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB

Realtek SoundCard that comes with the motherboard (I don't know what the model is)

2x 320GB HDDs (One is Seagate other is WDC, both are 7,500 RPM I believe)

DVD-RW

5x 12cm Fans (4 of them are 0.16A at 12V so about 2W per fan)

Does anyone have any idea what's going on? Is it actually the power or driver issues?

If you guys need anymore information, let me know.

Thanks for help!

More about : system occasionally crashes boot add gpu

a c 181 U Graphics card
June 24, 2012 4:25:35 AM

Have you tried both cards one by one to see if the card you got is good? And is your card the exact same as the card you recieved? Are both cards set up for SLI? Let us know and good luck.
m
l
a c 99 U Graphics card
June 24, 2012 7:00:11 AM

I'd suggest what DM186 recommends. If it still doesn't work try the newer drivers. Also, please tell us what Power Supply Unit you have and how much Wattage it gives.

There is a newer driver on Nvidia, just look for it and try to update your driver.

Select the Geforce 8 Series->select your card->and you operating system (XP or XP 64-bit)
http://www.geforce.com/drivers

My guess is that your PSU can't run both cards because these cards use so much power.
m
l
Related resources
June 24, 2012 3:30:56 PM

Quote:
Have you tried both cards one by one to see if the card you got is good? And is your card the exact same as the card you recieved? Are both cards set up for SLI? Let us know and good luck.

I probably should have tested both cards one at a time before I tried plugging them both together. The second card broke a while ago that's why my sister bought a new one, however, right after she bought it, my dad stuck the thing in the oven... and it worked.

I tried installing both cards separately, however, the error still persists, this time for both cards separately. However, I noticed I had to re-enable the SiI 3132 drivers in Device Manager and having powered the computer off and on it didn't get stuck on the loading screen (I'll probably try a couple more times just to be sure).

Both models are the exact same thing. They are both EVGA 8800 GTS 320MB.

I'm not sure what you mean if they are set up for SLI. I've ran a game to check if SLI is in effect and the drivers report that it is (the indicator shows up).

Quote:
If it still doesn't work try the newer drivers. Also, please tell us what Power Supply Unit you have and how much Wattage it gives.

I installed the newest drivers I could find on Nvidia's website just yesterday.

The Power Supply is a 750W unit from Worldwide Marketing (I think. I can't see the label because it's facing the back plate of the case XD). If I remember correctly, the model is PSH750S-D, however, searching for it only ever landed me at reviews of a Thermaltake PSU.
m
l
a c 273 U Graphics card
June 24, 2012 3:37:55 PM

Neither of the previous posters seem to have noticed that the Abit AW9D-MAX is a Crossfire only motherboard, or maybe they just didn't know... :whistle: 
m
l
June 24, 2012 3:41:05 PM

Yup, I mentioned in the OP that the motherboard is not inherently for SLI which is why I am using HyperSLI to trick the drivers for enabling it.
m
l
a c 273 U Graphics card
June 24, 2012 7:53:21 PM

boogyman19946 said:
Yup, I mentioned in the OP that the motherboard is not inherently for SLI which is why I am using HyperSLI to trick the drivers for enabling it.

And has that worked for you before?
m
l
June 25, 2012 1:07:46 AM

This is the first time I had two cards together in one PC so I cannot say it has.

In light of this whole SLI business, I decided it's best that I just go buy a new graphics card altogether. I bought a Radeon HD 6770. I can't say for sure that SLI has worked properly for me but it did give me decent benefits. But ultimately, the Radeon single handedly doubled that gain, so it seems hardly worth the trouble ^.^ Thanks for the help guys!
m
l
a c 181 U Graphics card
June 25, 2012 3:41:40 AM

We did notice that OP said that it was CF MOBO and that he was using hyper SLI on it and it seemed to work for the OP. If OP didn't say anything about it, it would have my first clue as to why it didn't work.

Mousemonkey I am glad you are on the watch because we all do make mistakes and I am one of those who do. Thanks for looking out.
m
l
a c 99 U Graphics card
June 25, 2012 3:48:02 AM

+1^

Same here, I would've red-flagged the problem to the crossfire-only mobo. Mousemonkey good looking out though :) 
m
l
a c 273 U Graphics card
June 25, 2012 7:35:37 PM

DM186 said:
We did notice that OP said that it was CF MOBO and that he was using hyper SLI on it and it seemed to work for the OP. If OP didn't say anything about it, it would have my first clue as to why it didn't work.

Mousemonkey I am glad you are on the watch because we all do make mistakes and I am one of those who do. Thanks for looking out.

fantastik250 said:
+1^

Same here, I would've red-flagged the problem to the crossfire-only mobo. Mousemonkey good looking out though :) 

NP chaps, I saw the Hyper SLi thing too but I've just never had much faith in that type of software.
m
l
!