Why does our wifi freeze several times a day

chkirla

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
Hello,
connected to time warner we have a belkin 2.4ghz 802.11g g-router. The internet on the main desktop is on and used constantly all day, with 2 laptops and ipad used intermittently.
Constantly thorughout the day the internet freezes up and has to be unplugged and restarted though there is no pattern to the freeze, perhaps only be the main desktop may be in use alone, perhaps all the above may be in use. Should I upgrade service from time warner or upgrade my older router. If it's the router any suggestions, I realise mine is several years old

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

This is not the only possible reason but it's worth mentioning, especially since all your systems are similarly affected, it points to the router or the connection. Go into th erouters settings - type 192.168.2.1 into the address bar of Internet Explorer to get there - and change the network namee or SSID and the wireless security key. I know all the computers wlil have to be told the new key but it's worth it too see if things improve.

My suggestion is based on the possibility of someone else being connected and perhaps downloading large amounts which takes your bandwidth down to a point where there's none left for you.

Please post back if that doesn't help matters.