SLI faillure ? Gtx680

Status
Not open for further replies.

kemperkipie

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
I have problems with my GTX680 4GB in SLI
(2x Palit Jetstream GTX 680 4GB)

Now i've installed my GPU's and set up SLI configuration.. I've set it at "Maximum 3D performance" and PhysX set at "Auto-select"
But when I start any game, the screen starts showing double, or triple, and keeps flickering....
First time I installed I thought I fixed it by setting drivers to the WHQL ceritfied, instead of Béta.. But now I've rearranged cables in my case, where i had to get my gpu's out.. Now i have them back in, without any settings changed, it start flickering again..
But I already have the WHQL drivers.. So maybe something else fixed it?
What can i do? :O

baddad

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006

Do you have stereoscopic 3d turn on, if so turn it off.

kemperkipie

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
PC setup:

i7 - 3770k (Stock clocks atm)
16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws @2133
Asus Sabertooth Z77
Corsair Force 240GB Sata III (6 GB/S)
2X GTX 680 Jetstream 4GB (SLI)
XFX 1050W Black edition
Zalman Z11 Plus (case)

I have turned 3D Stereoscopic off
Still doesn't work :(

I'm pretty sure it's the SLI-configuration that is wrong.
However, when I disable SLI, it works fine.
How can I make both of them work in SLI configuration?

i have that mb. make sure you use the usb flash back and install 0906 then 1012 bios then the 1206 bios. the 906 and 1012 put the ib cpu code into the bios and updates it for memory and usb devices. after the last update hit f5 save and exit then power down and use the clear the cmos jumper. if you dont you may get the mb wont shut down issue. in the bios set the pci video as first video and then turn of onboard intel video and turn off mvp chipset. if you installed the lucent mvp software uninstall it and then reboot and reinstall your video drivers...the lucent mvp and nvidia 301 drivers dont work. also check in the bios that both pci slot are running pci 3.0 mode and that both slots are running in 8x mode. if it a mb chipset issue try setting the pci bus speed to version 2,.0 in the bios.

kemperkipie

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
Wow, can someone clear that out a bit. It's a bit confusing.

I currently have Bios 1015 (had 0906 when I bought it). I haven't installed 1206 yet, because I'm scared I'll screw something up. What is the best, and safest way to update my bios. And if I screw up, is there a way to recover my Bios?

What exactly is "cmos jumper"?
And I already turned off iGPU, and uninstalled MVP software.

So what exactly do I have to do know, and how? Can you explain in steps, like:
1. Download bios and extract to clean Fat32 (or NTFS) usb-device, and name it ****??
2. Put it in that special bios flashback USB slot, and then?
3. ....

But I still think it's weird, because before I re-arranged my PC, it worked perfectly fine. And without changing settings, it doesn't work now.

kemperkipie

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
Oh, help!
I tried some more settings, but if I start a game now, it gives a solid red screen, with sometimes black flickering at the bottom. Are my GPU's defect?

But they only do this on full screen! Never on windowed mode!

start by powering down and checking the bridge cable to see that it on tight and that all the power plugs to the video card and mb and connected. try a drive sweeper then install the newest drivers from nvidia. in the case check that there no wires in any of the fans. (small or larger) and that the cpu fan is still plugged in and on. check that you did not drape any wires over any of the video cards.

kemperkipie

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
I tried flipping the SLI-bridge around, and re-attaching it. I checked all cables, and they're all good.. Still keeps flickering, no red screen tho!

Also updated my Bios to 1206.. Still not working :(

kemperkipie

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
Some more information:
It happens ONLY when I start a game in full-screen! Windowed mode works fine!
I tried to record it, so I could upload and show you. When I was recording, the screen was flickering all the time. But when I played back the movie, it was just normal. Even when I use Windows Media player on fullscreen!

So I think it produces the graphics just fine, but just shows it 2 or 3 times on 1 screen and keeps flickering while doing that. Very strange to explain.

I hope someone can help

kemperkipie

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
I downloaded "Drive-sweeper" this morning, but didnt had time to use it. I'll try it when I get home from work.

Any other suggestions if it doesn't work? I hope it works tho :D

And can someone confirm this is a software/driver failure, and not a Hardware problem, because it's only on fullscreen, while windowed mode works perfectly fine.. I'm still a bit worried that I wasted 1200 :S

kemperkipie

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
Swiped my drivers in safe mode, reinstalled the WHQL driver, same problem :(

Any other options?

If it's on fullscreen mode only, can it even be a hardware defect?

RussK1

Splendid

I'd troubleshoot the PCIe slots and bridge. Try each card individually in each slot and no problems get another bridge.

kemperkipie

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
I tried both cards in both PCIe slots multiple times, today I'll get a new SLI-bridge. And I will try PCIe 2.0 set-up as well, when I get home from work.
Thnx for the advice, I'll let you know how it turns out

kemperkipie

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
Ok.. I tried to find another SLI-bridge, but they don't sell them around here, they all say it's delivered with your motherboard. So I called the company where I bought my motherboard, and they could send me one for free.. So within a few days it'll arrive...

anyway, when I got home. It suddenly worked! Tested with BF3, Crysis 2 and Saints Row the Third.
I haven't changed a single thing, haven't touched anything, it just works?!

First it worked, I thought WTF IS THIS, so i alt-tabbed to check if both GPU's were running in SLI, when I alt-tabbed back into the game, the problem was back, so I was dissapointed..
Like one and a half hour later, I tried it again, and it worked !! Again!! Now I alt-tabbed again, and it still works, both GPU's run in SLI, for some reason it just works.. :D and it still works (5 hours later).. Even after reboot!

Anyway, i'm very happy that it works again.. Although i'm not very pleased of the fact it happened so "suddenly". Because now I still don't know what is wrong, and what I have to do next time it happens or someone else has the same problem :(

Now i'm still getting that SLI-Bridge sent to me, will double SLI-Bridge do anything? Will it be like a fail-over redundancy set-up (like a back-up bridge)? Or will it even improve the SLI? Or perhaps decrease the SLI performance.. Or would be putting a SLI bridge on the 2nd SLI connector useless anyway because it perhaps only syncronizes it with a potentional 3rd GPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.