Will 450W be enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

insurgentx

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
Hello :hello:

First let me introduce myself, I'm a new member but I visit the forum often to look for many information because I am still green on building a pc.

I was planning to build a low budget pc with this specification:

CPU: AMD Zambezi FX-6200 AMD AM3
Mainboard: ASRock N68-VS3 FX AMD Socket AM3
GPU: Sapphire HD 7770 Vapor-X OC 1Gb 128Bit DDR5
Memory: Venomrx 4Gb PC 1600 Venomrx DDR3
Harddisk: Toshiba Sata III 500Gb 7200rpm 3.5 Inch
Optical Drive: Lite On DVDRW Sata 24x
Case: Power Up Basic No PSU

And I was planning to get this one as PSU:

THERMALTAKE Lite Power 450W

Will 450W be enough for the specifications I mentioned above?

Regards :)

Solution

dcsinc72

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012
I agree with o1die completely. I've built many budget gamers over the years and I ALWAYS try to exceed "minimum requirements" if for no other reason than planning for future video card upgrades. Many of the newer cards now are suggesting 500w or even more. One additional unit I can recommend from personal experience is shown below.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3276574&CatId=1079

Ultra is TigerDirect's "private label" brand, but these units have a lifetime warranty and have always served me well.

Solution
For a system using a single Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 23 Amps or greater and have at least one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Sufficient Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) rated at 45°C - 50°C ambient temperature, is the most critical factor.

You may find power supplies on the market that supply more than enough Wattage to run the system. However, some of them lack Sufficient Amperage capacity on the critical +12 Volt rail, which is necessary to properly power the critical components in the system (i.e. CPU and GPUs). This is the reason why graphics card manufacturers overstate the power supply wattage, usually by at least 50 Watts, to take into account some of those power supplies that have the weaker +12 Volt rail(s).

Even the following is more than enough:

Corsair Builder Series CX430 (CP-9020046-??)
• combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 32 Amps
• one (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector
more than sufficient to power your system configuration with a single Radeon HD 7770

I maintain a gpu/pc power requirements chart based on recommendations from AMD and nVidia:

http://www.johnnylucky.org/graphic-cards/gpu-power-requirements.html

According to AMD, a 500 watt power supply is recommended for a pc equipped with a Radeon HD 7770 video card. AMD's recommendation is conservative. It allows for overclocking during harcore gaming. In all proability you would never use the full 500 watts while playing games. Most reviews indicate a desktop- pc uses about 300 watts during gaming with an occasional spike to 400 watts. In all probability a good quality 450 watt power supply should be okay providing there is sufficient amperage on the 12 volt rail(s).

The good news is that unlike several other Thermaltake models, the Lite Power 450 did not make the PSU Lemon list:

http://www.johnnylucky.org/power-supplies/psu-lemon-list.html

Unfortunately the Lite Power 450 is a discontinued model so it is not in the list of recommended psu's that I maintain which is listed in a sticky at the very top of this forum section:

http://www.johnnylucky.org/power-supplies/psu-recommendations.html

The Lite Power 450 is an older model from 2009. It is a discontinued model that is no longer in production. Based on technical reviews the psu is considered to be a good basic entry level power supply. It is an appropriate choice for typical mainstream computing. Being an entry model there are some nice to have features that are missing. It only comes with one SATA power cable with a few SATA connectors. Luckily you only listed one optical drive and one hard disk drive. Otherwise it should be okay unless you are planning on some very serious hardcore overclocking while going on a do or die suicide mission to save our planet from alien invaders.

Status
Not open for further replies.