bentek

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012
Hi everyone, i'm currently tired of my current PC not being able to run any of the games coming out because of how sucky it is so i'm going to get a job(first one ever and i'm 16) to build a new PC. Thing is, i've never built anything electronic before so I have no idea what i'm doing, which is why I came here. I hope i'm posting correctly and ty!

Approximate Purchase Date: 2-3 months

Budget Range: $700-1000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, surfing the internet, video editing, movies

Are you buying a monitor: Well idk i could use some recommendations

Parts to Upgrade: I'm building a whole new PC so i don't think this is relative to me

Do you need to buy OS: yes/windows

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: my friend said http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/ is a great place but of course if you know a better be my guest~

Location: City, State/Region, Country - USA, San Jose, California(I'm an atheist but my parents are christian)

Parts Preferences: I don't really know, preferably one best for gaming..

Overclocking: I read somewhere that gaming PCs need this so yes..

SLI or Crossfire: I don't know what these 2 mean, could someone explain?

Your Monitor Resolution: Once agian, I don't really know what I should get..

Additional Comments: well i would love if it had those lights on the side/bottom/top/from like the ones in gaming PC pictures but not too expensive~

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: my current PC is terrible.

sidenote: I really want to play games like DayZ(ARMAII) so it would be awesome if this PC could run it!

Solution

Nw333

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012
An OS is an operating system. Its basically a bunch of numbers at its most basic form. ( windows, mac os or whatever they use now, etc.)
You dont really need to OC, it is not important for a gaming pc, you will ony get a slight difference.
SLI/Xfire is the act of putting 2 nVidia/Radeon cards in the mobo and having them run at the same time. (respectively)
Also try: www.newegg.com
Id make you a build but I have school. :p

bentek

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012

So, putting windows would just mean windows 7? If I don't get OC it would not really effect me at all? i read at some forum that you need it for this one thing i forgot but gaming computers really need it..

also, do you suggest i d sli/xfire?

Nw333

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012
Yes, windows 7. If you dont OC some of your hardware will run at stock speeds, meaning, if you OC them, they will run a bit faster. You wont notice a significant difference though. I only suggest SLI/Xfire in the future, so you get 1 high end card now and add in another when needed.

bentek

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012

oh k well thanks for all this great info i guess ill just leave that at no. also, when someone does recommend a build, do i just buy all those parts and put it all together(a build that i like of course)?

sorry if i sound stupid saying that, i really dont know what im doing

this is a build id get. no overclocking and crossfire to keep things simple and cheap

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/e7K6

if you want more speed, you can get a samsung 830 128gb SSD (basically a hard drive on steroids) for 100 dollars at us.ncix.com

there are many building guides out there that are great such as the newegg how to build a computer series

you can get the os from this guy if you trust him. someone here got his os from him and had no problems

http://us.ebid.net/for-sale/microsoft-windows-home-premium-x-71238157.htm

aqualipt

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
Hmmmm...1000$?? OK here you go:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 612 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($36.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($52.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($114.98 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($209.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Scout ATX Mid Tower Case ($66.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair 650W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $966.90

If you have the extra cash replace the 7850 with a 7870.

Btw...because this is your first time building PCs i sent you a few guides and tips, check your messages http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum1.php?config=tomshardwareus.inc&cat=prive&page=1

Solution

bentek

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012
out of thebigtroll and aqualipt, which would be better?

and aqualipt, would that pc be able to play crysis 2 in lowest-medium settings(using it as an example because if it could then it must be good), or ARMAII: DayZ?

also, if i bought it from either of those 2, would it come prebuilt or do i have to put it all together(if so im doomed cuz i really dont know how)?

aqualipt

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

from an objective point of view by build is better, it has a stronger and overclockable CPU, better motherboard, a quiet and efficient heatskin, a REALLY fast SSD, better case and PSU.

and aqualipt, would that pc be able to play crysis 2 in lowest-medium settings

wtf bro?? that build can easily handle Crysis @1080p with high details and some filters activated

bentek

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012

hmm ok, but since you listed them by parts at different websites, do i just buy them all and once they come just put it all together?

aqualipt

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

hm... yes. i mean...not because you buy everything from different websites means that the parts are going to be different :lol:

If that's it pick a best answer to close this thread

bentek

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012

i dont quite understand what you said

aqualipt

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

Nothing...don't worry, EVERYTHING is compatible, it doesnt matter where you buy it from, the only reason i listed the parts from different websites is because some websites have the same items than others but cheaper :D

bentek

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012

ok, so i basically buy all those parts you listed and put them all together and boom i got my pc?

is their a place i can go to to help me put it all together cuz i know ill mess up :/

aqualipt

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

Yes, just put them together.

building a PC is easy, even a mild retarded person can build one, simply check the guides in sent you.

bentek

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012

do i need a sound card?

Actually, they're both pretty much equals. One just has a feature that really isn't necessary for gaming, but nice to play with (overclocking). You don't need to overclock an i5 to keep pace with a 7850, 7870 or a 7970 for that matter.

aqualipt

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

they are not equal, my build has an SSD, better PSU, case and motherboard.

bentek

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012

well then, i guess im going with your build, time to save up and get that job!

although i think ill keep this thread open for future questions!

Are we having a .... measuring contest or are we recommending how someone invest their money? Lets keep perspective.

Heres some perspective, that price on the 3570K from MicroCenter is In-store only. That means unless the OP lives near a MicroCenter store, hes not getting that price. He'll be paying 220-240 everywhere else for it.

As far as PSU. Well, they're both made by Seasonic, so they're both high quality. 400 watts is sufficient for an i5-3450 and a 7850 video card, 650 watts is more than the OP actually needs for the setup. But, I won't argue the point too much, theres nothing wrong with overbuying on the PSU a little bit, a good PSU can last you 10 years or 2 or 3 computer builds easily.

Really? I don't recall ever interacting with you on the forums and I picked up on the condescending attitude. I'm not looking for a fight here, but perhaps you should take a step back and consider it, if 2 people are in agreeance about it. I know I've been that way myself at times, we are not always the most objective judges of ourselves.