desktop icons will not work

I have a user whose destop icons stopped responding. she now gets an error
message that says "Windows cannot access the specific device, path, or file.
you may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."
This person has administrative rights on the computer. This message comes up
with about 1/2 of the desktop icons. She is able to access the programs going
through Windows Explorer or through all programs icon.
I have tried to delete the icons and readd them but still get the same
message.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
1 answer Last reply
More about desktop icons work

    Sam, sounds like she may have a problem with Malware. Use ALL of these
    free websites to check

    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

    http://www.webroot.com/

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321CD7A2-6A57-4C57-A8BD-DBF62EDA9671&displaylang=en

    http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/index.html?source=appvisit

    "Sam" <Sam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a user whose destop icons stopped responding. she now gets an error
    > message that says "Windows cannot access the specific device, path, or
    > file.
    > you may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."
    > This person has administrative rights on the computer. This message comes
    > up
    > with about 1/2 of the desktop icons. She is able to access the programs
    > going
    > through Windows Explorer or through all programs icon.
    > I have tried to delete the icons and readd them but still get the same
    > message.

Configuration Desktop Icons Windows XP