Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Steps to Build my PC?

Last response: in Systems
Share
August 13, 2012 1:01:23 PM

I have built two or three of my own PCs in the past. It certainly isn't that I don't know how to put it together, but I'm wondering what the most efficient way to put it together will be. I'll be building in a Cooler Master HAF 912 case with an ASRock Z77 Extreme4 motherboard and a cooler master hyper 212 evo CPU cooler.

An obvious bad idea would be to install the CPU cooler before installing the ram. I'd have to disconnect the CPU cooler to put in the RAM. I'm thinking the power supply should go in first and the motherboard second. Basically looking for anything that has changed in the last 5 years since I last built my own PC to save me some headaches later tonight.

Full Build specs

Cooler Master HAF 912 Mid-Tower Case
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 Motherboard
Intel i5 3570K CPU
8GB DDR3-1600 Crucial Ballistix Sport RAM (2x4GB)
HIS IceQ Turbo 7950 Video Card
SeaSonic 620W Power supply (non-modular)
Samsung 830 series 128gb SSD
random Samsung DVD Burner drive
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo CPU cooler
Windows 7 Home Premium 64

More about : steps build

August 13, 2012 1:17:54 PM

The way I've always built computers was install the CPU and put on the Heatsink. Install the RAM, and then put everything into the case. Then I install the DVD Drive/SSD's. Put in the PSU and do all the cable management and leave the 2 6-pin power connectors for the video card to the side, make sure everything is neat and then plug in the video card.
m
0
l
August 13, 2012 1:22:28 PM

I just built almost the exact setup a month ago. Same case, CPU and motherboard. I went with the Hyper 212 plus cooler and a 7850. Put the PSU in first, and then the motherboard. I was able to run all of mu power cables on the back side of the motherboard. Also I mounted my SSD and hard drive in backwards putting the connectors facing the same side with the power cables. This kept my case clean and I have very little impeding case flow. My idle temps are in the mid 30's and under load the cpu runs in the low 60's.
m
0
l
Related resources
August 13, 2012 1:27:22 PM

Slotter said:
The way I've always built computers was install the CPU and put on the Heatsink. Install the RAM, and then put everything into the case. Then I install the DVD Drive/SSD's. Put in the PSU and do all the cable management and leave the 2 6-pin power connectors for the video card to the side, make sure everything is neat and then plug in the video card.


Will the case or power supply come with zip ties or will that be something I'll likely have to go pick up?
m
0
l
August 13, 2012 1:29:14 PM

ss202sl said:
I just built almost the exact setup a month ago. Same case, CPU and motherboard. I went with the Hyper 212 plus cooler and a 7850. Put the PSU in first, and then the motherboard. I was able to run all of mu power cables on the back side of the motherboard. Also I mounted my SSD and hard drive in backwards putting the connectors facing the same side with the power cables. This kept my case clean and I have very little impeding case flow. My idle temps are in the mid 30's and under load the cpu runs in the low 60's.


One thing I've never tried myself is cable management. You indicated you ran your cables under your motherboard. Did you somehow tie the cables down to the back of the case under the motherboard? Any chance you have a picture of the finished product?

Thanks!
m
0
l
August 13, 2012 2:11:59 PM

ncasolo said:
One thing I've never tried myself is cable management. You indicated you ran your cables under your motherboard. Did you somehow tie the cables down to the back of the case under the motherboard? Any chance you have a picture of the finished product?

Thanks!

I did tie them to the case to keep them in place. If you look at the case, there are plenty of holes. Take the PSU cables ans put them through the large hole and leave them hanging out the side until you need them. The idea here is to minimize the cable inside the case so use the holes provided to run the cables as close to where they are needed. Once the cables have been run., then you can use the ties to make sure they stay in place, and are neat. i don't have pictures. I suppose I could take some tonight after I get home. Try this http://www.overclock.net/t/974308/cable-management-for-...
m
0
l
!