Sign in with
Your question

Whats causing my lag?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 23, 2012 9:16:44 PM

Normally I can play Battlefield 3 on high presets with around high 30's low 50's fps. But lately it goes from the 50's, dips to the 20's and goes up again. I have a decent internet connection, wired, around 28 mbps download and 8 upload.

This happens on a couple server, and a few that I frequently play on and haven't had any issues.

Whats causing my lag? I also play skyrim and haven't had any problems, so its not like my graphics card is dying.

More about : whats causing lag

a b U Graphics card
June 23, 2012 9:30:31 PM

FPS has nothing to do with internet connection. Maybe this happens only on larger maps? Try updating your drivers, and see if that helps.
m
l
June 23, 2012 9:48:21 PM

Drivers updated. And this most recently happened on grand bazaar. not large map.
m
l
Related resources
June 23, 2012 11:14:56 PM

I did more research and I think its because of lack of RAM. I have 4gb 1600 DDR3. Makes sense to me, what do you think?
Battlefield 3 alone uses like 3.5gb, at least thats what I heard.. That plus battlelog, skype, origin, antivirus, and other random programs are sucking up all my RAM. and extra 4gb would do, but I want a second opinion
m
l
a c 147 U Graphics card
June 24, 2012 2:03:02 AM

I agree that RAM is the likely culprit. It's definitely a hardware issue.

For the record what you describe is not lag. Lag would be an issue such as a delay from the time you press the fire button to when the server updates the image on your screen.

I've heard many reports that upgrading from 4GB to 8GB of RAM improved the problem.

My advice is:
1) upgrade to 8GB, and
2) lower your quality settings slightly
m
l
a c 147 U Graphics card
June 24, 2012 2:09:14 AM

I should also add that your graphics card actually buffers video memory into your System Memory. That's in addition to the space in System Memory taken by the actual game itself.

Increasing the quality level can raise the amount of System Memory used. This then makes less RAM available to other tasks such as the space needed to manage the larger map and people on the server.

That's just interesting stuff. Yes, definitely upgrade your RAM.
m
l
a c 181 U Graphics card
June 24, 2012 4:01:26 AM

^+1
I would agree with photonboy. Most gaming rig today have 8 or more gigs of Ram to smooth out game play. Good luck to you.

@photonboy I know this going to sound dumb but I though lag was like when you are looking at the screen and you see the movement stop go stop go etc. If lag is when giving a comand and a second or two later it is executed.

Which makes sence then what I am decribing is it stutter? I know it sounds stupid but that is what I though lag or lagging was called. I wonder how many other terms I have wrong? Cheers
m
l
June 25, 2012 2:15:06 AM

If thats not lag than what am I getting? My fps dips every 5 or so seconds from around high 30's to low 50's depending on the environment to like 25 fps, which obviously makes the game unplayable. It doesn't always happen, it seems to happen after playing for an hour or two. I also notice that my cpu usage stays between 90-100% (no surprise there) but could the cpu staying at 100% cause lag? I'm using an amd phenom II x4 965 at 4.ghz and H60 water cooler. Already tested for stability.
m
l
a c 181 U Graphics card
June 25, 2012 3:52:29 AM

Could you list all your system specs including your PSU brand and how many watts?
m
l
a c 99 U Graphics card
June 25, 2012 4:00:09 AM

I would like to see the system specs as well.
m
l
June 25, 2012 11:18:14 PM

AMD Phenom II X4 965 at 4GHZ, 1.46 v
Corsair H60 Watercooler, Push/Push Pull and arctic silver thermal compound
4GB Wintec DDR3 1600 RAM
MSI Radeon 6850 Cyclone Edition @ 935 core 1175 mem
Asus M5A97 AM3+ 970 Motherboard
5400RPM WD 500GB 250GB HDD
OCZ ModXTreme 600w Modular PSU

The lag just recently started happening, no hardware change or software anything.
m
l
June 25, 2012 11:28:53 PM

I can record a vid with fraps if that helps. cause I can't find anything on my particular problem. Only lag fix videos I see are turning down graphics or get a better connection. I even get this lag problem on low, and before this started I played on High presets.
m
l
a c 181 U Graphics card
June 26, 2012 1:16:37 AM

Do the recording because something came about that makes the definition of what lag is and compaired to stutter. So do the video and thanks for your spec's. Nice rig by the way
m
l
June 26, 2012 1:21:32 AM

Thanks its my first build. Saved up for a couple months :) 
m
l
a c 99 U Graphics card
June 26, 2012 2:04:22 AM

I noticed that the graphics card is overclocked. That's a pretty high overclock, if you reduce the clocks, tell us if you still experience stutter.
m
l
June 26, 2012 2:37:12 AM

k. I uploaded a quick vid to youtube so I can show you an example so you can better judge
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk1F8xS2szM&feature=yout...
As you can see when I die, the stutter makes it almost unplayable. Even though Fraps affected performance, this is almost an exact representation of my problem without FRAPS recording.

BTW I've read up on forums and OC on my card and i've heard people have gone even higher with stable results. i will try to underclock and tell you how it goes.
m
l
a c 181 U Graphics card
June 26, 2012 3:44:58 AM

That is stutter and that jerking around, now I see how it is hard to play. You have to remember when you read about how people OC their stuff might work for them and not for you.

Different everything. Maybe if you had exactly who was saying you can OC to that level then maybe. But different MOBO's etc will react differentially. So I agree try to run it at a lesser setting.

Have you added any RAM yet?
m
l
June 26, 2012 4:13:01 AM

No it won't be for a while, and as I stated before, I haven't changed anything on my hardware in a while this stutter just suddenly happened. The OC has been working out for a while
m
l
a c 99 U Graphics card
June 26, 2012 4:15:25 AM

I would assume it's the clocks. Even though it's a while, you'd need to stress test it to make sure it's stable for a considerable amount of time. Try and revert it to stock clocks, I am think you will probably not have issues with stutter. And DM186 is correct about overclocking, it may work for them but not for you.
m
l
June 26, 2012 4:19:13 AM

Okay I'll do that. One last thing I want to look into is that the AMD drivers I'm using, 12.4, have a few mixed reviews concerning Battlefield 3, so I might revert to 12.1 and see if that helps. If not I'll go back to stock clocks.
m
l
June 26, 2012 4:19:37 AM

Its your ram...Had same problem...then i added 16gb of ram in my system haha runs smooth as butter now
m
l
June 26, 2012 4:23:15 AM

man i need to get some cash lol. 8gb is enough I think. Too bad work for me doesn't start for another month, so I'm flat broke. At least Battlefield is the only game having this problem. I'll just do everything there is to do in Skyrim and try to beat Third Age: Total War :p 
m
l
June 26, 2012 4:26:19 AM

Haha yeah,8gb is more than enough for any game...I just edit alot of videos and stuff.
m
l
June 26, 2012 4:35:23 AM

This pc is 90% games, 5% youtube, 2 % FB and 3% "other"
m
l
June 26, 2012 4:41:45 AM

ah yeah 8gb will be plenty! :) 
m
l
a c 181 U Graphics card
June 26, 2012 4:49:34 AM

I have got all the total war's and the best one is Shogun 2 and I play it on ultra with my two worst gaming cards in world. You have done just about eveything you can do.
The next faze is the RAM.

Let us know if you found out anything new. Good luck to you
m
l
June 26, 2012 5:15:19 AM

I will. thanks a lot for the help.
m
l
June 26, 2012 5:18:11 AM

DM186 said:
I have got all the total war's and the best one is Shogun 2 and I play it on ultra with my two worst gaming cards in world. You have done just about eveything you can do.
The next faze is the RAM.

Let us know if you found out anything new. Good luck to you

2600k...16gb of ram,ssd and your using sli 550ti's? Whatever floats your boat i guess... :sol: 
m
l
June 26, 2012 2:56:15 PM

you should get a 64 bit system. with a 32 bit, the extra ram cant be used i think. it could be the ram, or the processor at fault here or it could be the game entities, or even the maps. try to close processes so as to "stop" ram hoggers. or set the priority to high or real time if you are crazy
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 26, 2012 3:03:43 PM

photonboy said:
I agree that RAM is the likely culprit. It's definitely a hardware issue.

For the record what you describe is not lag. Lag would be an issue such as a delay from the time you press the fire button to when the server updates the image on your screen.

I've heard many reports that upgrading from 4GB to 8GB of RAM improved the problem.

My advice is:
1) upgrade to 8GB, and
2) lower your quality settings slightly

He can also download gamebooster which is free and works very well.

I used it while I had 4gb ram and damn did it work, Now I have 8gb ram so It has no use to me anymore!
m
l
June 26, 2012 7:31:19 PM

I do have game booster but don't use it with Bf3
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 26, 2012 8:08:12 PM

N11Ckk123472 said:
I do have game booster but don't use it with Bf3

Well try using it for every game it should make a difference because when I was playing bf3 maxed out it was using 3.68 gb of ram so thats why you need to have more than 4gb of ram!
m
l
a c 181 U Graphics card
June 27, 2012 3:29:41 AM

EchoOne said:
2600k...16gb of ram,ssd and your using sli 550ti's? Whatever floats your boat i guess... :sol: 

Would you like the long version or the short? I don't have a SSD so you get the short version. At the time of putting this to gether a year ago. When this was my first build.

Not knowing that much about GPU's and didn't even know about this site. Money was getting low. So I opt for the two 550 Ti's. At the time I had no idea that the 550's were the worst gaming cards that nVidia put out.

And I don't get into first person games. I like strategy and RPG games and for the most part the 550's do prettey well. So when I see people on here thinking they want a 550 I share my experience about the card.

I don't judge them and I don't put them down and I never never say what floats your boat. If you wanted to know why my system is set up this way why don't you just ask next time you would get a lot more respect.

@OP I am sorry for side bar on your thread this is about you not me and why people feel that they have to side bar or belittle people when nobody has done anything to them. So I do apologize for stating in what I believe on your thread.
m
l
a c 99 U Graphics card
June 27, 2012 3:53:04 AM

@OP: How did it work out? Do you still have problems with the computer?
m
l
June 27, 2012 4:41:28 AM

I think I might've found the issue but idk how to solve it. I regularly manually update drivers for my gpu, but I just figured out it hasn't been updating! I just recently installed 12.4 for Catalysts, and it still shows that I have version 11.12. assuming this was a glitch with 12.4, i tried 12.3 and 12.1. same issue. I tried updating it through catalyst, and downloading it from their website. NOTHING...Any ways i can fix this? my outdated driver is most definately contributing to this.
m
l
June 27, 2012 5:12:22 AM

I installed 12.3 and still stuttering, I'll try 12.6, but I think the ultimate solution is more RAM
m
l
a c 99 U Graphics card
June 27, 2012 5:15:20 AM

Yes, try one stick of RAM at a time and see which one is giving problems.
m
l
a c 181 U Graphics card
June 27, 2012 5:27:41 AM

When you update your drivers do you use a driver sweeper to uninstall the old driver? Also when you in stall a new driver and you start the process when you come to the choices of install (recommended) or coustom.

Choose coustom and then on the next choice choose clean install it should take but you have to get rid of all the old drivers. Just a little more food for the thought. Good luck
m
l
June 27, 2012 6:49:23 AM

I uninstall drivers and I found a part of the problem. If you read my earlier posts I played BF3 fine on High presets before, and this recently started happening. After talking to a few team mates on a couple servers I've found I;m not the only one with this problem. Apparently the the new PB update or BF3 update is causing everyone to stutter horribly. So I guess I just have to wait it out

I am still buying another 4gb of RAM, though. 8GB is going to almost necessary within the next year or 2.
m
l
a c 181 U Graphics card
June 28, 2012 12:17:34 AM

Well that is good and bad news. The good part about it is you kind of know what the problem is and the bad is there isn't a fix for it at the moment. Do get the extra RAM it will help. Good luck to you and I hope everything works out for you. Cheers
m
l
June 28, 2012 7:32:50 AM

The extra RAM is a deffinate. Also, today I saw the words "Battlelog will be down for maintenance tomorrow" on the website and almost cried tears of joy :,D I hope this is the update I've been waiting for. Thanks for all the help and tips you've been giving me
m
l
a c 181 U Graphics card
June 28, 2012 9:39:06 PM

You are very welcome from me and I am sure from all others as well. I will be keeping my fingers crossec and I hope eveything turns out well. Good luct to you.
m
l
!