Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How did I do? Please help me with my order!

Last response: in Systems
August 13, 2012 1:57:44 PM

After some serious considerations and a lot of reading I have finally seemed to come to a conclusion on what to order for my first custom built computer. I had a lot of problems finding a good solution in the premade bundles from TD, not that they were all bad, but they all seemed to be lacking in one area, so I just selected everything myself.

I have about 1000 dollars to spend, but would rather go cheaper if I can, this comes in right around that. Just to preface, I really wanted to get the i7 chip and not the i5, but I will be using this computer for gaming and for sharing media so from what I read I just really did not need the i7.

Here is the set up.

Intel Core i5-3570K BX806237i53570K Processor - Quad Core, 6MB L3 Cache, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), Socket H2 (LGA1155), 77W, Fan, Unlocked, Retail

GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series Motherboard - ATX, Socket H2 (LGA1155), Intel Z77 Express, 1600MHz DDR3, SATA III (6Gb/s), RAID, 8-Ch Audio, Gigabit LAN, USB 3.0, PCIe 3.0, CrossFireX/SLI

EVGA 02G-P3-1568-KR GeForce GTX 560 Ti Video Card - 2GB, GDDR5, PCI-Express 2.0 (x16), Dual DVI, Mini-HDMI, DirectX 11, Dual-Slot, SLI Ready

Ultra LSP650 650-Watt Power Supply - ATX, SATA-Ready, SLI-Ready, 135mm Fan, Lifetime Warranty w/ Registration

Western Digital WD10EZEX Caviar Blue 1TB Hard Drive - SATA 6Gb/s, 3.5", 7200 RPM (I've never (knocking wood) had a problem with WD)

Corsair XMS3 CMX4GX3M1A1600C9 4GB PC12800 DDR3 RAM - Dual Channel, 1600MHz, 4096MB (2 sticks)

ThermalTake VN700M1W2N Overseer RX-I Full Tower Gaming Case - ATX, Micro-ATX, Extend ATX, 3 Ext 5.25", 1 Ext 3.5", 5 Int 3.5", 2x 200mm LED Fans, 1x 120mm Fan, 2 USB 3.0, 2 USB 2.0, 1 eSATA, Window

And a garbage DVD burner.

Does this look like a complete system? Did my research pay off? Any help will be genuinely appreciated.

More about : order

Best solution

August 13, 2012 5:38:42 PM

Nice.

Caviar Blue // instead maybe go WD black or equiv. the small $ difference will give you better boot time, level load time, etc. Maybe get a pair go raid.

I don't know Ultra LSP650 psu. Some other ultra PSUs got good reviews. 650w plenty.

Full tower!! this is a big case. Make sure cables on PSU are long enough

August 13, 2012 6:15:56 PM

The build looks good. The one thing I would consider is the RAM. I have 4GB in my system so I have an understanding of the needs. Game play will be fine but if you are like me with 40+ Google Chrome windows open(or even 20) while listening to music then you may want to upgrade. But the greatest thing is about custom desktops is you can upgrade the RAM when you see a good deal and have the $$$.

I always under estimate on RAM in my systems.. If you like to alt-tab a lot between your games to change songs, view websites for walk-thrus or anything then just consider a RAM upgrade in the future- look for deals on newegg.com or on the daily deals on Tomshardware.com

I have been really curious on how much better the native support for 1600MHz memory will help.

Hope that gives you some confidence,

HAPPY BUILDING :D 

Enjoy the new system
:sol: 

-Justin
m
l
Related resources
August 13, 2012 6:33:21 PM

All looks fine to me. My thoughts:

CPU & Mobo combo's at Microcenter (if you have one nearby) can't be beat. I got my 3570k & ASrock extreme 4 z77 for just under $300 after taxes, but you gotta go to the store to pick up.

I love my MOBO.

PSU - I'm not familiar with yours. I have a PC power and cooling Mk III 600w and it's been silent and strong to date.

I would not go below 8gb RAM. Newegg has a special today 8gb XMS 1600 for $41.

Finally, and only 'cause you asked. SSD ? You should be able to get a 128 gb (Samsung 830 or Crucial M4) for right at $100. I personally have a 180 GB Intel 330 and I love it! I know it's expensive but maybe reuse an hdd in addition to the SDD? If you use a SSD you will never go back to HDD and you will not regret.

Best of Luck!
m
l
August 13, 2012 10:29:28 PM

to all: I think OP meant 8GB memory when he said "CMX4GX3M1A1600C9 4GB PC12800 DDR3 RAM - Dual Channel, 1600MHz, 4096MB (2 sticks) " that's two sticks of a 4GB part.
m
l
August 13, 2012 10:58:47 PM

Thanks for the replies guys! I took some of the advice, I went with a medium case and also I went for the WD Black which is 64mb instead of 32.

I put in the order but I may go to best buy and pick up a SSD. Is it worth it even at 64 GB???
m
l
August 13, 2012 11:30:27 PM

With your Z77 based MB you can use the SSD as a CACHE with intel driver. Google " Intel Smart Response SSD caching" for details. That lets you use a large spinning disk as a C drive and still get some (not all) of the benefits of using an SSD. (aside: Intel’s Smart Response Technology is limited to a physical size of just 64GB so don't get a bigger SSD to use as a cache) Make sure your MB supports Intel Smart Response, it should but i didn't check.

If you use the 64GB SSD as a disk (and not as a cache) it will work if actively managed. However, for me personally, I'd go nuts trying to force all installs to use the minimum space on the C drive to keep from filling the 64GB SSD based C-drive. I use a 120GB SSD in my laptop and that's a challenge. No way I'd try to make this config work in a desktop. Some people make this work and love it, however think hard to see if this is something you want to do. IF you go this route, look at 128GB and 240/256 GB SSDs also. The price has come down.
m
l
August 14, 2012 6:00:34 PM

SSDs are worth it. I bought an OCZ 60gb and yes it is a pain to keep space open.. But the applications I use are super fast on the drive. iTunes opens practically instantly compared to a spinning disk. Opening MS Office any version loads in 2 seconds instead of 10... Loading games it is amazing... Put your Pagefile.sys on the SSD and if you run out of RAM ever then that picks up the pace nicely.. Faster than Win 7's 'Ready Boost'

It is nice to have it + it saves power + less noise + bang around laptop without damaging spinning disk + it is cool

Disable indexing on your SSD - adds unnecessary wear to the drive

-Justin
m
l
August 21, 2012 12:01:21 PM

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I received and assembled everything and I have just a few comments.

First of all I had no idea that there would be a crunching noise when I pushed the lever down to settle the CPU chip in. I thought I had ruined the chip, but in the end it was alright, everything seems to be working.

I wish I would have gotten one strip of 8gb ram instead of 2 strips of 4gb. The documentation that came with the motherboard said that you should use the same brand, same speed, and same size (gb) as the others you use. This would limit me to 16 gb of ram instead of the 32gb that the mobo can take.

It says to use the second and third ram dimm slots if you are only using two strips of ram, does this REALLY make any difference? I didn't bother remedying that because it seems like it shouldn't matter.

On the HDD. Yup, should have gotten the SSD. I thought that since I would have the SATA 6gb/s HDD that it would be faster than any other HDD I had used. It doesn't seem to be and it only tests as a 5.9 in the windows indexing score.

From what I understand that is the top score for any mechanical drive. I did not know this!
m
l
August 21, 2012 12:14:46 PM

Best answer selected by clavin42.
m
l
August 21, 2012 2:15:44 PM

clavin42 said:
I wish I would have gotten one strip of 8gb ram instead of 2 strips of 4gb. .. limit me to 16 gb of ram instead of the 32gb that the mobo can take.

It says to use the second and third ram dimm slots if you are only using two strips of ram, does this REALLY make any difference? I didn't bother remedying that because it seems like it shouldn't matter.

RAM has a limit on how long it takes to read. The Chipset & CPU memory controller work around this by reading two, three or even four RAM DIMMS at the same time. Your CPU/chipset supports DUAL CHANNEL memory reads. Your two 4GB DIMMS are faster than one 8GB DIMM. And yes you should make sure they are in the correct slots to make sure you are getting the dual channel benefit.

Aside -- the performance boost from dual channel is not huge, its on the order of 2-5% I think. It shows up in memory intensive applications like transcoding, video editing, photo editing, search word doc that are in memory already, etc.

Aside2 -- Current applications stop getting value from memory before 8GB. A 16GB system is huge. If someone finds a use for 32GB that makes populating with 8GB DIMMS a good thing then everyone will need to discard their 2GB dimm and 4GB dimms to free up slots. Many systems today are configured with two 2GB dimms including systems like this one because the $25US needed to go from 4GB to 8GB doesn't give a performance return. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-pc-overclock... (You picked the right answer with two 4GB dimms, instead of two 2GB or 1 8 GB dimm).
m
l
!