A Film Scanner Question; Which side dooes the emulsion go ?

Last response: in Digital Camera
September 2, 2005 1:57:39 PM

I've just gotten a used minalota elite film scanner. It works fine,
but..

I can see the light source and the sensor. Which way should the
emulsion go? I assume it makes a difference.

Thanks
--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 6:18:33 PM

Al Dykes wrote:

> I've just gotten a used minalota elite film scanner. It works fine,
> but..
>
> I can see the light source and the sensor. Which way should the
> emulsion go? I assume it makes a difference.
>
> Thanks

Hi Al...

I use only a good flatbed. The Epson manual kinda hints
that they'd like the emulsion farthest from the sensor.

Experiment shows me that I prefer the emulsion nearest the
sensor. Suspect that might be because any shadow cast by
the emulsion will be smaller that way.

A side effect is that the result is every scan has to be
mirrored, but not much of a bother. And makes me wonder if
Epson doesn't recommend the other way so mirroring wouldn't
be needed.

Take care.

Ken
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 11:54:38 PM

news:D f9loj$cfp$1@panix5.panix.com...

> I've just gotten a used minalota elite film scanner. It works fine,
> but..
>
> I can see the light source and the sensor. Which way should the
> emulsion go? I assume it makes a difference.
Not sure about the Elite since I have the Dual IV but in my case the film
goes into the holder emulsion side down.
Also you may want to check the Minolta website to see if there is a manual
you can download.

> Thanks
> --
> a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m
>
> Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
September 3, 2005 3:07:30 AM

news:D f9loj$cfp$1@panix5.panix.com...

> I've just gotten a used minalota elite film scanner. It works fine,
> but..
>
> I can see the light source and the sensor. Which way should the
> emulsion go? I assume it makes a difference.

Usually the emulsion (the thing you are imaging) goes towards the sensor.
Usually.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 5:21:23 AM

Al Dykes wrote:
> I've just gotten a used minalota elite film scanner. It works fine,
> but..
>
> I can see the light source and the sensor. Which way should the
> emulsion go? I assume it makes a difference.
>
> Thanks

Select a slide with writing on it.
If you insert it incorrectly, the writing will be Backward.
Bob Williams
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 6:48:22 PM

In article <82dSe.157809$E95.118640@fed1read01>, mytbobnospam@cox.net
says...

> Al Dykes wrote:
> > I've just gotten a used minalota elite film scanner. It works fine,
> > but..
> >
> > I can see the light source and the sensor. Which way should the
> > emulsion go? I assume it makes a difference.
> >
> > Thanks
>
> Select a slide with writing on it.
> If you insert it incorrectly, the writing will be Backward.
> Bob Williams

a definitive answer!
!