Sign in with
Your question

New Gaming PC Build w/ W8

Last response: in Systems
August 13, 2012 2:10:22 PM

Hi guys, I'm planning on building a new system in the next few weeks and this is what I've come up with so far.
I'd like to make sure that all these are compatible and an idea about the performance I should expect. I play a lot of the mainstream games (AC3, CoD, BF3, SC2, etc...). I'd like to see shiny images from my games :D  I'm also currently in school for programming and design so I'd like to also this system for such use. I'd like to OC on this system and want to use Windows 8 Preview as the OS till the actual release.

Thanks for any help you guys can give me!

-Corsair 600T

-Core i5-2500k

-Gigabyte Intel Z77 LGA 1155 AMD CrossFireX/NVIDIA SLI W/ HDMI,DVI,DispayPort Dual UEFI BIOS ATX Motherboard GA-Z77X-UD3H

-Corsair Vengeance Blue 8GB DDR3 1600

-OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular PSU

-Samsung 830 256GB SATA III SSD

-Caviar Black 2TB

-Cooler Master Hyper 212

-I'm indecisive on which graphics solution to go with... Radeon7950 or GTX570, which would be more bang for my money? The 570s are going for 250 on Amazon atm.

More about : gaming build

August 13, 2012 4:12:21 PM

What's the budget here? It's pointless to get a 2500K with a Z77 motherboard - if you're using the 7950 or 670, you lose PCI Gen 3, so you won't get the full functionality of those cards.

Also the 256GB SSD is kind of overkill especially with that hard drive.

Why do you want to use Windows 8? It's the Windows 7 version of Vista or ME - it's not going to be any better than 7 is.
August 13, 2012 5:35:31 PM

My budget at the moment is right around $1300 excluding the case. I can squeeze in a bit more should the build warrant it, but everyone likes to save $$$. Should I pick up the 3570k then? I keep hearing that the 2500k is more OC friendly. What mobo would you suggest for the 2500k if I keep it?

Probably cut storage down to half and save some money here.

Personally love the look of WP7 so wanted to try it out for my desktop. Free OS for a bit is what I was thinking. Unless WP8 has some performance issues, I wouldn't mind having the extra features for looks.

Thanks for your response!
Related resources
August 13, 2012 5:38:42 PM

g-unit1111 said:
What's the budget here? It's pointless to get a 2500K with a Z77 motherboard - if you're using the 7950 or 670, you lose PCI Gen 3, so you won't get the full functionality of those cards.

Also the 256GB SSD is kind of overkill especially with that hard drive.

Why do you want to use Windows 8? It's the Windows 7 version of Vista or ME - it's not going to be any better than 7 is.

Funny - Win8 without Metro seems faster to me than Win 7 in quite a bit of things. Once NVidia and AMD get their graphics card drivers up to snuff, could very well do better than Win 7 in gaming performance.

Opinions are like assholes....
August 13, 2012 5:40:02 PM

g-unit1111 said:

Agreed, Windows 7 will thrive for the next 5 years at least.

eidas said:
Personally love the look of WP7 so wanted to try it out for my desktop. Free OS for a bit is what I was thinking. Unless WP8 has some performance issues, I wouldn't mind having the extra features for looks.!

There are always issues with new software...especially operating systems. Remember what Vista was like when it first came out? Get ready for a repeat, and on top of that the entire gaming community is shunning W8 (Blizzard, Steam/Valve, etc, etc). W8 is basically forcing you into that stupid xbox live crap that you have to pay for every month. I enjoy my freedom of buying a game, and owning that game, without paying a monthly fee.
August 13, 2012 5:42:41 PM

DarkOutlaw said:

There are always issues with new software...especially operating systems. Remember what Vista was like when it first came out? Get ready for a repeat, and on top of that the entire gaming community is shunning W8 (Blizzard, Steam/Valve, etc, etc). W8 is basically forcing you into that stupid xbox live crap that you have to pay for every month. I enjoy my freedom of buying a game, and owning that game, without paying a monthly fee.

this is too true, i've been using the windows 8 release because it was free...but the more i use it the more i miss the old functions. i could care less if it is a little (very little) faster, i will take windows 7 anyday. it has been a headache trying to get games working right. and i know part of it is because it is a release preview, but it just isnt that great overall.
August 13, 2012 5:42:45 PM

The 2500k is in some abstract sense more OC friendly, but that's only relevant if your goal is to tweak your processor as much as possible, i.e. to achieve the highest possible GHz number. The 3570k has an advantage per clock, and even if you can't quite achieve the same numerical clock, it's almost always faster than the 2500k, and at worst about even at max OC for each processor (and we're talking, like, 4.7 GHz vs. 5 GHz, including overvolting). Bottom line: the 3570k is the better choice unless it's significantly more expensive.

As for Windows 8, I don't think it makes sense to criticize people for wanting to try it. You can of course try it for free now, and see if you like it. Interface oddness aside, it also has real performance gains over windows 7. Those things matter much more for older PCs and for laptops, of course, but it's still progress. And besides, some people like the interface.
August 13, 2012 6:09:20 PM

DarkOutlaw said:

That's exactly my line of thinking - I've seen every new OS since Win 95 - there's *ALWAYS* going to be issues with every single new OS that comes along the pipe. Even Windows 7 had its' fair share of problems in the beginning. That XBOX live crap is going to ultimately hurt Microsoft - gamers will not want to pay big bucks to subscribe to a completely unnecessary service. if that's the case you'll see a hell of a lot more users abandoning MS and moving to Ubuntu and Chrome even. Especially with Steam becoming available on Ubuntu later this year there may not be any real reason left to stick with MS unless you really need to.

Quote:
The 2500k is in some abstract sense more OC friendly, but that's only relevant if your goal is to tweak your processor as much as possible, i.e. to achieve the highest possible GHz number. The 3570k has an advantage per clock, and even if you can't quite achieve the same numerical clock, it's almost always faster than the 2500k, and at worst about even at max OC for each processor (and we're talking, like, 4.7 GHz vs. 5 GHz, including overvolting). Bottom line: the 3570k is the better choice unless it's significantly more expensive.

It's when you start messing with the voltages that causes the 3570K to become a hotter CPU than the 2500K is (although that will happen with any CPU). If you run off stock with a good cooler, you'll be able to stably clock the 3570K to 4.3 - 4.4GHz on stock voltages without seeing the heat increases.
September 11, 2012 7:50:42 AM

Mat,

1, choose 3570k over 2500k then choose P77 mobo.. Asrock, Asus or Gigabyte.. learn a bit how to choose. If u intend to X-Fire or S-LI, then read a bit the spec of each mobo weither it has these function or not.

2. 570 or 7950, is up to you..

3. SSD is mainly purpose for the Windows file, so if it a bit large mean its good, but too large than what u need is such a waste of money. Think bout it k.
September 11, 2012 7:53:07 AM

no need to overclock mat.. just use 3750k in stock.. maybe another 2 years then u think about it.. But a good cooler (hyper 212) is a good choice.
!