Just how much of an upgrade would this be?

zalarra

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2011
Hello all! I bought my processor back in '09 and i'm looking to upgrade it. Not that it gives me any problems, it's been amazing to me, but i'm wondering if this upgrade that I want would make that much of a difference.

Specs:
GeForce GTX 550 TI
AMD Phenom 9750 Quad 2.4GHz (am2)
8g RAM
ASRock A770DE+ AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard

I wish to replace my AMD Phenom 9750 with a AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz, with that I would need to up my power supply. I'm running a Rosewill Stallion Series RD400-2-SB 400W, which is obviously not the wattage I need.

What should I do :)?!

Any opinions or comments would be very much appreciated!

tzarlazar

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
Pretty sure if you are not planning on overclocking or having many devices connected connected to your PC that 400 Watts will be enough. I dont think your system would peak over 350 Watts.
If you find that after upgrade you might be having voltage dropping you can always buy a new PSU after or even check it with software that measures voltage delivered by your PSU to PC components and notice if you are getting voltage drops during high load.

zalarra

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2011
I'm not planning on overclocking at all. I just don't have any use for OC at the moment. Perhaps later down the road but i'll have a new rig by then.

So, about the CPUs, it would definitely be an upgrade? I mean like...noticeable?

Sometimes it would be noticeable. Your looking at something approaching a 50% speed boost. Not mind-blowing, but definitely faster. I think its worth it.

zalarra

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2011

That's an answer I was looking for :) My 9750 has given me absolutely no problems when I bought it in 2009, it's been amazing, and it's STILL amazing. I'm just trying to phase parts out, I do that every 4 years or so and it's about time. Now, everyone is saying that I should just stick with my 400w? I mean I know I don't OC or draw too much power, but i'm probably going to buy a 500 or so just to give it some room in case later on I was to buy more useless crap my pc doesn't need :na:

400'watts is enough, but it's not that simple. 400 watts also means differ t things to different units. Some don't actually deliver 400 watts even though they are labeled as such. Others have poor build quality. For example. If you had a seasonic s12 ii 430w, I would tell you to keep it. A coolmax v-500w, drop Kick it into the nearest landfill.

Your rosewill stallion 400 is manufactured for rosewill by solytech. Solytech is a subsidiary of deer computer, a company with a checkered
Past in the PSU industry. No professional reviews are available on it. As a result, I would feel inclined to replace it.