Hi8 PAL video capture device

vestom

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012
Hi there,
I hope that someone will be able to help me and thank you very much in advance. I looked at the few video capture devices but I am not sure which one to pick as my camcorder is not NTSC system.
I have an old Sony camcorder HI8 PAL (European model) and I have to transfer Hi8 tapes to my computer and then make DVDs. What video capture device will be the best to get? What cables do I need. What software to pick or it comes with video capture card/device?
Thank you again:)

mendeledk

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012

Hello vestom i have the same problem as you have i live in europe and all my videos are hi 8 with a PAL system amd now i want to convert those in to DVD.
I live in Mexico now and the sistem here is NTSC pls advz if you find out wich program,or video capture device,software can solve this thank you in advance
mendeledk

vestom

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012
Hi mendeledk,
Yes, I was able to convert all my Hi8 tapes first to my computer and then to make DVDs and I am very happy now as those were our nice memories.
I bought a "video capture device" and you can search them on web as I am not sure what is available in Mexico. Mine was around $35 and it did the job (KWorld DVD Maker USB2.0). I was not sure if it will work or not and did not want to spend too much money. I read a lot of reviews of various devices on the web and I was really concerned about the whole process.
This is the website of the store where I bough my device and you can read reviews (I live in Canada)
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/category/category_slc.asp?Lprice=25&Hprice=49.99&Nav=|c:1428|&Sort=3&Recs=10

With this one you can capture PAL and NTSC, edit videos and burn DVDs. It comes with two softwares, Power Director and Power Producer. I did not like the first one and I used Windows Movie Maker, that I already have on my computer, to capture my videos and then I used second software to make DVDs. When you use Windows Movie Maker make sure that your setting is to capture PAL (search for video capture device that can read PAL, too). Cables depend on your camera and I used AV cables with mine that I connected to the device which I then connected to my computer.
Please feel free to ask questions and I will be more than happy to help.
Good luck, vestom
P.S. I am not sure if we are allowed to provide product names here and I apologize if i broke the rules..