Ball Park Regs?

Last response: in Digital Camera
September 2, 2005 11:32:11 AM

I'm going to a game in DC tomorrow to see the Nats & Phils play.
Anybody have any ideas what the restrictions on cameras might be? The
ticket says something to the effect of "no professional cameras with
detachable zoom lenses. No tripods, backpacks or large bags." I can
leave the backpack home, but what's a large bag and how strict are they
on the professional cameras with zoom lenses? Does that disqualify my
D70 with a 70-300 zoom and what's a "large" bag? Any prior experience
or feedback? We have a Canon S1 IS which has served well in the past,
so it's no huge crisis if I can't take it, but I wouldn't want to leave
it home on supposition, either. TIA for any help.

Kitt

More about : ball park regs

Anonymous
September 2, 2005 2:24:39 PM

Terrific...make me pay high ticket prices so the team can pay
exhorbitant salaries to the players, make me pay high food costs simply
because I can't bring food and beverages in unless I sneak it in, then
make me bring only a point-and-shoot because you don't want me to take
photos of the players on the field. I love pro sports (NOT!)
September 2, 2005 3:50:38 PM

In article <1125671531.135181.295940@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Kitt <niteman3d@gmail.com> wrote:

> Does that disqualify my D70 with a 70-300 zoom and what's a "large"
> bag? Any prior experience or feedback?

Their rules don't allow the above at RFK. I can't give you any feedback
on their enforcement of that rule as I decided not to test their
enforcement.

--
Charles
September 2, 2005 6:22:04 PM

In article <1125681879.673853.36740@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
"wilt" <wiltw@aol.com> wrote:

> Terrific...make me pay high ticket prices so the team can pay
> exhorbitant salaries to the players, make me pay high food costs simply
> because I can't bring food and beverages in unless I sneak it in, then
> make me bring only a point-and-shoot because you don't want me to take
> photos of the players on the field. I love pro sports (NOT!)

I am not much of a sports fan, but I have attended a few MLB games and I
have never had a problem using my Digital Rebel and long zoom lens
there. In fact, last year, I snagged a ticket to a Phillies game in the
Phillies' own box and no one batted an eye at my camera. In fact, two or
three of the sales guys for the Phillies who were in the box for that
game asked me to send them my photos. I doubt it would be any different
at any other major league baseball parks, but it certainly can't hurt
for the OP to call the stadium to ask (or check its web site).
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 6:22:05 PM

Shawn Hirn wrote:
> In article <1125681879.673853.36740@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
> "wilt" <wiltw@aol.com> wrote:
>
>> Terrific...make me pay high ticket prices so the team can pay
>> exhorbitant salaries to the players, make me pay high food costs
>> simply because I can't bring food and beverages in unless I sneak
>> it
>> in, then make me bring only a point-and-shoot because you don't
>> want
>> me to take photos of the players on the field. I love pro sports
>> (NOT!)
>
> I am not much of a sports fan, but I have attended a few MLB games
> and I have never had a problem using my Digital Rebel and long zoom
> lens there. In fact, last year, I snagged a ticket to a Phillies
> game
> in the Phillies' own box and no one batted an eye at my camera. In
> fact, two or three of the sales guys for the Phillies who were in
> the
> box for that game asked me to send them my photos. I doubt it would
> be any different at any other major league baseball parks, but it
> certainly can't hurt for the OP to call the stadium to ask (or check
> its web site).

Here's the one from the MLB San Diego Pobres' Petco Park A-Z guide:
"CAMERAS AND CAMCORDERS
Still and video cameras are welcome in PETCO Park. Guests are asked to
avoid standing in the aisles while using video equipment, obstructing
the views of others, or using tripods or monopods. Video and
photography of PETCO Park or Padres players cannot be used
commercially without written permission from the San Diego Padres.

"The San Diego Padres reserve the right to request that guests
discontinue filming or taking pictures on ballpark property. "

http://sandiego.padres.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/index.jsp?c_i...

For the San Diego Cagaderos (Chargers)
"CAMERAS & VIDEO RECORDING DEVICES: Fans are permitted to bring
cameras and video recorders into the stadium, provided they are
intended for personal use only and do not interfere with other fans’
view of the game. The taping of game footage is prohibited."

http://www.chargers.com/

--
Frank ess
Anonymous

"Kitt" <niteman3d@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm going to a game in DC tomorrow to see the Nats & Phils play.
> Anybody have any ideas what the restrictions on cameras might be? The
> ticket says something to the effect of "no professional cameras with
> detachable zoom lenses. No tripods, backpacks or large bags." I can
> leave the backpack home, but what's a large bag and how strict are they
> on the professional cameras with zoom lenses? Does that disqualify my
> D70 with a 70-300 zoom and what's a "large" bag? Any prior experience
> or feedback? We have a Canon S1 IS which has served well in the past,
> so it's no huge crisis if I can't take it, but I wouldn't want to leave
> it home on supposition, either. TIA for any help.

Camera restrictions are based on the leaugue. I can take 35mm SLR to NFL
games, but not to NHL games because the NHL has a rule - no detachable
lenses. Guess they haven't figured out the golden rule - let your fans
enjoy themselves. It's why the NFL sets new records every year and the NHL
almost ceased to exist - very different management styles.

You can probably find the photography policy on the baseball league website.

--
Mark

Photos, Ideas & Opinions
http://www.marklauter.com
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 8:21:52 PM

Thanks for all the responses. I was hoping someone had had direct
experience with RFK and either knew a way around it or had a definite
no. In lieu of that, I guess I'm gonna' have to go to Wally World in
the morning and just buy an S2. I sure wouldn't want to steal my
wife's S1 and ruin her day. Yep, guess I'm just gonna' have to buy
another camera. Darn, I really hate having an excuse to buy another
camera, especially one that I wanted even before they announced it's
existence. The S2 fixes all the shortcomings of the S1 and I feel
pretty certain that the 12X with IS will get me just as good shots or
better of my favorite Phillies as I got of my favorite Yankees with the
S1, in spite of the smaller sensor. Of course, I'm still gonna' need
that sweet little pocket model with the 7 megapixels for the places I
can't even take the S2, right? But hey, my hobby could be golf, wifey
dear, and just a year of greens fees and a good set of clubs cost more
than a few cameras and some lenses. Or I could collect old cars..
hope she doesn't think of all the software, ink and paper while I'm
spinning this yarn. ;o)
September 2, 2005 8:58:09 PM

In article <srhi-294942.14220402092005@news.giganews.com>, Shawn Hirn
<srhi@comcast.net> wrote:

> I doubt it would be any different at any other major league baseball
> parks, but it certainly can't hurt for the OP to call the stadium to
> ask (or check its web site).

The rules at RFK define "professional cameras with detachable zoom lens
as prohibited". It is a weird rule though because that would mean that
you could take a professional camera with a detachable non-zoom lnes.
and what defines a professional camera? I have heard quite a bit about
this rule but I don't know anyone around here (DC) who has tried to
test it.

--
Charles
Anonymous

MLB lisenses and sells images from the games. I guess they don' t want any
competition....

Best,

Ross

"Kitt" <niteman3d@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm going to a game in DC tomorrow to see the Nats & Phils play.
> Anybody have any ideas what the restrictions on cameras might be? The
> ticket says something to the effect of "no professional cameras with
> detachable zoom lenses. No tripods, backpacks or large bags." I can
> leave the backpack home, but what's a large bag and how strict are they
> on the professional cameras with zoom lenses? Does that disqualify my
> D70 with a 70-300 zoom and what's a "large" bag? Any prior experience
> or feedback? We have a Canon S1 IS which has served well in the past,
> so it's no huge crisis if I can't take it, but I wouldn't want to leave
> it home on supposition, either. TIA for any help.
>
> Kitt

Anonymous
September 3, 2005 12:39:44 AM

"Kitt" <niteman3d@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1125671531.135181.295940@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> I'm going to a game in DC tomorrow to see the Nats & Phils play.
> Anybody have any ideas what the restrictions on cameras might be? The
> ticket says something to the effect of "no professional cameras with
> detachable zoom lenses. No tripods, backpacks or large bags." I can
> leave the backpack home, but what's a large bag and how strict are they
> on the professional cameras with zoom lenses? Does that disqualify my
> D70 with a 70-300 zoom and what's a "large" bag? Any prior experience
> or feedback? We have a Canon S1 IS which has served well in the past,
> so it's no huge crisis if I can't take it, but I wouldn't want to leave
> it home on supposition, either. TIA for any help.

Get a camera case that's just big enough to store both the
D70, your lens, *and* your S1 IS. Put the D70/lenses on
the bottom of the case, then a partition, then the S1 on top.
Camera bag checks at ballparks are very cursory; when
you enter the park they'll open the top of the case and see
just the S1 (no detachable lens, it'll be fine).
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 4:44:12 AM

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 14:22:04 -0400, Shawn Hirn <srhi@comcast.net>
wrote:

>In article <1125681879.673853.36740@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
> "wilt" <wiltw@aol.com> wrote:
>
>> Terrific...make me pay high ticket prices so the team can pay
>> exhorbitant salaries to the players, make me pay high food costs simply
>> because I can't bring food and beverages in unless I sneak it in, then
>> make me bring only a point-and-shoot because you don't want me to take
>> photos of the players on the field. I love pro sports (NOT!)
>
>I am not much of a sports fan, but I have attended a few MLB games and I
>have never had a problem using my Digital Rebel and long zoom lens
>there. In fact, last year, I snagged a ticket to a Phillies game in the
>Phillies' own box and no one batted an eye at my camera. In fact, two or
>three of the sales guys for the Phillies who were in the box for that
>game asked me to send them my photos.

If, with all the money they have to throw around, they didn't
offer to pay for the pix, I'd have taken some great closeups of my
butt and sent them copies.

> I doubt it would be any different
>at any other major league baseball parks, but it certainly can't hurt
>for the OP to call the stadium to ask (or check its web site).
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 5:34:40 AM

In article <ubshh1ttcu4goanursknffu60of3nn1fok@4ax.com>,
kashe@sonic.net wrote:

> If, with all the money they have to throw around, they didn't
> offer to pay for the pix, I'd have taken some great closeups of my
> butt and sent them copies.

No one wants to see your bloody hole.
--
Would thou choose to meet a rat eating dragon, or
a dragon, eating rat? The answer of: I am somewhere

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 01:34:40 GMT, Little Green Eyed Dragon
<ShadezofPerceptionvanished@someplace.com> wrote:

>In article <ubshh1ttcu4goanursknffu60of3nn1fok@4ax.com>,
> kashe@sonic.net wrote:
>

>> If, with all the money they have to throw around, they didn't
>> offer to pay for the pix, I'd have taken some great closeups of my
>> butt and sent them copies.
>
>No one wants to see your bloody hole.

My point exactly. You must have nibbled some of those little
brown smart pills this morning.
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 3:45:56 PM

In article <030920051042119317%maxfaq@earthlink.net>, Steve Cutchen
<maxfaq@earthlink.net> wrote:

> So my 300D Rebel should be fine <G> 'Cause my buddy who sprang for the
> 20D always has to point out to me that my camera is an amateur camera
> that a pro wouldn't touch.

I've taken my 10D to Safeco Field many times and nobody has ever said a
thing.
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 3:51:09 PM

In article <it1jh1tugecihfec7l55fklrba2tr0j9e8@4ax.com>,
kashe@sonic.net wrote:

> >No one wants to see your bloody hole.
>
> My point exactly. You must have nibbled some of those little
> brown smart pills this morning.

Now if we can just get you to take your head out of that hole
the bleeding will more than likely stop.
--
Would thou choose to meet a rat eating dragon, or
a dragon, eating rat? The answer of: I am somewhere
in the middle.
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 5:18:38 AM

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 11:51:09 GMT, Little Green Eyed Dragon
<ShadezofPerceptionvanished@someplace.com> wrote:

>In article <it1jh1tugecihfec7l55fklrba2tr0j9e8@4ax.com>,
> kashe@sonic.net wrote:
>> >
>> >No one wants to see your bloody hole.
>>
>> My point exactly. You must have nibbled some of those little
>> brown smart pills this morning.
>
>Now if we can just get you to take your head out of that hole
>the bleeding will more than likely stop.

Keep chomping the pills. They have lots moe at the rabbt farm.
!