Sign in with
Your question

Please help: Gpu Overheating

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 23, 2012 11:27:03 PM

Hey everyone. I really need help. I just purchased a gaming laptop and have had some pretty bad overheating issues. I downloaded MSI afterburner to figure out the temperature that my GPU was getting to. Idle, it reaches 75 degrees celcius and when I'm gaming (Diablo 3 mostly) it gets to a WHOPPING 104 degrees! The reason this is an issue is because when it reaches 104 degrees, which is common, the computer automatically powers down the GPU which results in major fps drops, down to 1-5 fps for around a minute at a time. I have to alt-tab to let it cool down. I really need some ideas on what I can do.

This is what I've tried so far:

1. I have taken the laptop apart and cleaned the fan and all ports with compressed air.
2. I have purchased a $40 laptop cooling pad that doesn't seem to even reduce the temperature by a degree.
3. I have ran 3 different antivirus programs to make sure a third party software wasn't causing the overheating.
4. I have reduced my graphics to low everything and am still at 104 degrees.
5. I have tried increasing the fan speed through the Nvidia control panel, but it is blocked for some reason. Here is a picture of what I'm looking at: http://i.imgur.com/OpWsD.png
6. Updated to the most recent drivers.
7. I have tried undervolting

None of these have helped in any way, sadly.

Here are my computer specifications:

Asus G72gx Gaming Laptop

Intel® Quad™ Core Processor Q9000 : 2.0 GHz
17.3" Full HD (1920x1080)/HD+ (1600x900) Color-Shine (Glare-type),Asus Splendid Video Intelligent Technology
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 260M with 1GB GDDR3 VRAM

I really need help with this. I can't seem to figure out what to do.

I will try any suggestions!

Thanks a ton!

Trenton

More about : gpu overheating

a b Î Nvidia
June 24, 2012 12:19:24 AM

Have you replaced the thermal paste on the video card heatsink?
Cheap oem paste dries out over time and needs to be replaced.
m
l
June 24, 2012 12:34:56 AM

Trentonn said:
Hey everyone. I really need help. I just purchased a gaming laptop and have had some pretty bad overheating issues.
This is what I've tried so far:

1. I have taken the laptop apart and cleaned the fan and all ports with compressed air.

Honestly, this really freaked me out...

Until I saw this (breathed a sigh of relief):
Trentonn said:

Here are my computer specifications:

Asus G72gx Gaming Laptop

Intel® Quad™ Core Processor Q9000 : 2.0 GHz
17.3" Full HD (1920x1080)/HD+ (1600x900) Color-Shine (Glare-type),Asus Splendid Video Intelligent Technology
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 260M with 1GB GDDR3 VRAM

Not many people can take apart a laptop & put it back. :) 

Do as Rick Criswell suggested if you have not yet done so.

Good luck.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
June 24, 2012 12:42:59 AM

Unolocogringo said:
Have you replaced the thermal paste on the video card heatsink?
Cheap oem paste dries out over time and needs to be replaced.

I've read around a bit, and can't seem to figure out exactly what thermal paste does. :p 
m
l
June 24, 2012 12:52:38 AM

Thermal paste is the contact used to transfer the heat from the GPU or CPU die to the heatsink which can then be transferred away from the laptop by the fan etc. If this dries out then heat is not transferred away fast enough and can cause overheating.
m
l
June 24, 2012 1:22:46 AM

Sephypoo73 said:
Thermal paste is the contact used to transfer the heat from the GPU or CPU die to the heatsink which can then be transferred away from the laptop by the fan etc. If this dries out then heat is not transferred away fast enough and can cause overheating.

Thanks! I will try this soon.
m
l
!