Sign in with
Your question

[CPUs] Need help upgrading motherboard/cpu

Last response: in CPUs
December 28, 2012 7:49:44 PM

Hello,
Hello, first time poster. I built my system around this time last year and am not getting the performance I was looking for WHILE streaming. Here is my current system:
*Motherboard: EVGA 131-GT-E767 "Tylersburg"
*CPU: Intel Core i7 950 Bloomfield Socket 1366 (not oc'd)
*6gb DDR3 Triple Channel RAM Corsair
*Radeon HD 5750
*Intel SSD 60gb (windows)
*2 other random hd's.
I want to be able to stream high quality (1080p 40+fps) games of League of Legends, Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2. I can stream now but only on very low settings and it pretty much maxes out the system. I'd like to be able to stream with room to spare for other programs (music, skype, mumble, etc..)
I am so lost when it comes to looking for upgrades.
Here are my questions:
Is there anything out there for my current socket I can put in that isn't $900+?
What CPU/Motherboard would you reccomend?
I don't play graphic intensive games...is my video card gonna be ok?
I think my budget is about $600....but this is flexible if it makes sense.
If any other information/data is needed please let me know. Thank you all.
a b à CPUs
December 28, 2012 8:57:50 PM

Don't replace this, your system is FINE. Just overclock it & replace your GPU. This system can last another 2 years I'm telling you. No offense but you bought a CHEAP entry level card for a high end system, it's bottlenecking everything... Buy a 7870, overclock processor. You're good with everything else.
m
l
December 28, 2012 9:03:41 PM

I've verified my internet speed, my upload is fast enough. I was looking at the Intel i7 lga 1155 3770k. Think this will be plenty fast. Just need to pick a mother board
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 28, 2012 9:05:21 PM

You don't need a 3770K! Don't freaking upgrade your CPU throw out your junky GPU & buy a good one! Come on man think with your head
m
l
December 28, 2012 9:08:51 PM

payturr said:
Don't replace this, your system is FINE. Just overclock it & replace your GPU. This system can last another 2 years I'm telling you. No offense but you bought a CHEAP entry level card for a high end system, it's bottlenecking everything... Buy a 7870, overclock processor. You're good with everything else.

To be honest I'm not sure how comfortable I am overclocking and I have a budget to upgrade. Do you really think that my GPU is bottle necking me with these specific games? I didn't think these games were that graphic intensive and I understood streaming quality was mostly dependent on the CPU?

I completely agree my GPU is entry level but I didn't think it would make a difference with what the games/software I'm running?

m
l
a b à CPUs
December 28, 2012 9:11:33 PM

Mataleon_PDX said:
To be honest I'm not sure how comfortable I am overclocking and I have a budget to upgrade. Do you really think that my GPU is bottle necking me with these specific games? I didn't think these games were that graphic intensive and I understood streaming quality was mostly dependent on the CPU?

I completely agree my GPU is entry level but I didn't think it would make a difference with what the games/software I'm running?

Trust me, your CPU is a good, sturdy one - if people can still use the Phenom 965, which isn't even as good as yours, you can use that to stream - you'll overclock, you just need to put a better cooler in, sit down and tinker. It's not as scary as some people put it.
Trust me, GPU does affect it - the better you put in, the higher quality you can run the games in, the better you can stream - people like to see games running in max settings not low settings brother!
m
l
!