Any

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Asus
  • Nvidia
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 23, 2012 11:35:55 PM

I have just recently bought an Asus nvidia GTX550ti direct CU. it has an auxiliary power connector. does this need to be used or does it not matter unless im doing a sli??

More about : question

June 23, 2012 11:40:03 PM

When a card has a connector like this, it means it needs more power than the PCI-E bus can deliver and it is required. But this should also be stated among the installation notes on your manual.
m
l
a c 106 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
June 23, 2012 11:55:40 PM

6 pin connecters are required to be connected(some double 6 pins may not need the second one, but all single ones will need it). The only time this happens is when someone try to cut around the corner and did not question their psu if they can run X card yet.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 24, 2012 12:39:54 AM

jcragan11 said:
I have just recently bought an Asus nvidia GTX550ti direct CU. it has an auxiliary power connector. does this need to be used or does it not matter unless im doing a sli??

It does matter SLI or not. Why are you asking? Don't your PSU have the auxiliary power connector cable? What is your PSU?
m
l
June 24, 2012 12:47:23 AM

roald said:
When a card has a connector like this, it means it needs more power than the PCI-E bus can deliver and it is required. But this should also be stated among the installation notes on your manual.

Its not very clear at all wether or not it needs to be used in the installation manual. should i look at the manuaql for my mother board?
m
l
June 24, 2012 12:49:12 AM

randomkid said:
It does matter SLI or not. Why are you asking? Don't your PSU have the auxiliary power connector cable? What is your PSU?

my psu is just a random psu that was thrown in the ibuypower PC that i bought. it has a 6 pin and connects to the card and then has 2 three pin that come out and i only have one connected do i need both connected?
m
l
June 24, 2012 12:51:10 AM

the person helping me at the place i purchased the card said that the psu could handle the card and the card is working im guessing because im ablke to use the computer to talk to you guys
m
l
a c 106 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
June 24, 2012 12:51:59 AM

jcragan11 said:
my psu is just a random psu that was thrown in the ibuypower PC that i bought. it has a 6 pin and connects to the card and then has 2 three pin that come out and i only have one connected do i need both connected?

Im assuming you are using a 6 pin connecter to 2 4-pin molex convertor that gpu companies usually give to you. you can use that, but if your psu doesnt have one built in already, than its likely that it will not like being connected tot he card because it was not designed to power up a gpu.

to your question. yes, both must be connected to the molex cable off your psu.
m
l
June 24, 2012 1:03:00 AM

so does that mean that the card is working at minimal performance because its not hooked up correctly because its working for me to talk to you all right now. so ultimately i really need to upgrade my psu?
m
l
June 24, 2012 1:04:25 AM

yea its some no name piece of crap psu thats in there, running 480 watt i believe
m
l
June 24, 2012 1:21:56 AM

Alright i appreciate all your quick answers!!!!! i need to just upgrade my psu. thank you again to everyone that responded.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 24, 2012 1:51:49 AM

jcragan11 said:

PCIe connectors sometimes come in 6+2 configuration. If your graphics card only need 6PINs, you just leave the +2pins dangling. No problem with that.

jcragan11 said:
Alright i appreciate all your quick answers!!!!! i need to just upgrade my psu. thank you again to everyone that responded.

It is always good to get an upgrade to a known & well trusted brand. But based on your statement below:

jcragan11 said:
the person helping me at the place i purchased the card said that the psu could handle the card and the card is working im guessing because im ablke to use the computer to talk to you guys

then we know at least that the PSU can handle during idle. The real test is when you start gaming. Have you tried that yet & did you encounter any problem?
m
l
June 24, 2012 4:12:20 AM

randomkid said:
PCIe connectors sometimes come in 6+2 configuration. If your graphics card only need 6PINs, you just leave the +2pins dangling. No problem with that.

It is always good to get an upgrade to a known & well trusted brand. But based on your statement below:

then we know at least that the PSU can handle during idle. The real test is when you start gaming. Have you tried that yet & did you encounter any problem?

i have been playing battlefield 3 online and campaign and it runs fine. so i dunno
m
l
June 24, 2012 4:13:03 AM

i have been playing battlefield 3 online and beat the campaign mode and it rand just fine so i dunno.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 24, 2012 4:33:36 AM

jcragan11 said:
i have been playing battlefield 3 online and beat the campaign mode and it rand just fine so i dunno.

Then I guess it is just a matter of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
m
l
!