Sign in with
Your question

Exact difference between i5 and i7.

Last response: in CPUs
December 28, 2012 7:53:06 PM

I hear people say the i7's hyper threaded, but they're both hyper threaded with 4 cores and 8 threads. Is the i7 hyper threading different somehow. Or are there other differences?

More about : exact difference

a c 146 à CPUs
December 28, 2012 8:23:56 PM

darksparten said:
I hear people say the i7's hyper threaded, but they're both hyper threaded with 4 cores and 8 threads. Is the i7 hyper threading different somehow. Or are there other differences?

No they aren't. In the desktop field I7's are quad core with hyperthreading. So they are 4 cores 8 threads. The desktop I5 is quad core with no hyperthreading. For Laptops the mobile I5 is dual core with hyper threading. The mobile I7 is either dual core or quad core with hyperthreading.
m
l
a c 472 à CPUs
December 28, 2012 8:51:37 PM

Yeah only the mobile (laptop) versions of the i5 have Hyper Threading (HT) and they are only dual core CPUs.

For the desktop versions, the main difference is that the i5 is a quad core CPU with no HT and the i7 CPUs have HT and more cache.
m
l
Related resources
November 4, 2013 8:43:27 PM

Why is Intel so hesitant to indicate how many cores, etc. there are in a specific CPU. Sure would make it easier on we noobs. I actually went to AMD because they care enough to specify how many cores, speed, cache, etc. in their CPUs.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 4, 2013 9:44:39 PM

They are not hesitant, all the data is on their site in detail and you even got a comparison tool built-in there.
m
l
a c 472 à CPUs
November 5, 2013 7:41:50 AM

runninron69 said:
Why is Intel so hesitant to indicate how many cores, etc. there are in a specific CPU. Sure would make it easier on we noobs. I actually went to AMD because they care enough to specify how many cores, speed, cache, etc. in their CPUs.

If you are trying to compare different laptops / desktops, then the lack of information is the retailers' / e-tailers' fault not Intel (or AMD when looking that their laptops / desktops).

If you walk into Best Buy to buy a laptop and Best Buy's listed specs for a laptop does not specifically say it is a dual core or quad core CPU, then make a complaint to Best Buy's sales manager.
m
l
a c 702 à CPUs
November 5, 2013 7:45:28 AM

On the mobile side, both have horrible naming schemes compared to desktop.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 5, 2013 7:47:31 AM

Are you talking about haswell or ivy bridge?

i7 is better but there is no need for it unless you want to do heavy editing.

i7 Has hyperthreading and more. So its a better than faster CPU but for gaming the i5 4670K is perfect.
m
l
!