Sign in with
Your question

Best way to overclock athlon ii x4 640??

Last response: in CPUs
December 28, 2012 7:58:21 PM

hey
what and how is the best way to overclock my athlon ii x4 640? (currently at 3.0Ghz standard)
i know there's a few programs out there to use, i've done some research, obviously if i overclock i need to keep my eye on the temperature, but then there's something about BUS speed? (not sure what this is) also my ram is only 667mhz, i'll need higher i think such as 1066?

many thanks

More about : overclock athlon 640

a c 146 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 28, 2012 8:17:54 PM

shaun88 said:
hey
what and how is the best way to overclock my athlon ii x4 640? (currently at 3.0Ghz standard)
i know there's a few programs out there to use, i've done some research, obviously if i overclock i need to keep my eye on the temperature, but then there's something about BUS speed? (not sure what this is) also my ram is only 667mhz, i'll need higher i think such as 1066?

many thanks

I would not use those software programs, if you are going to overclock do it right and use the BIOS. You have to go into the BIOS and make slight, incremental change to the frequency. Keep doing that and after each increase run Prime 95. Once you hit a wall and can't get it to be stable ease back on the overclock and do a full stress test for aleast a full 24 hour period.
a b à CPUs
December 28, 2012 8:43:19 PM

Multipliers too, NEVER USE A PROGRAM.
Related resources
December 29, 2012 1:08:28 PM

rds1220 said:
I would not use those software programs, if you are going to overclock do it right and use the BIOS. You have to go into the BIOS and make slight, incremental change to the frequency. Keep doing that and after each increase run Prime 95. Once you hit a wall and can't get it to be stable ease back on the overclock and do a full stress test for aleast a full 24 hour period.

thank you, is there anything else i need to know/do? like anything to do with the bus speed? also my ram is 4GB (2 x 2GB) but its only 666.7 MHz, would that be ok?
December 29, 2012 1:10:41 PM

payturr said:
Multipliers too, NEVER USE A PROGRAM.

hey, what do you mean by multipliers?
!