XFX HD6950 Crossfire Lag issue

meatmanshawn

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
I just now hooked up a third monitor and a 2nd XFX HD6950 2GB card and am now seeing in game lag. I set game settings to low and i have the latest catalyst driver. Anybody know whats my problem and how I can fix this? I would have thought this would speed my PC up not slow it down. Below are my system Specs. THANK YOU!!!

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name SHAWN-PC
System Manufacturer System manufacturer
System Model System Product Name
System Type x64-based PC
Processor AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor, 3853 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 2002, 4/1/2011
SMBIOS Version 2.6
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
User Name Shawn-PC\Shawn
Time Zone Central Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 8.00 GB
Available Physical Memory 6.11 GB
Total Virtual Memory 16.0 GB
Available Virtual Memory 13.5 GB
Page File Space 8.00 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

randomkid

Distinguished
By adding the 3rd monitor, you mean setup Eyefinity ( resolution at least 5760x1080 )?

And did you already enabled crossfire ( connect 2nd 6950 with 2x6PIN's, connect the crossfire bridge & enabled Crossfire in catalyst )?

meatmanshawn

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
My screen resolution is atm 5040 x 1050 yes viz eyeinfinity and my crossfire does show enabled in GPU-Z and i connected the 2nd GPU by a 8pin in my corsair HW850w to 6pin into the 6950. the 1st GPU is 6pin to 6pin.

RussK1

Splendid
Theoretically,

Say 60 fps with one 6950 with one display and add two more displays you can take 60/3 = 20fps.

Add one more 6950 and "theoretically" get x2 performance (90-100% scaling) = 40fps.

What game and what were your frames with a single card with one display?

randomkid

Distinguished

Do you mean HX850? Yes, if the cable has 6+2, you just leave the +2 dangling & connect only the 6PIN. But the connection to each GPU should be 2x6PIN. Did you connect total of 4xPCIe cables to your 2 GPU's?

Assuming its all properly connected, the 2x6950 should be able to handle 5040 x 1050. I got 5912x1080 & no lag at all. Try to play around with the catalyst setting ( anisomorphic, filter, etc ). If these have been enabled accidentally, it will have big performance penalties...

meatmanshawn

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012

HX850, correct. The cord I have is not the 6 + 2 its a 8pin on one side and 6 on the other. My Power supply has slots for 6 pins and 8 pins so i slotted the 8pin side into the power supply and the 6pin into the GPU. Yes the 2 cards connected 4xPCIe. Default settings set in catalyst. nothing in the performance section.

I play FFXIV (online MMO) and I just checked my current FPS using "Fraps" and outside town it shows 60 FPS if i dont move yet in town around many ppl it can drop all the way to 20 FPS. The lag i see is when it comes to actions. There is a HUGE delay. I make a selection, then there will be a 3-5 second period before the action will commence. Its ruining my game experience.

On another note, because of the short crossbridge, I have to literally stack both GPUs on top of each other. XFX says this is ok but seems like that would create a heat issue. I was pushing 90c on one card (65 on 2nd) until my buddy showed me how to increase my fan speed which dropped it almost 15c.

randomkid

Distinguished
Based on my experience with my kids playing MMO, it also depends on the quality of your internet connection.

How is your speedtest?

Also, what happens if you play some single player using campaign for other games? Do you experience the same lag?

RussK1

Splendid

I honestly think it's a cpu issue. MMO games with lots of other people takes a quite a bit of cpu power.

Download Unigine Heaven here. You should get right around 60fps.

DX11, Tess. = normal, Shaders = high, Aniso. = 16x, AA = 4x, 1920x1080.

And Unigine Tropics here. Same settings as above and should get around 80fps.