Is it worth upgrading my RAM?

sushirush

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
Right now everything in my rig is "gaming" grade, except for my RAM. I forgot to order it when assembling my computer, so I just took the ram out of my family's "consumer" grade computer and used that. I never got around to buying quality memory because my current setup has given me no problems.

It's two sticks of 3Gb, so not too bad capacity wise, but its the stock component of a Dell Studio XPS machine, so the quality can't be that great.

If I do upgrade my memory to something quality, (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231460), what kind of performance increase should I expect? I'm guessing I won't see a difference in FPS, but what about load times, overall stability, etc. Thanks guys.

My other components:

CPU: i5 3570k @ 4.2ghz with Zalman 9700
GFX: Gigabyte gtx 560ti
PSU: Antec Earthwatts 620
MOBO: Gigabyte z77-xd3h
Case: Rosewill Challenger
One SSD and 1 HDD.

Thanks guys.

Solution
There's a little performance gain from 1333 to 1600 MHz, no difference at all between 1866 and 1600 MHz RAM.

8GB is a must nowadays, games, applications and other processes require a good amount of RAM, besides it's currently cheap.

There's a little performance gain from 1333 to 1600 MHz, no difference at all between 1866 and 1600 MHz RAM.

8GB is a must nowadays, games, applications and other processes require a good amount of RAM, besides it's currently cheap.

Solution