Sign in with
Your question
Solved

WHEA-Logger; Event Viewer Error

Last response: in CPUs
December 28, 2012 10:31:30 PM

I wasn't exactly sure where to put this since there doesn't seem to be a debugging forum (unless I just absolutely missed it.) However, I have been getting an error when I am playing some games. For instance, when playing Battlefield 3 the game application will completely exit with no visible error. When checking my Event Viewer, I get a warning from the WHEA-Logger. I did overclock my CPU when I first got my PC, which was back in November, I believe, and I was never getting this problem once I got my CPU to be "stable" at 4.4GHz. (This is an i5-3570k by the way.) Could my CPU possible be failing now after being used at this overclock for some time and would need to be RMA'd/replaced? I believe the game Medal of Honor Warfighter has done the same thing, but games like WoW, Forge, Dragon Nest, and Assassin's Creed 3 have never done this. I have tested my CPU with Prime95 (for about 8 hours) and the application itself did not show any errors, but refreshing my Event Viewer would give me a couple more WHEA-Logger warnings that were 6 hours apart. Most recent warning below:

GENERAL:

A corrected hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Corrected Machine Check
Error Type: Internal parity error
Processor ID: 6

The details view of this entry contains further information.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

DETAILS:

- System

- Provider

[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-WHEA-Logger
[ Guid] {C26C4F3C-3F66-4E99-8F8A-39405CFED220}

EventID 19

Version 0

Level 3

Task 0

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x8000000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2012-12-29T00:14:09.800139100Z

EventRecordID 30639

- Correlation

[ ActivityID] {5AB01237-9145-4B63-A5EA-A9568C771D98}

- Execution

[ ProcessID] 1704
[ ThreadID] 7388

Channel System

Computer [Computer Name]

- Security

[ UserID] S-1-5-19

- EventData

ErrorSource 1
ApicId 6
MCABank 0
MciStat 0x9000004000010005
MciAddr 0x0
MciMisc 0x0
ErrorType 12
TransactionType 256
Participation 256
RequestType 256
MemorIO 256
MemHierarchyLvl 256
Timeout 256
OperationType 256
Channel 256
Length 864
RawData [Edited due to extreme length; can be given upon request]
December 29, 2012 8:02:39 AM

Hm...So nothing from anyone, eh? As an update, I just played a little bit of Assassin's Creed 3, from 2:51 AM to 2:55 AM and managed to rack up quite a few more WHEA-Logger warnings, 15 to be exact. None of them caused the game application to exit, but all of them were, for the lack of me actually looking in complete detail, were exact. I'm starting to wonder if the WHEA-Logger might be, somehow, connected to the GPU? Doubtful since it's coming from a processor core, but I'm not an expert on this by any means.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 141 à CPUs
December 29, 2012 8:21:43 PM

- Poor voltage regulation (i.e. power supply problem, voltage regulator malfunction, capacitor degradation)
- Damage due to power spikes
- Static damage to the motherboard
- Incorrect processor voltage setting in the BIOS (too low or too high)
- Overclocking
- Permanent motherboard or power supply damage caused by prior overclocking
- Excessive temperature caused by insufficient airflow (possibly caused by fan failure or blockage of air inlet/outlet)
- Improper BIOS initialization (the BIOS configuring the motherboard or CPU incorrectly)
- Installation of a processor that is too much for your motherboard to handle (excessive power requirement, incompatibility)
- Defective hardware that may be drawing excessive power or otherwise disrupting proper voltage regulation

step 1: remove overclock and retest.
December 29, 2012 11:18:06 PM

I did not do extensive testing with it, but it seems that removing the overclock has done the trick. Granted, I am probably going to do this all over again to try to get back up to where I was before as I have been able to notice a slight change from the decreased clock. But at least this time I know what caused it and can do tweaks from there to see if it can be changed. Thanks for your suggestions.

As a side note, I did run Memtest86, but the results showed that there was nothing wrong there. I'll be sure to update if it throws the error out again before I get around to OC'ing.
m
l
a c 850 à CPUs
December 29, 2012 11:20:09 PM

Make sure you have a decent motherboard when pushing the CPU past 4GHz. It might be a power phase issue.
m
l
December 30, 2012 12:05:42 AM

I have an ASRock Z77 Extreme4 motherboard, so I'd like to think that the research I put into it was worth it. However, I reverted back to the standard clock, then went into the bios and used the motherboards "preset" settings to set the overclock to 4.2GHz, instead of 4.4GHz. So far, it hasn't thrown any errors at me from the processor side and I actually noticed smoother game play when trying out AC3. Perhaps my CPU is just not from the "can overclock really high" bin and couldn't handle being set to 4.4? Who knows. Thanks again! :D 
m
l
December 30, 2012 12:06:49 AM

Best answer selected by TheBlahMasta.
m
l
June 15, 2013 4:02:49 AM

I think it's a common issue with some i5-3570k chips because mine does the same aswell as everyone who has this error has the 3570k... Anyway, here's my conclusion:

It's not the PSU - I upgraded thinking it was and the error persists.
It's not the motherboard - I bought the cheapest Z77 board with my 3570k which was the Z77-DS3H. I got these errors when clocked at 4.3 even when I gave it a BIG increase in voltage and I stil got the errors. So I upgraded to a board built for overclocking, the Asrock Z77 Fatal1ty Pro for £175. The thing is an overclocking master but guess what? I still get errors.

Conclusion: It's either a bad batch of chips we got or your not giving it enough voltage for the overclock or both.
m
l
August 26, 2013 9:09:16 AM

Carey Fleetwood said:
I think it's a common issue with some i5-3570k chips because mine does the same aswell as everyone who has this error has the 3570k... Anyway, here's my conclusion:

It's not the PSU - I upgraded thinking it was and the error persists.
It's not the motherboard - I bought the cheapest Z77 board with my 3570k which was the Z77-DS3H. I got these errors when clocked at 4.3 even when I gave it a BIG increase in voltage and I stil got the errors. So I upgraded to a board built for overclocking, the Asrock Z77 Fatal1ty Pro for £175. The thing is an overclocking master but guess what? I still get errors.

Conclusion: It's either a bad batch of chips we got or your not giving it enough voltage for the overclock or both.

Hey there.... It seems as though it is with the i5 3570K and overclocking of it!! I've had mine for a year now and ran the overclock on 4.3ghz for sum time. Also a decent enough mobo(gigabyte z77x-ud3h) with Corsair HX750 Modular PSU. Ive just reverted the factory settings and so far so good. This really gets my panties in a twist
m
l
!