shubham_66

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
1 week back i assembled my pc with d config:
i5-2500k
asus P8Z68-V PRO GEN/3 mobo
powercolor radeon hd 6870
cooler master 650W PSU

It was running absolutely fine, untill yesterday... I was playing NFS RUN when suddenly my screen became black.

There is "no display" when the monitor adapter is connected to the "GPU socket".
But "display appears" when connected to the "mobo socket".

My pc is not detecting the graphic card and only detects the intel internal graphics.

i've checked the connections and also reset the Cmos battery.

Please help me.

monu_08

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
have u update bios of u r mobo because it need requires to update first or try to put the them in black slot of u r mobo black pci e 2.0 slot may be some times a pci 3.0 slot wont able to configure properly

shubham_66

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
i havn't updated my mobo.
i downloaded the zipped file but i could not figure out how to update bios.

ill try putting the gpu in the black slot straightaway and reply you the result.

shubham_66

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
i could not put gpu into black slot as there was no space (psu blocking).

I put it into the grey slot instead but the result was same as before.

is there a difference between the black and grey slots??

shubham_66

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
my bios version is pretty new, so maybe updating it won't make a lot of differnce...
also initially the GPU was detected and fantastically working.

Is there any other option other than updating bios??

khmerog

Honorable
May 20, 2012
Hey I have the same GPU and CPU you have on a Gigabyte Z68 board and have/had the same problem. Powercolor just makes shitty GPU and/or bad compatibility with the Z68 boards.

What I did to fix the crashes was I downloaded LucidLogix Virtu and have my monitor plugged into the motherboard video output NOT the GPU video output. It never crashes anymore for the games I run and I get almost the same performance as if it was running straight off the GPU. But Virtu is a badass software basically it integrates your GPU and the Sandy Bridge HD video chip on your CPU..So if I am just web browsing it will run off the i5-2500K video and if I play games my GPU will do all the work.

And as a added bonus the Video Encoding performance of the i5-2500K or the Sandy Bridge video in particular, so when I want to convert my DVD movie into a mp4 it's like 50% faster than if I used just my Dedicated video card...Virtu only works for Z68 and the new Ivy Bridge motherboards by the ways.

If you found another way to fix your problem please let us know.

shubham_66

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
My GPU had completely crashed so I got it exchanged as it was covered by warranty...
after that it worked almost perfectly well, except for few days when it started crashing occasionally... that gave me a real scare!
I just removed re-installed my gpu and luckily its working gr8 ever since.

khmerog@ ur way of fixing the problem sounds pretty good.. I haven't tried it yet but will go for it if the crashing starts again... thnx for d info