Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Response time on monitors

Last response: in Components
Share
December 28, 2012 11:34:56 PM

I have a 24" monitor from asus with a response time of 2ms
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Would I run into any problems if I go with another monitor with a different response time of 2ms?

More about : response time monitors

a b C Monitor
December 28, 2012 11:37:58 PM

Hi :) 

2ms or 1ms is ideal for gaming....

Higher than 2 ms is not good for gaming...

All the best Brett :) 
m
0
l
December 28, 2012 11:55:02 PM

is it bad if i have 2ms on one monitor and my 2nd had anything different? say 4 or 5
m
0
l
Related resources
December 29, 2012 12:12:34 AM

stevenk92 said:
is it bad if i have 2ms on one monitor and my 2nd had anything different? say 4 or 5

Probably not. Low response times are a way for cheap monitors to claim a market advantage. They are good for high speed action like gaming.

The best monitors typically have higher (worse) response times.
If you are looking at 4 or 5 milliseconds, you are still fine for gaming unless you are competing for championships.

Besides that, if you are using 2 monitors I will assume that you are only gaming on one.
Three monitors is a different story though. All three should be similar for good gaming and good brain health, since they will all be running a panoramanic view for you at the same time.

If you look at the colors on a thousand dollar 27-30" S-IPS monitor, the typical gaming rig cheapo monitors look like washed out trash.
These S-IPS monitors have poor response times but look amazing. High speed movement is not their thing though.

Specs are an interesting exercise.

Newf.

.
m
0
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b C Monitor
December 29, 2012 12:25:02 AM

Yeah, I am with the above poster. For mutli-monitor gaming, you may be able to see if the screens do not match.

To be honest, most 2ms screens I have seen have real bad overdrive artifacts, but that is just me.

I am all for IPS screens, but keep in mind they have much lower contrast(fixed not that dynamic stuff) then some other screen types(lets say VA based), but better viewing angles.

I highly recommend looking at screens in the store on display because all users have a different requirement.

Maybe I have been spoiled here, but I fine many screens have lots of trouble with dark colors as well as glow on many of the newer ips screens.

S-PVA has its own down side and that is overdrive artifacts for sure.

S-PVA left E-IPS on the right(25% brightness on the S-PVA and 100% on the e-ips, it did not help and just made bright colors TOO bright to me.). The camera can see more then me, so the images are a bit darker in real life.
http://imageshack.us/a/img441/4199/dsc0262dr.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img600/7891/dsc0252jn.jpg

Then you have TN, fast response, lower color, less viewing angles. Generally for just games, many will get TN. Its cheap and fast, just remember to check in store if you can, some have very bad dithering/color banding.
m
0
l
December 29, 2012 1:41:32 AM

Lets say you play on 200fps which is 5ms refresh rate (1s/200=0.005s). I highly doubt you will play any games at this fps without tearing. 5ms is quite enough for any kind of use imo.

My friend has a 2ms response monitor and I dont notice any difference on my 5ms one.
m
0
l
December 29, 2012 2:32:02 AM

If I were to have a mutimonitor set up with different response time would that be bad?
m
0
l
December 29, 2012 2:42:21 AM

stevenk92 said:
If I were to have a mutimonitor set up with different response time would that be bad?

How many is multi?
Nobody in their right mind would play games on 2 monitors. The action is in the split!
Unless you are talking about gaming, this whole conversation does not matter.
3 monitors is a different discussion.

So.

How many monitors are you talking about, and what are you doing?

Newf.

.
m
0
l
December 29, 2012 2:44:29 AM

For those who don't know/remember, monitor response time mattered a whole lot more 7 years ago when 25ms times were normal. The difference between 2ms and 5ms is insignificant.
m
0
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b C Monitor
December 29, 2012 3:02:15 AM

Matching screens are always going to be the best way to go.

All screens also have a different amount of input lag that has to be looked at as well.

If you are gaming across more then one screen and they are not damn close you will actually see a delay from screen to screen(most noticeable if you look up then down), how much depends on the screens you use.
m
0
l
December 29, 2012 3:20:06 AM

nukemaster said:
Matching screens are always going to be the best way to go.


Exactly. If your going to game with multiple monitors, but buy multiples of the same unit.
m
0
l
December 29, 2012 5:18:09 AM

Newf said:
How many is multi?
Nobody in their right mind would play games on 2 monitors. The action is in the split!
Unless you are talking about gaming, this whole conversation does not matter.
3 monitors is a different discussion.

So.

How many monitors are you talking about, and what are you doing?

Newf.

.

I only have 1 currently but im going to be going towards 3 in the near future
m
0
l
December 29, 2012 5:27:30 AM

stevenk92 said:
I have a 24" monitor from asus with a response time of 2ms
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Would I run into any problems if I go with another monitor with a different response time of 2ms?

This is the OP's question.
No gaming, or any other use is mentioned.
We are guessing at this point unless more information is provided.
No one is wrong here. We just don't know why the question is being asked.

It is much more common for a 2 monitor setup to be split between 2 uses than for gaming across 2 screens.
Gaming with 3 monitors can make lots of sense, with the majority of action on the center screen.

Based on the OP's original question, I would have to say that no problems would occur with a different monitor.
Oddly enough I think that it's not the response time that is the main problem, but that different models are being set next to each other. If the workload between monitors is split it makes little difference. If not then it can.
We can continue to guess until stevenk92 gets back to us...

Newf.

.
m
0
l
December 29, 2012 5:28:56 AM

stevenk92 said:
I only have 1 currently but im going to be going towards 3 in the near future

Then you want them to be the same.

Newf.

.
m
0
l
December 29, 2012 10:55:16 AM

Newf said:
This is the OP's question.
No gaming, or any other use is mentioned.
We are guessing at this point unless more information is provided.
No one is wrong here. We just don't know why the question is being asked.

It is much more common for a 2 monitor setup to be split between 2 uses than for gaming across 2 screens.
Gaming with 3 monitors can make lots of sense, with the majority of action on the center screen.

Based on the OP's original question, I would have to say that no problems would occur with a different monitor.
Oddly enough I think that it's not the response time that is the main problem, but that different models are being set next to each other. If the workload between monitors is split it makes little difference. If not then it can.
We can continue to guess until stevenk92 gets back to us...

Newf.

.

I apologize for the lack of information. I will game with 1 and browse with the other then when I get 3 I will be gaming with all 3
m
0
l
!