Synchronising Folders

I have two folders, one on the my computer (NT) and one on my laptop (XP
Pro). Can I make it so every time I log on the relevant files are copied
onto each machine? So for eaxmple, if something is added to the desktop,
when I connect to the network the file automatically copies to my laptop and
vice versa.

One of the uses of this is to have a central directory of Favourites, so
when we all log on we all get the same favourites directory updated to our
laptops.

Thanks for your help
2 answers Last reply
More about synchronising folders

    Hi Simon,

    I wanted to have exactly the same to happen to me, with a desktop running XP
    Home and a laptop running XP Pro. The sharing of Favorites was one facility
    I wanted

    What I found was that XP Pro supports synchronisation so that the laptop
    will synchronise with the desktop, but not vice versa.

    File sharing could be set on the laptop, so that when both machines were on
    and connected to the netwrok (which is all the time that they are on), the
    desktop could read the laptop files, but they would not actually
    synchronise. Log out of the laptop and the laptop files were no longer
    available from the desktop.

    I gave up on trying share Favorites for this reason.

    Since NT is an earlier OS than XP, I would assume you would get the same
    result.

    If anyone can offer some advice on how to resolve this, I will also be
    interested.
    --
    Cheers,
    Trevor L.

    Simon wrote:
    > I have two folders, one on the my computer (NT) and one on my laptop
    > (XP Pro). Can I make it so every time I log on the relevant files
    > are copied onto each machine? So for eaxmple, if something is added
    > to the desktop, when I connect to the network the file automatically
    > copies to my laptop and vice versa.
    >
    > One of the uses of this is to have a central directory of Favourites,
    > so when we all log on we all get the same favourites directory
    > updated to our laptops.
    >
    > Thanks for your help

    http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html

    "=?Utf-8?B?U2ltb24=?=" <Simon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

    If you are wanting a way to have a central area for IE Favorites I have
    found the following website useful www.mybookmarks.com

    It allows you to have your favorites stored on a central accesble location
    it is free and it allows you to import / export directly to and from IE as
    well as Mozilla Engine Browsers. It also allows you if you choice to show
    your favorites public to give a group of people access to your favorites.
    Windows Briefcase is still in windows XP however it seems to now be a very
    poorly documented feature of Microsoft.

    > I have two folders, one on the my computer (NT) and one on my laptop
    > (XP Pro). Can I make it so every time I log on the relevant files are
    > copied onto each machine? So for eaxmple, if something is added to
    > the desktop, when I connect to the network the file automatically
    > copies to my laptop and vice versa.
    >
    > One of the uses of this is to have a central directory of Favourites,
    > so when we all log on we all get the same favourites directory updated
    > to our laptops.
    >
    > Thanks for your help

Configuration Laptops Customization Windows XP