Inexpensive way to test network throughput

TStevens

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
OK.

I work at a small company and we seem to have a potential network issue where we are not getting good LAN throughput. We are in the process of elimination and there are arguments occurring between the people in charge of network, FW, servers, and storage.

We are seeing slow file transfer and ftp but our tools show plenty of capacity available. I am trying to figure out what (fairly) inexpensive methods I can use to verify throughput and am looking for an option that removes OS considerations and as much of storage as possible, so we can either eliminate or verify network as the source so we can concentrate on the appropriate segment.

Is there something like a handheld unit with some memory for caching that you can give an IP and gateway and get TCP throughput? Or anyone have an idea of a simple NAS type product that has some memory for buffering (so storage does not slow down) and good ethernet throughput?

There must be some creative ways to do this. We have some linux laptops but I would like to eliminate factors even further. Anything with an OS has finger pointing potential ;)

Any ideas? Thanks!