Sign in with
Your question

Computer won't boot, just upgraded CPU Cooler, did I fry CPU?

Last response: in CPUs
December 29, 2012 1:05:25 AM

My computer was working fine earlier today, but I think the CPU may be fried now after upgrading its cooler. I have a MSI P67A-C43 (MS-7673) motherboard with an i5-2500k. I upgraded its cooler to a Hyper 212 Evo and then put the computer back together. I powered it on, it turned on for a split second and then it turned off. I realized I hadn't connected the CPU cord from the PSU to the MB. I connected the cord and powered on. I get a few normal beeps and then 5 error beeps. My monitor's display is blank and remains blank. CPU fan spins normally and 4 lights on the motherboard above the CPU, under the text "Active Phase Switching", all light up. I assumed that these lights referred to the CPU cores' activity

So, did I fry my CPU? Not sure what else the problem could be.

I need this computer working ASAP, classes start on the 7th and I need it for applying for internships during the rest of break.
a c 788 à CPUs
December 29, 2012 1:13:34 AM

Start by resetting BIOS/CMOS and try again.
December 29, 2012 2:19:17 AM

rolli59 said:
Start by resetting BIOS/CMOS and try again.

Just took the CMOS battery out and put it back in. Same thing happens. 5 error beeps and no display. What's the likelihood that this is fixable/I forgot to do something when putting it back together (don't think this is the issue)? Really don't have the money for a new CPU right now.
Related resources
December 29, 2012 2:44:53 AM

rolli59 said:
Process failure http://us.msi.com/service/TroubleShootGuide/ 5 beeps. I would try disassemble and reassemble and hope.

That's what I feared. Not sure how it happened though. The only thing I wasn't sure about when changing the cooler was using a coffee filter to wipe off the old paste, but that seems to be considered safe, so I'm not sure what happened.

Thanks for the help.
December 29, 2012 12:58:55 PM

I removed the cooler and put my old Zalman one that I had on earlier. CPU works fine now and computer boots without the 5 error beeps.

What could I have done wrong when mounting the Hyper 212 Evo that may have caused this? I would still like to mount it.
a c 788 à CPUs
December 29, 2012 1:13:31 PM

Based on that I would look at the mounting. Looks like it was not cooling the CPU.
December 29, 2012 2:52:52 PM

I took it off and reseated the Hyper 212, but I'm getting the error again. Backplate looks good, only the green non-conductive material on it touches the MB.

I can't figure out what's wrong. You can't tighten the center screw or do anything with it, other than placing it in the hole, right?
December 29, 2012 3:31:32 PM

Just checked it. Don't see anything wrong. I'm going to try and take some pics of the backplate and the mount and uplpoad them.
December 30, 2012 2:27:15 AM

Well I recently installed the 212 cooler on an i5 3570k and i7 3770k...

since others suggest it's not cooling the cpu:

Did you peel off the sticker on heatsink?

did you mount the heatsink properly using that "X/cross retention bracket"... if i remember correctly it should have small "grooves that will seat a pin from the heatsink" ... i think there's a pin sticking upwards from the heatsink for the bracket's hole/groove

!