Computer won't boot, just upgraded CPU Cooler, did I fry CPU?

cmorris1441

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
My computer was working fine earlier today, but I think the CPU may be fried now after upgrading its cooler. I have a MSI P67A-C43 (MS-7673) motherboard with an i5-2500k. I upgraded its cooler to a Hyper 212 Evo and then put the computer back together. I powered it on, it turned on for a split second and then it turned off. I realized I hadn't connected the CPU cord from the PSU to the MB. I connected the cord and powered on. I get a few normal beeps and then 5 error beeps. My monitor's display is blank and remains blank. CPU fan spins normally and 4 lights on the motherboard above the CPU, under the text "Active Phase Switching", all light up. I assumed that these lights referred to the CPU cores' activity

So, did I fry my CPU? Not sure what else the problem could be.

I need this computer working ASAP, classes start on the 7th and I need it for applying for internships during the rest of break.

cmorris1441

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012

Just took the CMOS battery out and put it back in. Same thing happens. 5 error beeps and no display. What's the likelihood that this is fixable/I forgot to do something when putting it back together (don't think this is the issue)? Really don't have the money for a new CPU right now.

cmorris1441

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012

That's what I feared. Not sure how it happened though. The only thing I wasn't sure about when changing the cooler was using a coffee filter to wipe off the old paste, but that seems to be considered safe, so I'm not sure what happened.

Thanks for the help.

cmorris1441

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
I removed the cooler and put my old Zalman one that I had on earlier. CPU works fine now and computer boots without the 5 error beeps.

What could I have done wrong when mounting the Hyper 212 Evo that may have caused this? I would still like to mount it.

cmorris1441

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
I took it off and reseated the Hyper 212, but I'm getting the error again. Backplate looks good, only the green non-conductive material on it touches the MB.

I can't figure out what's wrong. You can't tighten the center screw or do anything with it, other than placing it in the hole, right?

meneedhelp

Honorable
Oct 4, 2012
Well I recently installed the 212 cooler on an i5 3570k and i7 3770k...

since others suggest it's not cooling the cpu:

Did you peel off the sticker on heatsink?

did you mount the heatsink properly using that "X/cross retention bracket"... if i remember correctly it should have small "grooves that will seat a pin from the heatsink" ... i think there's a pin sticking upwards from the heatsink for the bracket's hole/groove