Sign in with
Your question

Why is my CPU so hot?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
December 29, 2012 1:16:05 AM

My old phenom 965 broke, so I replaced it with an fx 8320. I just got a corsair h55 as well. My games a crashing because my CPU is getting to hot. I think it was @ 70C. I am having trouble since speed fan is being stupid. I think it is reading the cpu as temp2. I am trying to figure out if that is right or not. I don't know if I screwed up on something when I installed my cooler or not. Please help with my speed fan and cooler problem if you have any suggestions.

More about : cpu hot

December 29, 2012 1:33:25 AM

lt_dan_zsu said:
My old phenom 965 broke, so I replaced it with an fx 8320. I just got a corsair h55 as well. My games a crashing because my CPU is getting to hot. I think it was @ 70C. I am having trouble since speed fan is being stupid. I think it is reading the cpu as temp2. I am trying to figure out if that is right or not. I don't know if I screwed up on something when I installed my cooler or not. Please help with my speed fan and cooler problem if you have any suggestions.

You could check if your thermal paste has dried up in your heatsink. Alternatively, you can try replacing your heatsink.
a c 793 à CPUs
December 29, 2012 1:37:12 AM

Start by checking with other temp monitors as well, check what the programs are reporting compared to BIOS as well on start up. Third party programs are often wrong and offsets need to be set.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
December 29, 2012 1:49:57 AM

What other programs would you recommend I use? I am also having trouble uping the speed of the fan and the pump, but I am having some trouble upping that. My motherboard is the msi 970A G45. I know my cpu got hot though because my game crashed.
a c 793 à CPUs
December 29, 2012 1:54:30 AM

Game can crash for a different reason. Coretemp is what I use and I had to set -15°C offset when compared to BIOS. http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/
December 29, 2012 1:55:05 AM

Are you sure it's your CPU? 70C won't crash a system. Yes it a little high for closed loop but it's functioning so check the installation if you have taken it off make sure to clean and replace the Arctic Silver 5. Are you/have to tried running stock clocks? Have you changed anything else?
December 29, 2012 1:58:51 AM

Well, I can't think of anything else that would be causing it to fail.
a b à CPUs
December 29, 2012 2:02:45 AM

lt_dan_zsu said:
Well, I can't think of anything else that would be causing it to fail.

Test, don't guess. Downclock and undervolt your processor. Set it at 3ghz and 1.2 volts. That should bring the temps way down. See what happens.
December 29, 2012 2:13:18 AM

Yeah ok, I am really having trouble controlling my fan speeds. Is there anything you could think of.
a c 793 à CPUs
December 29, 2012 2:13:43 AM

Did you reset BIOS after upgrade? What happened to the 965? The board you are using is far from recommended for overclock http://www.overclock.net/t/946407/amd-motherboards-vrm-... are you overclocking? Was the 965 overclocked could have been the board failing?
Text on MSI website for that board "Due to power design specifications,we strongly advise against running heavy burn in tools on this mainboard to protect your system from heat damage."
(I am the unlucky owner of the same board running a FX8350 at stock, bought with an X3 before bulldozer release)
December 29, 2012 2:15:24 AM

What exactly to do mean trouble controlling your fan speeds? Which fan, how are you trying, and what is happening?
December 29, 2012 2:25:28 AM

I can't find the fans on anything, even though they are connected to the motherboard
a b à CPUs
December 29, 2012 2:28:14 AM

lt_dan_zsu said:
I can't find the fans on anything, even though they are connected to the motherboard

Not all motherboard fan pins provide speed control.
December 29, 2012 2:57:04 AM

Update. I just used AMD overdrive. I had never used it before, so I didn't know that I could check cpu status as well. I ran a stability test provided by overdrive, and it was saying my cpu temps were at 26C while during the stability test. Now my cpu is idle and it is reporting my temps for each core at about 14-16C. Do you think this is BS? If not I will be very happy with my h55.
a c 793 à CPUs
December 29, 2012 3:06:13 AM

Well those temps are really low and much lower than ambient in most peoples houses 20C= 68F to get lower temps than ambient you will need refrigeration.
December 29, 2012 3:12:29 AM

Yeah, Idk if that is right. My BIOS normally reports around 26. How should I estimate? Should I just average them?
a b à CPUs
December 29, 2012 3:18:18 AM

rolli59 said:
Well those temps are really low and much lower than ambient in most peoples houses 20C= 68F to get lower temps than ambient you will need refrigeration.

Those temps also sound a whole lot more like liquid cooling. Doesn't solve the clash mystery though.
a c 793 à CPUs
December 29, 2012 3:26:52 AM

26 is correct then. So right after startup the monitoring program should show very close to that.
a b à CPUs
December 29, 2012 3:42:32 AM

lt_dan_zsu said:
Update. I just used AMD overdrive. I had never used it before, so I didn't know that I could check cpu status as well. I ran a stability test provided by overdrive, and it was saying my cpu temps were at 26C while during the stability test. Now my cpu is idle and it is reporting my temps for each core at about 14-16C. Do you think this is BS? If not I will be very happy with my h55.

I misread this the first time. I thought you said 26c at idle. That sounds a bit low to me.
December 29, 2012 4:07:35 AM

So, what is temp2? I can't figure that out. Temp 2 is the one that was getting really hot
!