Andriokz

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2012
Hey guys, I'm having some trouble getting the right system started for Gaming. I've built computers before, but I'm hearing some stuff that I'm not familiar with (RAM latency and all that). Pretty much I'm trying to build a comp that can handle games like Metro 2033 and really graphic intensive games. It's mainly the CPU and RAM combo I'm having trouble on. I was thinking of getting one of the new LGA2011 MBs with the Intel Core i7-3820 and 8-16 gigs of Corsair Vengeance 1866 MHz. This is all on the ASUS P9X79 PRO MB. Any suggestions as to what combinations you recommend or if I should backdrop to LGA 1155 and save some cash?

DeusAres

Distinguished
First of all, a lga 2011 based build is overkill for gaming. Also, Metro 2033 isn't necessarily graphically intense, just poorly optimized. Even the gtx 670 struggles to run it on ultra settings. For RAM, all you need is a 2x4gb kit of RAM rated at 1600MHz with 9-9-9-24 cas latency.

In order to make things easy, copy and paste the following template into your post and edit the examples to suit your needs:

Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: this week (the closer the better)

Budget Range: (e.g.: 300-400) Before / After Rebates; Before / After Shipping

System Usage from Most to Least Important: (e.g.: Folding@Home, gaming, surfing the internet, watching movies)

Are you buying a monitor: Yes / No

Parts to Upgrade: (e.g.: CPU, mobo, RAM) **Include Power Supply Make & Model If Re-using**

Do you need to buy OS: Yes / No
Please note that if you're using an OEM license of Windows, you will need a new one when buying a new motherboard.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: (e.g.: newegg.com, ncix.com -- to show us selection & pricing)

Location: City, State/Region, Country - we need to know where these parts are being assembled and whether there are good store-only deals available

Parts Preferences: by brand or type (e.g.: I would like to upgrade to Intel CPU)

Overclocking: Yes / No / Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Yes / No / Maybe

Your Monitor Resolution: (e.g.: 1024x768, 1280x1024, 1440x900, 1600x1200, 1680x1050, 1920x1080, 1920x1200 or if you're upgrading please state what you'd want to get)

Additional Comments: (e.g.: Need to have a window and lots of bling, I would like a quiet PC. Please also list specific software or games you're using)

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: (e.g. I'm having trouble running game X or my PSU broke)

Andriokz

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2012
Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: this week (the closer the better)

Budget Range: 700-900

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Business porjects and intro to programming (Computer Science Major), movies.

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: CPU, MB, and Ram. I'll wait for the GFX Card

Do you need to buy OS: No, I got a spare Win 7

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg and TigerDirect have been my source for years

Location: Indiana SB; TigerDirect's ground reaches here in 2-3 days

Parts Preferences: Intel from what I've heard from the i7

Overclocking: Oh yes.

SLI or Crossfire: Was thinking of doing so with the 460, but may want to save that for later since it's only 2 gens behind. I will eventually upgrade to ATI's 7000 gen or NVidias 600 gen, but that will come around xmas.

Your Monitor Resolution: 1024x780, but I plan on buying a 3D 23 inch and play anywhere from 1480-1920. For super intensive games it'll probably be 1280.

Just raw fast power. I multitask alot (browsers, itunes, explorer in the back round while gaming.)

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Well my computer just kind of shorted and currently its a 2.2 AMD x2 Dual core with 2 GB of RAM. My power supply is 680 watts so I'm not worried about it right now neither my HDs or any other component. I want something that will be ready for the Metro Live Light or GTA 5. I'm one of those gamers who love the bells and whistles, but I want it to run smoothly (45-60 fps).

DeusAres

Distinguished
Here ya go...

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $404.96
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-13 20:21 EDT-0400)

If you're computer shorted, it may be in your best interest to find out what caused it to short. If it was the PSU, you'll need to grab a better PSU. Something in the 750 watt range if you plan on doing SLI. You'll also want to make sure it's 80+ certified and manufactured by a reputable company such as Seasonic.

Steverl22

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012
This board is a great help...I'm coming from a P4 3ghz - 2gb of ram - ati X800 pro AGP to:

I5 3570k @4.2Ghz - Asrock extreme4 - hyper evo plus - 16gb G.skill ripjaw - Samsung 128gb SSD - 1TB clavier black
EVGA GTX 670 2gb FTW - OCZ 750w - Coolmaster Storm Trooper full case

Fill out that template and I'll help where I can.

Andriokz

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2012
Yea I'll have to upgrade it with SLI. As for what shorted it... I know what did it and all I can recommend is not drinking vodka near an open PC; don't ask. You sure this will be able to handle those kind of games? I know the budget is nice, but maxing out the new GTA 5 is what is what's most wanted from this PC. Not to doubt the expertise at all just wasn't sure if you were optimizing for both budget and performance or performance alone. I want to go all out on those new up and coming games and take revenge on the FPS I had in Witcher 2.

DeusAres

Distinguished
The GPU is your primary bottleneck as far as FPS goes.

If you have everything else for the build, I suggest you get the gtx 670 along with the parts I recommended. Shouldn't have any problem running the witcher 2 and gta 5 maxed out at comfortable frames.

Andriokz

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2012
I'm sure it could handle witcher no problem. I just want to play those games at around 45 so I can say "LOOK AT THAT $$%# SHADOW!!! IT'S SO REAAALLL!!111!11!". To play GTA 5 with all that maxed out at that frame is all I want haha.