Enabling DMA locks up my system with Kenwood 72x??

cpujunky

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Here is what we got:
------------------------------
-Windows 98SE
-AMD AthlonC
-Hercules Game Theater XP
-512MB PC133
ASUS A7V133
4 IDE ports, 2 RAID/UDMA100 and 2 UDMA100
-MAXTOR 15GB 7200rpm
Master on RAID port 1 @ UDMA 100
-MAXTOR 30GB 7200rpm
Master on Raid port 2 @ UDMA 100
-TDK 16/10/40X writer
Master on IDE port 1 @ PIO mode 4
-KENWOOD 72x True-X CD-ROM
Master on IDE port 2 @ UDMA/33
-PIONEER 16x DVD
Slave on IDE port 2 @ UDMA/33

Everything works great except for the Kenwood 72x. When I enable DMA on it, I reboot and everything seems to work fine. However, when I try to do anything with it it locks up. For instance, starting Max Payne with the Kenwood will lock up the system, burning a CD being read from the Kenwood will lock up the system, ripping a CD will lock up the system, you get the idea ;) Also, just accessing the drive through Windows Explorer seems rather slow, like its not transfering right. When the system does lock up, for instance with Max Payne, the hard drive light will get stuck on. Its as if right when the drive tried to access the cdrom, it froze.

Yes I've updated my drivers/4-1/bios/firmware, switched the cables around, you name it I've tried it. I really love this drive, but I need to figure this out. Hell, even with DMA turned off it seems very slow (although that could be a result of DMAbeing turned off ;)

I would GREATLY appreciate any help you can give. I've tried all I can think of and nothing works. I would like to keep this drive but not if its nothing more than a bay filler ;)

THANKS!

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
yep, i had the same problem a few weeks ago with my older cdrom(not even sure the brand, but i think lite-on 36x). anyways when i installed powerdvd, it enabled dma mode for the cdrom too. whenever i went to play an avi, mpg, etc in windows media player, i'd lock up. could only run it in PIO mode. since then i got a 56x afreey, all is well.

CPUs are like testicles, every computer should have 2!

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Well, the only thing that comes to mind is crash/reload. Only God know how many times I've fixed stupid problems under windows using that method......

Anyway, try putting the detonators on (if you use them), then 4.32 4n1 right off the bat. After I load those, my hard disk and kenwood both go to udma under win2k without me having to actually select it (default is pio4).

G

It is not recommended to give a dvd or cdrom DMA and windows will kick it out.