Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

FX 6200 or Core i3 3220?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
Share
December 29, 2012 4:28:36 AM

Hello

I was planning to build a low budget system, and I wonder which one would do better to fill my needs, I'm planning to do a bit serious gaming(not too hardcore), and a lot of powerpoint editing with a lot of animation while browsing the web at the same time. Sometimes I'll also do a little photoshop editing.

edited: I also watch a lot of videos

I plan to get amd fx 6200 or the i3 3220, which one would be the best options?

and yes I will use dedicated gpu, so onboard gpu quality doesn't count.


thanks & regards

More about : 6200 core 3220

a c 141 à CPUs
December 29, 2012 4:31:55 AM

insurgentx said:
Hello

I was planning to build a low budget system, and I wonder which one would do better to fill my needs, I'm planning to do a bit serius gaming, and a lot of powerpoint editing with a lot of animation while browsing the web at the same time. Sometimes I'll also do a little photoshop editing.

I plan to get amd fx 6200 or the i3 3220, which one would be the best options?

and yes I will use dedicated gpu, so onboard gpu quality doesn't count.


thanks & regards


There really is no point in getting a Bulldozer CPU if your main purpose is gaming. The Bulldozer was crap and in gaming got beaten out by the older Phenom II that it was suppose to replace. The I3 is faster and more effcient than the Bulldozer.
December 29, 2012 4:51:49 AM

Get a FX-6300 and overclock it !!

jer :) 
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 29, 2012 4:54:47 AM

The FX 6200 is based on old Zambezi archetecture and really isn't worth your money.I'd get the Core i3 3220 over it any day.
However if you can get your hands on the FX 6300 that's a whole different story.In gaming it will trade blows with the i3, and blow it away in pretty much everything else.

By gaming i mean games that are not Starcraft, Civilization V or Skyrim as those are known to perform badly on AMD CPU's.
December 29, 2012 5:04:42 AM

Thanks for the reply :-)

but core i3 is dual core, would that pose a problem in the near future?
a b à CPUs
December 29, 2012 5:14:01 AM

Kamen_BG said:
The FX 6200 is based on old Zambezi archetecture and really isn't worth your money.I'd get the Core i3 3220 over it any day.
However if you can get your hands on the FX 6300 that's a whole different story.In gaming it will trade blows with the i3, and blow it away in pretty much everything else.


Exactly right. The FX 6300 is the right choice here.
December 29, 2012 5:15:43 AM

get the fx 6200 or fx 6300
December 29, 2012 5:25:21 AM

Sadly the FX 6300 is pretty rare in my place... and I don't shop online.
a b à CPUs
December 29, 2012 5:37:17 AM

insurgentx said:
Sadly the FX 6300 is pretty rare in my place... and I don't shop online.


The 6200 is serviceable, but not ideal. I would probably still take it over the 3220, but its a closer call.

Best solution

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
December 29, 2012 5:46:54 AM
Share

insurgentx said:
Thanks for the reply :-)

but core i3 is dual core, would that pose a problem in the near future?


how so?

right now the i3 is just about as good as any chip out there for gaming. if you are worried about the future, well that 6300 isn't going to cut the mustard sooner or later either. and when that time comes a i5-3470 @ stock will beat the pants off of an overclocked 8350 by 15% - 30%.

i photoshop and video encode also. so i used that as an excuse to get an i5 from the i3-2120 i had. most of the time i sit here and wonder why i bothered.
December 29, 2012 6:02:16 AM

I have my FX-6300 at 4.8Ghz rightnow and with better cooling it will do 5.0 or more as I have already had it there.
I don't have any games for it But it benchmarks on par and better than a stock i5-2500- and 3570k .

I got mine for $130 ( $10 off).
As far as up grading goes there are plenty of options as with the FX-8350 or 8320 and when the next Steamroller chip comes out it is supposed to be at least 45% faster yet next year.

FWIW

jer :) 
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
December 29, 2012 6:10:45 AM

geraldfryjr said:
I have my FX-6300 at 4.8Ghz rightnow and with better cooling it will do 5.0 or more as I have already had it there.
I don't have any games for it But it benchmarks on par and better than a stock i5-2500- and 3570k.


rubbish!
http://pclab.pl/art50000-60.html

more benchmarks @ the link above . .
December 29, 2012 6:15:07 AM

I Guess you didn't see the word "STOCK" !!!

It is still far better than any i3 for the same price !!!

I do every thing that the OP has mentioned and then some and it does it all just fine.
I do productive things with my machine and have no use for games.


FWIW

jer :) 
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
December 29, 2012 6:25:36 AM

geraldfryjr said:
I Guess you didn't see the word "STOCK" !!!

It is still far better than any i3 for the same price !!!

her :) 

overclock both for a level playing field . . though if you bothered to really look than react you'll see the 2500 is hardly what you would call an "overclock".

and yes, it beats the i3 butt not nearly the amount you want to care to believe:

btw, your forgetting to add the price of a heatsink for than . . :non: 
i posted a link for reading . .

:lol: 
Quote:
I do every thing that the OP has mentioned and then some and it does it all just fine.
I do productive things with my machine and have no use for games.


nice edit . .
December 29, 2012 6:39:38 AM

I don't plan to overclock and FX 6300 is not an option simply because I couldn't find them anywhere in my place.

I see there's FX 4300 slightly beat the i3 but it costs more, would it worth the cost?

edited: guess I'll go with the i3, seeing that it can be upgraded to i5 in the future and it sits on top of the chart.

Thanks for the replies, regards :-)
December 29, 2012 6:44:10 AM

If you look you would see the 4.7Ghz is not stock for a 2500k or a 3570.

And they cost 90$ more hence the term "budget"!!!
I did not state that the FX-6300 was better than the 2500k or 3570.
I stated that it would be better that a i3 and/or a FX-6200 and overclocked it would give you as decent of performance as ( i repeat myself) stock clocked 2500k and/or 3570.

I got that clock on a Coolermaster Hyper 212+ with two fans and yes it is as high as it could go on such a cooler.

The cooler is irrealvant as there are better ones and they are always on added cost.

I have a Corsair H100 on a FX-6100 and it has a hard time doing what the FX-6300 does on just a cheapy air cooler.

jer :) 
December 29, 2012 6:47:00 AM

Best answer selected by insurgentx.
December 29, 2012 6:48:07 AM

The FX-4300 is the same as the FX-6300 only it is a 4 core chip instead of a 6 core chip.

They are of the same technology and both Vishera (piledriver) design.

jer :) 
!