System Freezing while playing Anno 2070.

zimzypoo

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
Recently I bought Anno 2070 on steam and have been experiencing random computer lock ups while playing. The screen freezes, no distorted graphics or BSOD, just a screen freeze and distorted sound. I can not figure out for the life of me what is causing it.

This problem only happens in Anno 2070 and happens at completely random times(anywhere from 5mins to 2hrs). All my temps are below 60c and I constantly monitor them. Iv tried setting CPU overclock back to default and GPU overclock back to default speeds with no success. I also can't seem to reliably recreate the problem outside Anno 2070. I have been playing Path of exile/ Dota 2 for months with no problems and benchmarking programs also don't seem to cause a hard lock.

Things I have tried:

- Tested memory in memtest86, several passes and no errors.
- Tested CPU/RAM in prime95(blend), ran overnight with no errors. (I got a rounding error in the first 30 mins but I reset my ram settings back to default and that seemed to be fix it, and continued to run fine all night but may hint at a hardware issue?.)
- Tested GPU with Unigine/3dmark11 for several hours, no problems here.
- Reformatted computer.
- Tried unplugging old hard drives and reinstalling game. Also tried to run game off my new SSD rather than my second drive, so I don't think its a Hard drive problem.
- Tried 12.11(beta drivers)/12.10./12.8 AMD drivers
- Tried adjusting Ram timings/voltages
- Updated audio Drivers

If it was a GPU/RAM/CPU/PSU hardware issue i would of thought one of the benchmarking programs would of brought it out. Anno 2070 is more CPU/RAM intensive than the other games I tend to play so it leads me to believe it could be a hardware issue with either of those or some sort of driver issue.

Anyone have any ideas? This is driving me crazy. Thanks.

System Specs:

i7-930(currently at stock)

7970 @ 1150/1600/ - 12.8 Drivers

6gb Ram

120gb SSD

500gb

Corsair 850W PSU

Scott_D_Bowen

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
When you installed the game your memory timings may have been too tight and/or your memory overclocked.

The game data would have been stored in memory prior to being committed to disk.

It is thus possible that the odd 'bit' here and there in your game data is corrupt, even though the media is OK, and your HDD is OK. (As your RAM wasn't OK, and your CPU may have also been overclocked).

Can you run a 'Verify Game Data Integrity' with auto-repair, or un-install then re-install the game with your currently stable memory timings and clock speed?

zimzypoo

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012

Thanks for the response. After trying what you said and still no success i decided to swap in my spare 6870 and that worked flawlessly. After putting back in the 7970, I crashed within 3 minutes. Going to RMA on monday.

TRENDING THREADS