Sign in with
Your question
Solved

First PC build ... off to a slow start!

Last response: in Systems
August 14, 2012 12:26:19 AM

Building a new PC. So far I have lots of help getting the right parts, great prices and getting things together ... thanks to all.

So tonight I turn things on ... get the boot screen ... get in to the BIOS to set the boot order to CD first ... restart the PC ... and nothing. I push the button to oped the CD drive (a Samsung SH-222BB) and nothing happens. I hold the button and nothing ... I push the button lots and other than seeing the green LED a couple times nothing.

I tried different plugs from the PSU and a second SATA2 port on the mobo on the mobo. I'm not seeing the issue here.

Is this what a DOA CD acts like or do I have even worse problems???

More about : build slow start

August 14, 2012 12:33:33 AM

aqualipt said:
no no no... don't worry, simply try another DVD drive or if have an extra computer laying around you can insert your windows disc into it and "burn it" into a 4GB + flash drive using this tool: http://images2.store.microsoft.com/prod/clustera/framew...

Is it possible that if I get Win7 installed on the PC the CD will work fine ... or do I need to RMA this and get a replacement sent?
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
August 14, 2012 12:36:53 AM

jrau said:
Is it possible that if I get Win7 installed on the PC the CD will work fine ... or do I need to RMA this and get a replacement sent?

i highly doubt your CD drive will work, do what i told you above and you will be able to install Win7 in no time!

if that was it then pick a best answer to close this thread so everyone can see it
August 14, 2012 12:38:33 AM

aqualipt said:
i highly doubt your CD drive will work, do what i told you above and you will be able to install Win7 in no time!

if that was it then pick a best answer to close this thread so everyone can see it

OK then ... off to learn something new! Thanks for the directions ...
a b B Homebuilt system
August 14, 2012 12:43:19 AM

jrau said:
OK then ... off to learn something new! Thanks for the directions ...

Don't worry, i am here to help, just close this thread a pick a Best anwser so everyone can see this thread as "Solved"

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
August 14, 2012 1:03:01 AM

to see if the drive tray is bad.use a paper clip and see if the drive tray will open. with the cd-rom to work right make sure your using the intel sata ports. some mb have thrid party chipset and there only good for hard drives. cd-rom drive can glitch to unglitch them you have to power off the pc and then power back on. also make sure in your bios the sata ports are set to achi not ide or raid.
August 14, 2012 9:47:13 AM

Best answer selected by jrau.
!