My custom PC does not start

bymbie

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
Hi. I'm not sure if this is the right place, but I am looking for some help with my desktop. The system is a little bit over a year old. This is my build thread:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/309697-31-intel-2500k-build-comment

About a month ago, my computer just would not boot. It got to Windows password screen, kept loading and restarted... It did start in safe-mode, ran virus/spyware tests, upgraded all drivers and it was working again.

About a week ago it did it again. I installed a new driver for my video card (XFX Radeon HD 6950) the day before, so I re-rolled my system to the old settings, but it didn't solve the problem. Same issue - get past the login screen than restart.

A day later my system would not start at all. Once in a while my fans spin once... but that is all I got.

I checked all the connections... Given that the fans spin for a sec, I assume that my PSU is alive. I have 2x4 Ripjaw RAM - tried booting with only one, but makes no difference.

Any suggestions how to proceed from here? I believe my mobo is still under warranty.

(i5 2500k, ASRock P67 EXTREME4 B3, XFX Radeon HD 6950)

Thanks. ~bymbie

thedeathclox

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2012
I believe your psu is in need of a replacement. Sometimes, before dying, the PSU will cause a wide array of system errors, followed by not allowing the computer to start. PSU's can cause a lot of problems, and they might even cause BSOD's, and hardware failure. I would see if I could test the output or plug it into a friends computer and see if their computer starts. If it does, try their PSU in your computer. Does your system give a beep code? That would be very helpful to know. As for your windows problem, if you can, find another computer you can get your hands on and pop your hard drive into it and attempt to boot from there. Good luck, Ill check back now and again to see how your problem is going. :p

bymbie

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
I thought I included my PSU in the first post.... sorry. It is a XFX 750W PRO750W Core Edition. 14 month old.

Doing the paper clip test right now... will report back in a couple of minutes.

Thinking about it now, we had some black-out last couple of weeks. No storms, just power goes off. That just comes with the Canadian Arctic I guess.

bymbie

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
NWT here... It's pretty north for me :) Did the paperclip test with a 12V fan connected.

1. Nothing happens. Fine-tune paperclip...
2. Fan spins. Turn PSU on and off a couple times and fan is still happy.
3. Wait a couple minutes, turn on PSU, fan is happy for a minute than stops.
4. Get one lick, probably 1 sec.
5. Nada. Fine-tune paperclip...
6. Nada.

I would say that this PSU is passed on! It is no more! It has ceased to be! It's expired and gone to meet its maker! Bereft of life, pushing up the daisies!

Is that a safe assumption?

Still under warranty - that is the good news. But maybe I should test the system with a different PSU - the only problem is that I have no replacement. Maybe I can take it into a repair shop and they can test the system with one...

G

RMA it with XFX. Go to site and open a claim. I would suggest calling if there is a number listed.
This could easily take a week or two.

Are you going to buy a different PSU? or use the replacement?

bymbie

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
Thanks just4today. I opened an online claim with them and will call customer service. I'm really not concerned about the time it takes to fix it... I will grab some files from the HD and use my laptop for work. No games right now, first baby is any day now.

As far as the PSU, I think I will just use the replacement. It is more than enough for my hardware and XFX is a brand I trust.

I did not mention the paperclip test in my claim. Is that an accepted troubleshoot mechanism?

bymbie

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
Did an RMA with XFX - sending in the PSU today. It will take some time to get in back.

How likely is it that the PSU also murdered other components? I have no access to a PSU, so I can't test my system right now.