themegadinesen

Honorable
Jun 3, 2012
How much of a performance impact can PhysX have if it runs on the CPU rather than the GPU??
(Assuming the CPU is an i7-2600k and the GPU a GTX 560ti)
On AMD GPUs, I assume it runs on the CPU only... How does it performs against the green guys??

xtreme5

Distinguished
physX only works with thier own party group called NVIDIA, you need two different cards one for physx like gtx 560ti the other one for normal use like a gtx 580..
but not all the games support physx in some case it would become a waste if you don't play physx supported games like (mafia2, batman arkham city/asylem, mirror edge, metro 2033 etc).

physx will also kill some of your fps too.

xtreme5

Distinguished
here is one of the PHYSX scene from MAFIA ll.
physx ON:
physx.png

physx OFF:

themegadinesen

Honorable
Jun 3, 2012
I know PhysX is only for Nvidia GPUs... The answer that I was looking for was if I enable PhysX and make it run on the CPU only, how much of a performance impact will I get if I would have enabled it to run on the GPU.
This is just a random question that just popped up in my mind a few seconds ago.
I know its a bit of a mindf*ck but please bear with me..
Geez, I need to get some sleep.

Does your board have two pci-e slots that work in crossfire or sli 8x8 mode? If so and want to go ati you can use modified nvidia drivers to allow the use of a dedicated physx (using a cheap 8800/9800gt or some other card of your choice) while using any card of your choice as a main card even if it were to be another but a different model nvidia card. There are performance improvements either way.

I think a lot of you don't understand the difference between PhysX and GPU accelerated PhysX.

There are a lot of game engines that run PhysX on the CPU. The vast majority of game engines that use PhysX, only do it on the CPU. There are a few games, like Batman and Mafia, that support GPU accelerated PhysX. In these titles, you need an Nvidia card to be able to turn up the settings and get respectable FPS. In most, you can still turn it on, even without an Nvidia card, but it'll run on the CPU, and run very poorly.

Metro 2033 is an exception. While it'll allow for GPU accelerated PhysX, it is used in such limited fashion, that it doesn't hardly take a hit by running it on the CPU.

I'll guess that you haven't done dedicated cards let alone configure settings in the nvidia control panel to select which card or cpu that would be running physx. Second more than just one game supports physx running on a gpu.

I have done PhysX in several different ways. I've done it with the GenL hack with an AMD card and a 9800gt dedicated card. I've done it with Nvidia cards alone, and I've done it without.

I never said there was only 1 game, I even gave 2-3 examples of games that do support GPU accelerated PhsX. However, there are only about 20-30 PhysX games that support GPU accelerated PhysX. There are at least a 100-200 that don't.

People often confuse GPU Accelerated PhysX with just PhysX. PhysX runs on both the CPU and GPU. GPU accelerated PhysX gives you a lot more PhysX performance, allowing for more advanced PhysX settings.

themegadinesen

Honorable
Jun 3, 2012

That's the answer I was looking for :D
Some people have a confusion between 'Physics in games' and 'PhysX'
The normal one is just normal physics that you should see in games while PhysX is an 'advanced' technology that some games like Arkham City, Mirrors Edge, Mafia II have....