Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Quick Question About VGA and DVI-I

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 24, 2012 5:38:05 PM

Ok So I have 2 vga monitors. The end of the monitor cords that you plug into your computer are blue. My graphics card has two dvi slots. Let's refer to this image from now on.

http://cdn.overclock.net/2/21/215b66d1_all-DVI-types.jp...

So again my 2 monitors are the ones on the bottom.

The graphics card has slots for the 2nd one on the list and the 4th one on the list.

I have two adapters that go from vga to the 2nd one on the list (The one with 4 pins on the side)

So this means that one of my adapters will work in the right slot, but what can I do to get the other slot to work?

Can I pull out the 4 pins in one of my adapters to plug into the dvi-d?

In this link this person converted their device it seems like in one of the pictures at the bottom
http://robertlathanh.com/2009/08/beware-of-dvi-i-cables...

If I was too unclear or if I was being confusing lmk and I'll try and make it much more simpler.
Thanks for any help you can provide.

More about : quick question vga dvi

a c 540 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
June 24, 2012 6:11:03 PM

You say that your graphics card can only out put a digital signal on the second DVI port because that is what DVI-D is.

Your monitors only accept a analog video signals.

How do you intend on forcing your graphics card to output analog video signals to the DVI-D port? It's just not possible.

You need a graphics card that has two ports that output analog video signals. It could be any combination of DVI-I, HDMI or VGA as long as the DVI-I and HDMI ports use the appropriate adapters.
m
l
Related resources
June 24, 2012 6:29:10 PM

ko888 said:
Did you check the customer feedback on that adapter? It doesn't work for the exact reason in my post above.

I understand what you're saying now.

Can you help consider these two ideas I have?

So idea 1:
The motherboard has a slot for vga. I could use the vga there for my second monitor and the adapter for the one port on my graphics card?

Idea 2:
My old graphics card was able to handle my vga monitors. What if I put both graphics cards into my new computer and plugged one monitor into one card and the other monitor into the other card.

Could that work?
m
l

Best solution

a c 540 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
June 24, 2012 9:25:01 PM

tinhajj said:
I understand what you're saying now.

Can you help consider these two ideas I have?

So idea 1:
The motherboard has a slot for vga. I could use the vga there for my second monitor and the adapter for the one port on my graphics card?

Idea 2:
My old graphics card was able to handle my vga monitors. What if I put both graphics cards into my new computer and plugged one monitor into one card and the other monitor into the other card.

Could that work?

What is the specific brand and model of your graphics card?

The Radeon HD 4670 comes with two RAMDACs which means that it can drive two analog monitors. Whether or not the second RAMDAC provides analog signals to the second DVI port may depend on the specific brand and model of the card.

Your Idea 2 should work.
June 26, 2012 2:03:17 PM

Best answer selected by tinhajj.
m
l
!