Jack15911

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012
First post, so I appreciate any comments - I expect to say "What's that mean?" a bunch. Point me to a source and I'll read it. Here's my concept for a home surfing platform, with more details per the template below.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-4100 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor ($109.98 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-880GM-D2H (REV. 3.1) Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: AMD Performance Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($34.98 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.00 @ B&H)
Case: Antec NSK4482 ATX Mid Tower Case w/380W Power Supply ($87.50 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $396.43
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-13 21:06 EDT-0400)

Promised details:
Approximate Purchase Date: 15-31 August 2012

Budget Range: $400 +/-, plus shipping; I don't do rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: General surfing, spreadsheets, financial management applications, extending life of box by using Linux after Windows 7 goes non-supportable. We don't expect to game, but keeping the possibility open is a good idea.

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: No upgrades; current model is 1997 Dell Dimension 2350 Pentium II

Do you need to buy OS: Yes; Windows 7

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: ncix.com

Parts Preferences: by brand or type: As much AMD as possible - doing my part to keep them viable

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe in the future, but not important

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: Quiet and capable of some expansion - I keep computers a long time. Will dual-boot with Linux. My chosen optical drive is a placeholder, and I'll take advice on how to go with that, but I do need one for all the legacy cd/dvd's I have.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: My computer is 15 years old and now even mainstream Linux distros won't run.
:heink:

I've never built one before, but have done what I can to optimize the possibilities while keeping things simple, e.g., on-board graphics, case with psu already installed. I don't expect to tinker much with it after it's set up, though I did add a second HDD and additional memory to the Dell when it was necessary.

Thanks. Fire at will.

JMer806

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
That system looks fine to me, but keep in mind that an OEM version of Windows 7 will run you around $100.

Probably I'd go with 8 GB of RAM - it's overkill on that system, but RAM is cheap and if you get 8 GB now you can just get the 64-bit version of Windows and not worry about having to change your OS in the future if you decide to upgrade it. The 8 GB Corsair Vengeance kit will run you around $50 - http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=61961&vpn=CML8GX3M2A1600C9&manufacture=Corsair

Oh and why the microATX board instead of a larger one? You're limiting your future upgrade options considerably, and you're already buying a mid-tower case.

Jack15911

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012
...why the microATX board instead of a larger one?
All I could find was mini-ATX with on-board graphics. I'm willing to consider alternatives, though if they're available on an ATX, though I want to stay with AM3+, as it seems to me to be the AMD future. If I'm wrong, tell me so - I'm barely an amateur at this.

Max budget? Can't say that I have one. If we find something that looks like I need to have, I'll buy it, but I'd have to really want it. (The $400 was hardware only, plus the Win7 OS.) I kind of want to get this bought before Win8 comes out, as I have no desire for a secure boot box that would even slightly prevent my Windows/Linux dual-boot.

For instance, I picked on-board graphics because my needs are small and the whole thing stays cooler, or so I think; again, tell me if I'm wrong. Something bigger with a graphics card? Sure, why not, as long as it's good value and doesn't make me add a bigger psu? I'm a first time builder, though, so I'd like to minimize complications on my first build.

First build is practice, and I may end up giving it away to relatives in favor of a more impressive build later to keep. Or I may keep it... Really, let me know if I need to rethink these things - I researched things as best as I understand, but that's no substitute for experience in the field.