Sign in with
Your question

Looking for input on an i5 build

Last response: in Systems
August 14, 2012 1:28:32 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: This month

Budget Range: up to $700 Cdn

System Usage from Most to Least Important: mainly surfing but do some photo editing

Are you buying a monitor: No will continue to use my Dell 2209WA ultrasharp

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: ncix.ca -would also have them build it

After reading, posting questions I have decided to go with an i53570K and have assembled a build with parts for this as follows

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/ekhp
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/ekhp/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/ekhp/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Memory Express)
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G45 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($110.79 @ DirectCanada)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($41.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($87.98 @ NCIX)
Case: Antec Three Hundred Two ATX Mid Tower Case ($56.03 @ DirectCanada)
Power Supply: Antec 550W ATX12V Power Supply ($63.48 @ DirectCanada)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer ($17.69 @ DirectCanada)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($98.99 @ Computer Valley)
Total: $706.94
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-13 21:09 EDT-0400)

Wonder if anyone can take a look and see if I could save some money by substituting different parts to go with the 3570 need them partspicker.ca to price match with NCIX.

I picked the case because it has 2 USB 3.0 on front but that the PSU and MOBO may be able to substituted to save some money. MOBO would like that to allow future upgrades if needed and the combo I picked because NCIX bundled it at a good price.

Also some comments on what I have put together ie: any parts that are not recommended?

More about : input build

August 14, 2012 1:40:53 AM

I'd get a Corsair or Seasonic PSU over an Antec one, but other than that I don't really see any easy substitutions. Your MOBO is already a good price, so I wouldn't worry about that. And that case is about as cheap as you can go and still get USB 3.0 hubs on the front. You could go a little cheaper with a HAF 912 and just use the USB 3.0 hubs on the rear, though.
August 14, 2012 2:03:10 AM

JMer806 said:
I'd get a Corsair or Seasonic PSU over an Antec one, but other than that I don't really see any easy substitutions. Your MOBO is already a good price, so I wouldn't worry about that. And that case is about as cheap as you can go and still get USB 3.0 hubs on the front. You could go a little cheaper with a HAF 912 and just use the USB 3.0 hubs on the rear, though.

So what PSU would you put in that is in the $60 and under price I see a Cosair G600 at about $60.00, I doubt that I need 600 watt PSU but the savings on something lower are small.
August 14, 2012 2:06:18 AM

Well the 50W won't really make much difference one way or the other, but if the price difference is small then why not get the one with higher wattage?

Honestly though at that price point most of the PSUs are going to be lower-end. You get what you pay for to some extent. If you have time, you might wait and see if a shell-shocker on a higher-series Corsair PSU pops up. If not, the Antec or the Corsair you mentioned would be fine, I'm sure.
!