Mage Advice

Hi all,

I have started to get to grips with my new mage character (lvl24) and
have a couple of questions.

Firstly.

I have put all my talent points so far into the fire tree and have the
Pyroblast spell.

Through use of it I have found that this spell can only really be used
effectivly when soloing.

In a PVP fight you would be dead before the 6 second cast takes place,
and when fighting in groups your target
is most likely dead before you cast the spell.

Even when soloing its only really any use as an opening attack before
the mob knows you are there
because of the casting time & cooldown time.

This is fine, but I am getting really frustrated with mobs that wander
out of range 5 seconds into casting,
and the reverse where mobs wander into your aggro range before the
spell casts.

Has anybody got any tips on how to best use this spell?

My second question is.

Mana shield lasts for 1 minute, but will absorb 120 points of damage.

I am struggling to see when the 120 points of damage have been used up
as the timer still appears to be counting down.

Is there a more effective way to see if you need to re-cast without
waiting before you start taking damage?

Lastly,

As stated I have picked the fire tree but am not sure about the other 2
trees and which one is better

I cant afford re-speccing, so any adivce would be most appreciated.

Cheers,

Chizel wrote:
> Through use of it I have found that this spell [pyroblast] can only really be used
> effectivly when soloing.

I agree.

> Even when soloing its only really any use as an opening attack before
> the mob knows you are there
> because of the casting time & cooldown time.
>
> This is fine, but I am getting really frustrated with mobs that wander
> out of range 5 seconds into casting,
> and the reverse where mobs wander into your aggro range before the
> spell casts.
>
> Has anybody got any tips on how to best use this spell?

I've got a 34 mage currently grinding in Thousand Needles. I'm
experimenting with an Arcane/Fire build, but I put all of my initial
points into Fire (Pyroblast among them), and have just recently started
building my arcane tree.

After much experimentation (with the caveat that I've done very little
PvP with this mage), I've decided that there are only two practical
uses for Pyroblast:

1. As an opening shot with very slow or stationary mobs. You have
already observed this. (Also it's not that much more powerful than my
regular fireballs right now, so I rarely use it for this purpose
anyway.)
2. As vengeance for when you're dealing with a mob and another one
(usually a bird) sneaks up behind you and starts nibbling at your neck.

Here's how the second case works. While engaging mob A, mob B attacks
you from behind. You polymorph mob B and finish off mob A. Then you
immediately run a safe distance and start casting Pyroblast on poor ol'
mob B. The mob usually unsheeps just long enough to see the flaming
boulder that's about to smack him in the face. It's quite satisfying.

> My second question is.
>
> Mana shield lasts for 1 minute, but will absorb 120 points of damage.
>
> I am struggling to see when the 120 points of damage have been used up
> as the timer still appears to be counting down.
>
> Is there a more effective way to see if you need to re-cast without
> waiting before you start taking damage?

A good question, and there doesn't seem to be a way... I don't know of
any mods that do this either. (Also, doesn't the shield just wear off
after the damage is absorbed? I don't remember...) I don't see much
use for mana shield except in very dire situations when you need to get
away fast (in combination with blink)... I wouldn't use it when going
into battle- only when trying to get away. If you invest in the arcane
tree you can eventually decrease the amount of mana per damage drained,
but it still only serves as an escape hatch- not a combat buff- in my
opinion.

> As stated I have picked the fire tree but am not sure about the other 2
> trees and which one is better
>
> I cant afford re-speccing, so any adivce would be most appreciated.

At the early levels very many mages invest points in fire, so you don't
necessarily have to respec regardless of your ultimate build. I've
chosen Arcane/Fire (front-loading the fire, as mentioned) because I've
heard it's best suited to PvP... and I want to get some Battlegrounds
in once I get to 40.

Here are my currently invested points so far, at level 34:

Fire Talents (20 points)
# Improved Fireball - 5/5 points
# Impact - 5/5 points
# Ignite - 5/5 points
# Flame Throwing - 2/2 points
# Pyroblast - 1/1 points
# Incinerate - 2/2 points

Arcane Talents (5 points)
# Improved Arcane Missiles - 5/5 points

Guess I'm against the rest.
I'm lvl 32 mage and so far... all my points are in frost... and I don't
PvP!
I just wanted to be a frost mage, and so far, I can kill stuff just
fine, and I'm nearly unkillable (again, only PvE, don't know about PvP)

i am very interested in your ideas
i am about to hit 60 and been respecing on a almost daily basis.

> also you can build a combo with fire arcane builds for mega burst
> damage with POM + CM +pyro

Too bad we only have 51 talents. The above is impossible.

well I don't use arcane missiles that much lately, with all the
upgrades to frost damage and frost bolts I find it better to just spam
the frost bolt (with the nice super crits and fast casting)

Hi, Original poster here.

Thx to all for good advice.

Two things.

Firstly "Synapse Void" Please post your build ideas would be very
handy.

Secondly. Since original post I can afford to do 2 re-specs. As I am
only lvl24 can anyone give me the best build I should go for with the
few points I have. As my original post suggests I am a bit dissapointed
by pyroblast, and it was this that made me go fire route in first
place!

Frost sounds fun, but so did fire when i started it, and I am unsure of
the benefits of Arcane, still a bit of a mystery to me.

All help most welcome

Cheers.
Got my main to

mikel

Chizel wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have started to get to grips with my new mage character (lvl24) and
> have a couple of questions.
>
> Firstly.
>
> I have put all my talent points so far into the fire tree and have the
> Pyroblast spell.
>
> Through use of it I have found that this spell can only really be used
> effectivly when soloing.
>
> In a PVP fight you would be dead before the 6 second cast takes place,
> and when fighting in groups your target
> is most likely dead before you cast the spell.
>
> Even when soloing its only really any use as an opening attack before
> the mob knows you are there
> because of the casting time & cooldown time.
>
> This is fine, but I am getting really frustrated with mobs that wander
> out of range 5 seconds into casting,
> and the reverse where mobs wander into your aggro range before the
> spell casts.
>
> Has anybody got any tips on how to best use this spell?
>
> My second question is.
>
> Mana shield lasts for 1 minute, but will absorb 120 points of damage.
>
> I am struggling to see when the 120 points of damage have been used up
> as the timer still appears to be counting down.
>
> Is there a more effective way to see if you need to re-cast without
> waiting before you start taking damage?
>
> Lastly,
>
> As stated I have picked the fire tree but am not sure about the other 2
> trees and which one is better
>
> I cant afford re-speccing, so any adivce would be most appreciated.

So you know where I'm coming from:

I have a level 60 mage, who has been level 60 since February. I have a
level 41 mage on a PVP server. I have two other lower-level mages.

I spent a couple of months raising money and respeccing the level 60 to
try different combinations of talents in high-level instances, in
farming elite mobs in the Plaguelands, Burning Steppes, and so on, and
in PVP. I read comments and analysis from various experienced mage players.

So of course I can still be wrong, and of course there are better
players than me, but at least I have spent some time messing with these
issues.

First, about mana shield: I use it in an emergency to diminish the
damage I'm going to take a little, but basically, if I think I need it,
I have already screwed up. So basically, I just try to avoid situations
where I think I will need it.

One exception is that I have used it when walking around flagged in the
presence of enemy rogues that I know are out to get me. This has a
number of times kept me alive long enough to Frost Nova and blink away
from a rogue who attacked me from stealth.

On the subject of talent, my personal opinion is that the two best
builds for a mage are 31/20 Arcane/Fire, and 51 Frost. I've tried
various other combinations, and some of the 30/21 Arcane/Fire builds
looked pretty good, but these are the ones I think are most effective in
practice, at least the way I play. The Arcane/Fire build gives you very
impressive damage for very fast kills, and really good effectiveness
against spellcasters. It's also excellent in PVP. The all-Frost build
gives you superior ability to control and defeat melee classes, and
really awesome AOE and mob control for groups and instances.

Someone else suggested a Frost/Arcane build; I tried various forms of
that, but was not impressed. I did not see gains from the Arcane tree
that offset some of the damage and other benefits I lost by giving up
the full-Frost build. And I definitely did lose some on the ability to
control and beat high-level melee mobs.

The best things in the Arcane tree take a lot of points: Arcane Power
(which is--literally--a killer talent) requires 31 (including the 1
point to get AP itself); Presence of Mind, which is nearly as good,
requires 21. The second-string talents that are good are Improved Arcane
Explosion (which is only really good with 5 points in it) and Evocation.
Both of these are really cool and useful, though they are nice-to-have,
rather than crucial. Nothing else in the Arcane tree is as good as these
four, though there are other things that are appealing. But the reason
to put 31 points in Arcane is to get these four. With a small number of
points in Arcane (Synapse suggested 18) the talents I can get in that
tree don't interest me as much as what I would have to give up in Frost
to get it, which is why, if I go Frost, I go all Frost. That being the
case, I'm of course interested to see Synapse's 33/18 Frost/Arcane build.

However, when you are building a Fire mage, I think it's totally
worthwhile to get those four Arcane talents, particularly because Arcane
Power and Presence of Mind so dramatically increase the damage you can
bring to bear in the first few seconds of a fight.

Which brings me to how to use Pyroblast. Pyroblast, as you observe, has
a long cast. Therefore you normally need to be in a controlled situation
to use it. This might mean you can set up your opening shot before the
enemy sees you. It might mean that you can sheep the enemy before
starting to cast Pyroblast. It might mean that you have Presence of Mind
from the Arcane tree, and can cast Pyroblast instantly. These are all
good tactics that work in suitable circumstances. If you can create one
of these situations (and very often you can) then Pyroblast serves as a
very mana-efficient way to dump a big load of damage on the enemy in the
first seconds of the fight.

Pyroblast is particularly useful in PVP when combined with sheep and
Presence of Mind. If you don't have time to sheep a PVP opponent safely,
POM+sheep gives you instant sheep. Then you have time to warm up a
Pyroblast. Of course if need be you can also just POM+Pyroblast. And if
you are going into the Arcane tree at all, I would suggest going all the
way to Arcane Power so you can make that initial burst of damage even
bigger. You'll have to give up Blast Wave, but I think it's worth it.

>i am very interested in your ideas
> i am about to hit 60 and been respecing on a almost daily basis.

Alrighty then.....

Arcane/Fire PVP Build (my current build at the moment):
-Arcane-
5/5 Improved Arcane Missles
5/5 Arcane Concentration
5/5 Improved Arcane Explosion
1/1 Evocation
2/2 Improved Counterspell
1/1 Presence of Mind
4/5 Arcane Meditation
4/4 Arcane Mind
3/3 Arcane Instability
1/1 Arcane Power
-Fire_
5/5 Improved Fireball
5/5 Impact
5/5 Ignite
2/2 Incinerate
1/1 Pyroblast
2/3 Burning Soul
-Notes-
A typical PVP encounter with 1 person usually goes like this:
Polymorph
Arcane Power
Fireball
PoM + Pyroblast
Fire Blast
Frost Nova and get some distance
Fireball
Scorch
Fire Blast
repeat Scorch & Fire Blast while moving around until they're dead.
Very important.....always interrupt what your casting (either a macro or
quick backstep with the 'S' key) if they start healing so you can
immediately counterspell them. If you fail to properly counterspell
paladins or shaman you will most likely lose. If you get good at
counterspelling you will most likely win.
Also, remember to blink out of stuns and mouse spin back around to them as
quickly as possibly so as not to lose casting time.

Frost/Arcane PVP build
-Frost-
5/5 Improved Frostbolt
5/5 Ice Shards
2/2 Improved Frost Nova
3/3 Piercing Ice
1/1 Cold Snap
2/2 Arctic Reach
5/5 Shatter
1/1 Ice Block
3/3 Improved Cone of Cold
5/5 Frostbite
1/1 Ice Barrier
-Arcane-
5/5 Improved Arcane Missles
5/5 Arcane Concentration
5/5 Improved Arcane Explosion
1/1 Evocation
2/2 Improved Counterspell
-Notes-
A typical PVP encounter with 1 person usually goes like this:
Polymorph
Frostbolt
Frostbolt
Fire Blast
Frost Nova and get a tiny bit of distance (not out of CoC reach though)
Frostbolt AND CoC while the Frostbolt is still flying at them for a double
crit while they're frozen (Shatter bonus)
Ice Barrier
Fire Blast
Frostbolt
Cold Snap
Frost Nova
Frostbolt/CoC combo again while they're frozen
In addition to the Blink & Counterspell recommendations in the Arcane/Fire
PVP notes, remember to Ice Block out of any immobilizing effects as well.

Arcane/Fire and Frost/Arcane notes for 1 vs. 2 pvp:
Same as above, just keep 1 opponent polymorped at all times.

Frost/Arcane notes for 3 vs. 1 pvp:
Center yourself in the middle of the 3 opponents
Frost Nova
Polymorph opponent who resisted nova, or if none of them resisted polymorph
toughest opponent.
Move in a line with the other 2
Cone of Cold (careful not to hit sheep)
Arcane Explosion
Fireblast nearest opponent and make sure he/she stays targeted
Ice Barrier
Frostbolt
Cold Snap
Frost Nova
CoC (in line again to make sure 2nd opponent gets hit)
Arcane Explosion
If 1st player isn't dead at this point use quick scorches to finish them
Target 2nd player (repoly 3rd player if poly was broke)
Fireblast
Frostbolt & get a lot of distance while they are chilled
Keep running & frostbolting until #2 is dead
Evocation
Bandage
Reapeat 1 vs. 1 tactics for last opponent
(of course 3 vs. 1 is very hard to actually pull off but it can be done if
the group you're fighting doesn't have too much pvp experience or great
gear).

Frost/Arcane Instance/AoE Farming build:
-Frost-
5/5 Permafrost
3/3 Winter's Chill
2/2 Improved Frost Nova
3/3 Piercing Ice
1/1 Cold Snap
3/3 Improved Blizzard
2/2 Arctic Reach
3/3 Frost Channeling
1/5 Shatter (just because there's nowhere else to dump it)
1/1 Ice Block
3/3 Improved Cone of Cold
5/5 Frostbite
1/1 Ice Barrier
-Arcane-
5/5 Improved Arcane Missles
5/5 Arcane Concentration
5/5 Improved Arcane Explosion
1/1 Evocation
2/2 Improved Counterspell
-Farming Notes-
Ice Barrier
Mount up
Run around attracting 5-10 mobs that are at least 3 or 4 levels lower than
you.
Dismount
Frost Nova
Get max distance away but still close enough so back of Blizzard radius
still touches farthest mob
Blizzard
Blizzard
Cold Snap
Frost Nova & get distance again
Blizzard
Blizzard
Arcane Explosion mobs that aren't already dead
Remember the key to this build is long duration chill effect and high
NON-CRITICAL cold damage (since Blizzard doesn't crit). So the talents are
more geared towards slowing the enemy and improving crit damage is ignored.

-Instance Notes-
Ugh....too much to mention here....and this post is too long already. Maybe
later.

mikel

SyiadofZuljin wrote:
> I agree with Synapse about the 33 cold/18 arcane being one of the
> best. I am also a 60mage.... Frost is just the way to be in the end
> but.... Fire has the Highest dmg output period (uses a bit more mana
> too), you'll lvl faster with Fire crits and dmg. Its mostly trial and
> error plus most builds are personal.. Just depends on what you like.

I'd like to see some more discussion from you and Synapse about what you
gain from those 18 points in Arcane (and where you put them). As I've
said, I tried builds like that and wasn't impressed; I preferred 51
points in Frost.

I also don't agree that Frost is *the* way to be at 60; I would say it's
one of two very good ways to be. My 60 mage was Frost for a long time
and it was terrific, but then, jost for a change after a few months, I
switched to 31/20 Arcane/Fire, and that's terrific, too. They are, of
course, different; they have different strengths.

Hi there, great thread by the way as I'm trying to play a mage for a while
and got to L24 last night. I wanted to be an Arcanist but seen that at early
levels Fire is more effective. And Arcane is more like a support role in
group to me (please prove me wrong :))
I read the posts in this thread and seen great talent setups, but all the
setups have Arcane as secondary talents. Is there a good build with Arcane
as the primary and can be used in Solo/PVE also?

TIA

--

"Know who you are, Be what you know"
--LordSpike

LordSpike wrote:
> Hi there, great thread by the way as I'm trying to play a mage for a while
> and got to L24 last night. I wanted to be an Arcanist but seen that at early
> levels Fire is more effective. And Arcane is more like a support role in
> group to me (please prove me wrong :))
> I read the posts in this thread and seen great talent setups, but all the
> setups have Arcane as secondary talents. Is there a good build with Arcane
> as the primary and can be used in Solo/PVE also?

Well, I recommend 31/20 Arcane Fire if you want to maximize damage. In
one sense you could say that Arcane is primary, because you have 31
points in it, and you take the final-tier Arcane talent, Arcane Power.

On the other hand, you could also think of it as being a Fire build,
because it's organized around making your Fire spells as damaging as
possible. Which in itself should answer your question, after a fashion.

My level 60 mage, Gyrus, was an all-Arcane mage for a long time before I
rebuilt him as all-Frost. I played him that way for the simple reason
that none of the high-level mages I knew were primarily Arcane, and I
wanted to check it out. Having played an Arcane mage for many levels
through all the major instances except the highes-end ones, I'd say that
it functions fine, but there is nothing I can think of to particularly
recommend it. I think both Arcane/Fire and all-Frost are better builds.

Thanks for the reply. Is there a web site that I can find that 31/20
Arcane/Fire build? Or can someone write it here? :))

TIA

--

LordSpike wrote:
> Thanks for the reply. Is there a web site that I can find that 31/20
> Arcane/Fire build? Or can someone write it here? :))

You can find it by Googling, but for convenience, here is the one Gyrus
is currently using:

Arcane: 31 points

Arcane Focus 4/5
Improved Arcane Missiles 5/5
Arcane Concentration 5/5
* Improved Arcane Explosion 5/5
* Evocation 1/1
* Improved Counterspell 2/2
Arcane Mind 4/4
** Presence of Mind 1/1
Arcane Instability 3/3
** Arcane Power 1/1

Fire: 20 points

Improved Fireball 5/5
Impact 5/5
Ignite 5/5
Flame Throwing 2/2
Incinerate 2/2
Pyroblast 1/1

Frost: 0 points

I marked the especially nice Arcane talents with a "*", and the ones
that I think are critical I marked with "**".

When I started a new mage on a PVP server I started building this build,
but I did all the Fire stuff first, because it is what provides the
up-front damage. Then, after I had 20 points in Fire, I started building
the Arcane stuff. However, I don't think the way I did it is the smart
way to do it, because the first 14 points or so in Arcane don't really
buy you much. I think it would be smarter to go ahead and put those
points into Fire (or even Frost) until you have enough points that you
can keep the Fire build and reallocate points to get the good stuff in
Arcane.

Thank you :)

--

> LordSpike wrote:
> > Thanks for the reply. Is there a web site that I can find that 31/20
> > Arcane/Fire build? Or can someone write it here? :))
>
> You can find it by Googling, but for convenience, here is the one Gyrus
> is currently using:
>

> Arcane: 31 points
>
> Arcane Focus 4/5
> Improved Arcane Missiles 5/5
> Arcane Concentration 5/5
> * Improved Arcane Explosion 5/5
> * Evocation 1/1
> * Improved Counterspell 2/2
> Arcane Mind 4/4
> ** Presence of Mind 1/1
> Arcane Instability 3/3
> ** Arcane Power 1/1
>
> Fire: 20 points
>
> Improved Fireball 5/5
> Impact 5/5
> Ignite 5/5
> Flame Throwing 2/2
> Incinerate 2/2
> Pyroblast 1/1
>
> Frost: 0 points
>

> I marked the especially nice Arcane talents with a "*", and the ones
> that I think are critical I marked with "**".
>
> When I started a new mage on a PVP server I started building this build,
> but I did all the Fire stuff first, because it is what provides the
> up-front damage. Then, after I had 20 points in Fire, I started building
> the Arcane stuff. However, I don't think the way I did it is the smart
> way to do it, because the first 14 points or so in Arcane don't really
> buy you much. I think it would be smarter to go ahead and put those
> points into Fire (or even Frost) until you have enough points that you
> can keep the Fire build and reallocate points to get the good stuff in
> Arcane.

> Firstly "Synapse Void" Please post your build ideas would be very
> handy.

See response above to Optional's post

> Please do list em... even if the OP doesnt want it... I, as well as a
> few lurkers would like to see.
>
> thanks.

See reply to Optional's post above....