Mage Advice

Hi all,

I have started to get to grips with my new mage character (lvl24) and
have a couple of questions.

Firstly.

I have put all my talent points so far into the fire tree and have the
Pyroblast spell.

Through use of it I have found that this spell can only really be used
effectivly when soloing.

In a PVP fight you would be dead before the 6 second cast takes place,
and when fighting in groups your target
is most likely dead before you cast the spell.

Even when soloing its only really any use as an opening attack before
the mob knows you are there
because of the casting time & cooldown time.

This is fine, but I am getting really frustrated with mobs that wander
out of range 5 seconds into casting,
and the reverse where mobs wander into your aggro range before the
spell casts.

Has anybody got any tips on how to best use this spell?

My second question is.

Mana shield lasts for 1 minute, but will absorb 120 points of damage.

I am struggling to see when the 120 points of damage have been used up
as the timer still appears to be counting down.

Is there a more effective way to see if you need to re-cast without
waiting before you start taking damage?

Lastly,

As stated I have picked the fire tree but am not sure about the other 2
trees and which one is better

I cant afford re-speccing, so any adivce would be most appreciated.

Cheers,
17 answers Last reply
More about mage advice

    Chizel wrote:
    > Through use of it I have found that this spell [pyroblast] can only really be used
    > effectivly when soloing.

    I agree.

    > Even when soloing its only really any use as an opening attack before
    > the mob knows you are there
    > because of the casting time & cooldown time.
    >
    > This is fine, but I am getting really frustrated with mobs that wander
    > out of range 5 seconds into casting,
    > and the reverse where mobs wander into your aggro range before the
    > spell casts.
    >
    > Has anybody got any tips on how to best use this spell?

    I've got a 34 mage currently grinding in Thousand Needles. I'm
    experimenting with an Arcane/Fire build, but I put all of my initial
    points into Fire (Pyroblast among them), and have just recently started
    building my arcane tree.

    After much experimentation (with the caveat that I've done very little
    PvP with this mage), I've decided that there are only two practical
    uses for Pyroblast:

    1. As an opening shot with very slow or stationary mobs. You have
    already observed this. (Also it's not that much more powerful than my
    regular fireballs right now, so I rarely use it for this purpose
    anyway.)
    2. As vengeance for when you're dealing with a mob and another one
    (usually a bird) sneaks up behind you and starts nibbling at your neck.

    Here's how the second case works. While engaging mob A, mob B attacks
    you from behind. You polymorph mob B and finish off mob A. Then you
    immediately run a safe distance and start casting Pyroblast on poor ol'
    mob B. The mob usually unsheeps just long enough to see the flaming
    boulder that's about to smack him in the face. It's quite satisfying.

    > My second question is.
    >
    > Mana shield lasts for 1 minute, but will absorb 120 points of damage.
    >
    > I am struggling to see when the 120 points of damage have been used up
    > as the timer still appears to be counting down.
    >
    > Is there a more effective way to see if you need to re-cast without
    > waiting before you start taking damage?

    A good question, and there doesn't seem to be a way... I don't know of
    any mods that do this either. (Also, doesn't the shield just wear off
    after the damage is absorbed? I don't remember...) I don't see much
    use for mana shield except in very dire situations when you need to get
    away fast (in combination with blink)... I wouldn't use it when going
    into battle- only when trying to get away. If you invest in the arcane
    tree you can eventually decrease the amount of mana per damage drained,
    but it still only serves as an escape hatch- not a combat buff- in my
    opinion.

    > As stated I have picked the fire tree but am not sure about the other 2
    > trees and which one is better
    >
    > I cant afford re-speccing, so any adivce would be most appreciated.

    At the early levels very many mages invest points in fire, so you don't
    necessarily have to respec regardless of your ultimate build. I've
    chosen Arcane/Fire (front-loading the fire, as mentioned) because I've
    heard it's best suited to PvP... and I want to get some Battlegrounds
    in once I get to 40.

    Here are my currently invested points so far, at level 34:

    Fire Talents (20 points)
    # Improved Fireball - 5/5 points
    # Impact - 5/5 points
    # Ignite - 5/5 points
    # Flame Throwing - 2/2 points
    # Pyroblast - 1/1 points
    # Incinerate - 2/2 points

    Arcane Talents (5 points)
    # Improved Arcane Missiles - 5/5 points

    Guess I'm against the rest.
    I'm lvl 32 mage and so far... all my points are in frost... and I don't
    PvP!
    I just wanted to be a frost mage, and so far, I can kill stuff just
    fine, and I'm nearly unkillable (again, only PvE, don't know about PvP)

    not cm i am sorry.
    AP+POM+pyro
    my bad

    i am very interested in your ideas
    i am about to hit 60 and been respecing on a almost daily basis.

    > also you can build a combo with fire arcane builds for mega burst
    > damage with POM + CM +pyro

    Too bad we only have 51 talents. The above is impossible.

    well I don't use arcane missiles that much lately, with all the
    upgrades to frost damage and frost bolts I find it better to just spam
    the frost bolt (with the nice super crits and fast casting)

    Hi, Original poster here.

    Thx to all for good advice.

    Two things.

    Firstly "Synapse Void" Please post your build ideas would be very
    handy.

    Secondly. Since original post I can afford to do 2 re-specs. As I am
    only lvl24 can anyone give me the best build I should go for with the
    few points I have. As my original post suggests I am a bit dissapointed
    by pyroblast, and it was this that made me go fire route in first
    place!

    Frost sounds fun, but so did fire when i started it, and I am unsure of
    the benefits of Arcane, still a bit of a mystery to me.

    All help most welcome

    Cheers.
    Got my main to

    Chizel wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have started to get to grips with my new mage character (lvl24) and
    > have a couple of questions.
    >
    > Firstly.
    >
    > I have put all my talent points so far into the fire tree and have the
    > Pyroblast spell.
    >
    > Through use of it I have found that this spell can only really be used
    > effectivly when soloing.
    >
    > In a PVP fight you would be dead before the 6 second cast takes place,
    > and when fighting in groups your target
    > is most likely dead before you cast the spell.
    >
    > Even when soloing its only really any use as an opening attack before
    > the mob knows you are there
    > because of the casting time & cooldown time.
    >
    > This is fine, but I am getting really frustrated with mobs that wander
    > out of range 5 seconds into casting,
    > and the reverse where mobs wander into your aggro range before the
    > spell casts.
    >
    > Has anybody got any tips on how to best use this spell?
    >
    > My second question is.
    >
    > Mana shield lasts for 1 minute, but will absorb 120 points of damage.
    >
    > I am struggling to see when the 120 points of damage have been used up
    > as the timer still appears to be counting down.
    >
    > Is there a more effective way to see if you need to re-cast without
    > waiting before you start taking damage?
    >
    > Lastly,
    >
    > As stated I have picked the fire tree but am not sure about the other 2
    > trees and which one is better
    >
    > I cant afford re-speccing, so any adivce would be most appreciated.

    So you know where I'm coming from:

    I have a level 60 mage, who has been level 60 since February. I have a
    level 41 mage on a PVP server. I have two other lower-level mages.

    I spent a couple of months raising money and respeccing the level 60 to
    try different combinations of talents in high-level instances, in
    farming elite mobs in the Plaguelands, Burning Steppes, and so on, and
    in PVP. I read comments and analysis from various experienced mage players.

    So of course I can still be wrong, and of course there are better
    players than me, but at least I have spent some time messing with these
    issues.

    First, about mana shield: I use it in an emergency to diminish the
    damage I'm going to take a little, but basically, if I think I need it,
    I have already screwed up. So basically, I just try to avoid situations
    where I think I will need it.

    One exception is that I have used it when walking around flagged in the
    presence of enemy rogues that I know are out to get me. This has a
    number of times kept me alive long enough to Frost Nova and blink away
    from a rogue who attacked me from stealth.

    On the subject of talent, my personal opinion is that the two best
    builds for a mage are 31/20 Arcane/Fire, and 51 Frost. I've tried
    various other combinations, and some of the 30/21 Arcane/Fire builds
    looked pretty good, but these are the ones I think are most effective in
    practice, at least the way I play. The Arcane/Fire build gives you very
    impressive damage for very fast kills, and really good effectiveness
    against spellcasters. It's also excellent in PVP. The all-Frost build
    gives you superior ability to control and defeat melee classes, and
    really awesome AOE and mob control for groups and instances.

    Someone else suggested a Frost/Arcane build; I tried various forms of
    that, but was not impressed. I did not see gains from the Arcane tree
    that offset some of the damage and other benefits I lost by giving up
    the full-Frost build. And I definitely did lose some on the ability to
    control and beat high-level melee mobs.

    The best things in the Arcane tree take a lot of points: Arcane Power
    (which is--literally--a killer talent) requires 31 (including the 1
    point to get AP itself); Presence of Mind, which is nearly as good,
    requires 21. The second-string talents that are good are Improved Arcane
    Explosion (which is only really good with 5 points in it) and Evocation.
    Both of these are really cool and useful, though they are nice-to-have,
    rather than crucial. Nothing else in the Arcane tree is as good as these
    four, though there are other things that are appealing. But the reason
    to put 31 points in Arcane is to get these four. With a small number of
    points in Arcane (Synapse suggested 18) the talents I can get in that
    tree don't interest me as much as what I would have to give up in Frost
    to get it, which is why, if I go Frost, I go all Frost. That being the
    case, I'm of course interested to see Synapse's 33/18 Frost/Arcane build.

    However, when you are building a Fire mage, I think it's totally
    worthwhile to get those four Arcane talents, particularly because Arcane
    Power and Presence of Mind so dramatically increase the damage you can
    bring to bear in the first few seconds of a fight.

    Which brings me to how to use Pyroblast. Pyroblast, as you observe, has
    a long cast. Therefore you normally need to be in a controlled situation
    to use it. This might mean you can set up your opening shot before the
    enemy sees you. It might mean that you can sheep the enemy before
    starting to cast Pyroblast. It might mean that you have Presence of Mind
    from the Arcane tree, and can cast Pyroblast instantly. These are all
    good tactics that work in suitable circumstances. If you can create one
    of these situations (and very often you can) then Pyroblast serves as a
    very mana-efficient way to dump a big load of damage on the enemy in the
    first seconds of the fight.

    Pyroblast is particularly useful in PVP when combined with sheep and
    Presence of Mind. If you don't have time to sheep a PVP opponent safely,
    POM+sheep gives you instant sheep. Then you have time to warm up a
    Pyroblast. Of course if need be you can also just POM+Pyroblast. And if
    you are going into the Arcane tree at all, I would suggest going all the
    way to Arcane Power so you can make that initial burst of damage even
    bigger. You'll have to give up Blast Wave, but I think it's worth it.

    >i am very interested in your ideas
    > i am about to hit 60 and been respecing on a almost daily basis.

    Alrighty then.....

    Arcane/Fire PVP Build (my current build at the moment):
    -Arcane-
    5/5 Improved Arcane Missles
    5/5 Arcane Concentration
    5/5 Improved Arcane Explosion
    1/1 Evocation
    2/2 Improved Counterspell
    1/1 Presence of Mind
    4/5 Arcane Meditation
    4/4 Arcane Mind
    3/3 Arcane Instability
    1/1 Arcane Power
    -Fire_
    5/5 Improved Fireball
    5/5 Impact
    5/5 Ignite
    2/2 Incinerate
    1/1 Pyroblast
    2/3 Burning Soul
    -Notes-
    A typical PVP encounter with 1 person usually goes like this:
    Polymorph
    Arcane Power
    Fireball
    PoM + Pyroblast
    Fire Blast
    Frost Nova and get some distance
    Fireball
    Scorch
    Fire Blast
    repeat Scorch & Fire Blast while moving around until they're dead.
    Very important.....always interrupt what your casting (either a macro or
    quick backstep with the 'S' key) if they start healing so you can
    immediately counterspell them. If you fail to properly counterspell
    paladins or shaman you will most likely lose. If you get good at
    counterspelling you will most likely win.
    Also, remember to blink out of stuns and mouse spin back around to them as
    quickly as possibly so as not to lose casting time.

    Frost/Arcane PVP build
    -Frost-
    5/5 Improved Frostbolt
    5/5 Ice Shards
    2/2 Improved Frost Nova
    3/3 Piercing Ice
    1/1 Cold Snap
    2/2 Arctic Reach
    5/5 Shatter
    1/1 Ice Block
    3/3 Improved Cone of Cold
    5/5 Frostbite
    1/1 Ice Barrier
    -Arcane-
    5/5 Improved Arcane Missles
    5/5 Arcane Concentration
    5/5 Improved Arcane Explosion
    1/1 Evocation
    2/2 Improved Counterspell
    -Notes-
    A typical PVP encounter with 1 person usually goes like this:
    Polymorph
    Frostbolt
    Frostbolt
    Fire Blast
    Frost Nova and get a tiny bit of distance (not out of CoC reach though)
    Frostbolt AND CoC while the Frostbolt is still flying at them for a double
    crit while they're frozen (Shatter bonus)
    Ice Barrier
    Fire Blast
    Frostbolt
    Cold Snap
    Frost Nova
    Frostbolt/CoC combo again while they're frozen
    In addition to the Blink & Counterspell recommendations in the Arcane/Fire
    PVP notes, remember to Ice Block out of any immobilizing effects as well.

    Arcane/Fire and Frost/Arcane notes for 1 vs. 2 pvp:
    Same as above, just keep 1 opponent polymorped at all times.

    Frost/Arcane notes for 3 vs. 1 pvp:
    Center yourself in the middle of the 3 opponents
    Frost Nova
    Polymorph opponent who resisted nova, or if none of them resisted polymorph
    toughest opponent.
    Move in a line with the other 2
    Cone of Cold (careful not to hit sheep)
    Arcane Explosion
    Fireblast nearest opponent and make sure he/she stays targeted
    Ice Barrier
    Frostbolt
    Cold Snap
    Frost Nova
    CoC (in line again to make sure 2nd opponent gets hit)
    Arcane Explosion
    If 1st player isn't dead at this point use quick scorches to finish them
    Target 2nd player (repoly 3rd player if poly was broke)
    Fireblast
    Frostbolt & get a lot of distance while they are chilled
    Keep running & frostbolting until #2 is dead
    Evocation
    Bandage
    Reapeat 1 vs. 1 tactics for last opponent
    (of course 3 vs. 1 is very hard to actually pull off but it can be done if
    the group you're fighting doesn't have too much pvp experience or great
    gear).

    Frost/Arcane Instance/AoE Farming build:
    -Frost-
    5/5 Permafrost
    3/3 Winter's Chill
    2/2 Improved Frost Nova
    3/3 Piercing Ice
    1/1 Cold Snap
    3/3 Improved Blizzard
    2/2 Arctic Reach
    3/3 Frost Channeling
    1/5 Shatter (just because there's nowhere else to dump it)
    1/1 Ice Block
    3/3 Improved Cone of Cold
    5/5 Frostbite
    1/1 Ice Barrier
    -Arcane-
    5/5 Improved Arcane Missles
    5/5 Arcane Concentration
    5/5 Improved Arcane Explosion
    1/1 Evocation
    2/2 Improved Counterspell
    -Farming Notes-
    Ice Barrier
    Mount up
    Run around attracting 5-10 mobs that are at least 3 or 4 levels lower than
    you.
    Dismount
    Frost Nova
    Get max distance away but still close enough so back of Blizzard radius
    still touches farthest mob
    Blizzard
    Blizzard
    Cold Snap
    Frost Nova & get distance again
    Blizzard
    Blizzard
    Arcane Explosion mobs that aren't already dead
    Remember the key to this build is long duration chill effect and high
    NON-CRITICAL cold damage (since Blizzard doesn't crit). So the talents are
    more geared towards slowing the enemy and improving crit damage is ignored.

    -Instance Notes-
    Ugh....too much to mention here....and this post is too long already. Maybe
    later.

    SyiadofZuljin wrote:
    > I agree with Synapse about the 33 cold/18 arcane being one of the
    > best. I am also a 60mage.... Frost is just the way to be in the end
    > but.... Fire has the Highest dmg output period (uses a bit more mana
    > too), you'll lvl faster with Fire crits and dmg. Its mostly trial and
    > error plus most builds are personal.. Just depends on what you like.

    I'd like to see some more discussion from you and Synapse about what you
    gain from those 18 points in Arcane (and where you put them). As I've
    said, I tried builds like that and wasn't impressed; I preferred 51
    points in Frost.

    I also don't agree that Frost is *the* way to be at 60; I would say it's
    one of two very good ways to be. My 60 mage was Frost for a long time
    and it was terrific, but then, jost for a change after a few months, I
    switched to 31/20 Arcane/Fire, and that's terrific, too. They are, of
    course, different; they have different strengths.

    Hi there, great thread by the way as I'm trying to play a mage for a while
    and got to L24 last night. I wanted to be an Arcanist but seen that at early
    levels Fire is more effective. And Arcane is more like a support role in
    group to me (please prove me wrong :))
    I read the posts in this thread and seen great talent setups, but all the
    setups have Arcane as secondary talents. Is there a good build with Arcane
    as the primary and can be used in Solo/PVE also?

    TIA

    --

    "Know who you are, Be what you know"
    --LordSpike

    LordSpike wrote:
    > Hi there, great thread by the way as I'm trying to play a mage for a while
    > and got to L24 last night. I wanted to be an Arcanist but seen that at early
    > levels Fire is more effective. And Arcane is more like a support role in
    > group to me (please prove me wrong :))
    > I read the posts in this thread and seen great talent setups, but all the
    > setups have Arcane as secondary talents. Is there a good build with Arcane
    > as the primary and can be used in Solo/PVE also?

    Well, I recommend 31/20 Arcane Fire if you want to maximize damage. In
    one sense you could say that Arcane is primary, because you have 31
    points in it, and you take the final-tier Arcane talent, Arcane Power.

    On the other hand, you could also think of it as being a Fire build,
    because it's organized around making your Fire spells as damaging as
    possible. Which in itself should answer your question, after a fashion.

    My level 60 mage, Gyrus, was an all-Arcane mage for a long time before I
    rebuilt him as all-Frost. I played him that way for the simple reason
    that none of the high-level mages I knew were primarily Arcane, and I
    wanted to check it out. Having played an Arcane mage for many levels
    through all the major instances except the highes-end ones, I'd say that
    it functions fine, but there is nothing I can think of to particularly
    recommend it. I think both Arcane/Fire and all-Frost are better builds.

    Thanks for the reply. Is there a web site that I can find that 31/20
    Arcane/Fire build? Or can someone write it here? :))

    TIA

    --

    LordSpike wrote:
    > Thanks for the reply. Is there a web site that I can find that 31/20
    > Arcane/Fire build? Or can someone write it here? :))

    You can find it by Googling, but for convenience, here is the one Gyrus
    is currently using:

    Arcane: 31 points

    Arcane Focus 4/5
    Improved Arcane Missiles 5/5
    Arcane Concentration 5/5
    * Improved Arcane Explosion 5/5
    * Evocation 1/1
    * Improved Counterspell 2/2
    Arcane Mind 4/4
    ** Presence of Mind 1/1
    Arcane Instability 3/3
    ** Arcane Power 1/1

    Fire: 20 points

    Improved Fireball 5/5
    Impact 5/5
    Ignite 5/5
    Flame Throwing 2/2
    Incinerate 2/2
    Pyroblast 1/1

    Frost: 0 points

    I marked the especially nice Arcane talents with a "*", and the ones
    that I think are critical I marked with "**".

    When I started a new mage on a PVP server I started building this build,
    but I did all the Fire stuff first, because it is what provides the
    up-front damage. Then, after I had 20 points in Fire, I started building
    the Arcane stuff. However, I don't think the way I did it is the smart
    way to do it, because the first 14 points or so in Arcane don't really
    buy you much. I think it would be smarter to go ahead and put those
    points into Fire (or even Frost) until you have enough points that you
    can keep the Fire build and reallocate points to get the good stuff in
    Arcane.

    Thank you :)

    --

    > LordSpike wrote:
    > > Thanks for the reply. Is there a web site that I can find that 31/20
    > > Arcane/Fire build? Or can someone write it here? :))
    >
    > You can find it by Googling, but for convenience, here is the one Gyrus
    > is currently using:
    >

    > Arcane: 31 points
    >
    > Arcane Focus 4/5
    > Improved Arcane Missiles 5/5
    > Arcane Concentration 5/5
    > * Improved Arcane Explosion 5/5
    > * Evocation 1/1
    > * Improved Counterspell 2/2
    > Arcane Mind 4/4
    > ** Presence of Mind 1/1
    > Arcane Instability 3/3
    > ** Arcane Power 1/1
    >
    > Fire: 20 points
    >
    > Improved Fireball 5/5
    > Impact 5/5
    > Ignite 5/5
    > Flame Throwing 2/2
    > Incinerate 2/2
    > Pyroblast 1/1
    >
    > Frost: 0 points
    >

    > I marked the especially nice Arcane talents with a "*", and the ones
    > that I think are critical I marked with "**".
    >
    > When I started a new mage on a PVP server I started building this build,
    > but I did all the Fire stuff first, because it is what provides the
    > up-front damage. Then, after I had 20 points in Fire, I started building
    > the Arcane stuff. However, I don't think the way I did it is the smart
    > way to do it, because the first 14 points or so in Arcane don't really
    > buy you much. I think it would be smarter to go ahead and put those
    > points into Fire (or even Frost) until you have enough points that you
    > can keep the Fire build and reallocate points to get the good stuff in
    > Arcane.

    > Firstly "Synapse Void" Please post your build ideas would be very
    > handy.

    See response above to Optional's post

    > Please do list em... even if the OP doesnt want it... I, as well as a
    > few lurkers would like to see.
    >
    > thanks.

    See reply to Optional's post above....

Warcraft Video Games