Changing exif data in .pef files?

Last response: in Digital Camera
September 3, 2005 6:16:42 AM

Hi,

For some (completely unknown) reason quite a few of my Pentax RAW files have
mysteriously acquired a 'new' date - from April & May 2005 to November 2005!

I only discovered this when I tried to convert them using Silkypix - they
would open and adjust, but wouldn't save because the programme recognised
that the date was invalid.

So, I need to alter the EXIF date field (or wait until November to process
them!) and I'm having trouble finding a suitable freeware EXIF editor.

Exifer can't read the files - does anyone know of a free or cheap EXIF tool
that will enable me to alter the dates back to the correct ones?

Thanks muchly
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 1:46:46 AM

"Chimp" <Chimp@notvalid.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> For some (completely unknown) reason quite a few of my Pentax RAW files
> have mysteriously acquired a 'new' date - from April & May 2005 to
> November 2005!

<Snip>
> So, I need to alter the EXIF date field (or wait until November to process
> them!) and I'm having trouble finding a suitable freeware EXIF editor.
As a temporary workaround, change the date in your computer to November or
December to do your processing, then change it back.
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 1:46:47 AM

"Justin Thyme" <pleasedontspamme@nowhere.com> wrote in message

> "Chimp" <Chimp@notvalid.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> For some (completely unknown) reason quite a few of my Pentax RAW files
>> have mysteriously acquired a 'new' date - from April & May 2005 to
>> November 2005!
>>
> <Snip>
>> So, I need to alter the EXIF date field (or wait until November to
>> process them!) and I'm having trouble finding a suitable freeware EXIF
>> editor.
> As a temporary workaround, change the date in your computer to November or
> December to do your processing, then change it back.

Good idea, but I'm currently using the demo version of Silkypix which runs
for 14 days (from yesterday) so that will (presumably) knock it out if I
mess around with the computer date.

BTW, the 'new' date that appeared on the files is 2005-11-15:11.51 - seems
very 'binary' to me, any thoughts on how the dates got corrupted?, it didn't
affect every file, even some in the same batches remain OK.
September 4, 2005 3:47:13 AM

"Chimp" <Chimp@notvalid.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> For some (completely unknown) reason quite a few of my Pentax RAW files have
> mysteriously acquired a 'new' date - from April & May 2005 to November 2005!
>
> I only discovered this when I tried to convert them using Silkypix - they
> would open and adjust, but wouldn't save because the programme recognised
> that the date was invalid.
>
> So, I need to alter the EXIF date field (or wait until November to process
> them!) and I'm having trouble finding a suitable freeware EXIF editor.
>
> Exifer can't read the files - does anyone know of a free or cheap EXIF tool
> that will enable me to alter the dates back to the correct ones?

Exiftool can modify EXIF fields and it is claimed to be able to write PEF
files, however it is a command line tool (not GUI) and it needs a perl
interpreter (there are Windows versions of perl, it just doesn't come standard
with the system like it does on most Linux/BSD distributions):
http://owl.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

--
Michael Meissner
email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org

"Michael Meissner" <mrmnews@the-meissners.org> wrote in message
> "Chimp" <Chimp@notvalid.com> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> For some (completely unknown) reason quite a few of my Pentax RAW files
>> have
>> mysteriously acquired a 'new' date - from April & May 2005 to November
>> 2005!
>>
>> I only discovered this when I tried to convert them using Silkypix - they
>> would open and adjust, but wouldn't save because the programme recognised
>> that the date was invalid.
>>
>> So, I need to alter the EXIF date field (or wait until November to
>> process
>> them!) and I'm having trouble finding a suitable freeware EXIF editor.
>>
>> Exifer can't read the files - does anyone know of a free or cheap EXIF
>> tool
>> that will enable me to alter the dates back to the correct ones?
>
> Exiftool can modify EXIF fields and it is claimed to be able to write PEF
> files, however it is a command line tool (not GUI) and it needs a perl
> interpreter (there are Windows versions of perl, it just doesn't come
> standard
> with the system like it does on most Linux/BSD distributions):
> http://owl.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/
>
> --
> Michael Meissner
> email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org
> http://www.the-meissners.org

Thanks for that - if I could get the wretched thing to work I'd be set!.
I'm afraid I know very little about DOS stuff.
!