Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

$500-$600 Gaming+Development build. Opinion? Want to drop prices.

Tags:
  • Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
August 14, 2012 4:48:10 AM

Hi all,

I am working on my first home build but am not quite satisfied with the price I'm at right now. Currently with all my pieces spec'd out I'm at around $566. I'd like to try and chop that down a bit closer to $500, so I'm asking you guys for some help...

Budget Range: $600-
Parts to Upgrade (price not including shipping, but with promo codes/rebates):

AMD FX 8150 CPU $179.99
NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450 GPU $69.95
ASRock Extreme4 AM3+ 990FX ATX MOBO $130.49
Rosewill Stallion Series RD500-2SB 500W PSU $44.99
OCZ Agility 3 AGT3-25SAT3 60GB SSD $49.99
Ballistix Sport 8GB DDR3-1333 RAM $37.99
LiteOn DVD Burner iHAS124-04 - OEM $17.99
Commander MS-I Snow ATX Mid-Tower $34.71

My birthday's coming up so I'm thinking buy the parts myself and ask for keyboard, mouse, monitor... So I can use whatever you guys recommend to me (the price not included in my budget).

Do you need to buy OS: No
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: microcenter.com, newegg.com, anywhere really
Overclocking:Maybe
SLI or Crossfire: No

Additional Comments: Please no "Y U NO BUY INTEL" or anything like that (ok maybe that's a bit exaggerated but still). I'm choosing these components for the best performance I can get on my budget. I know I DEFINITELY want the current case, CPU (I might be convinced to get a 8120... maybe...), and Mobo. I know my build is a bit strange right now, but I intend to keep tweaking it and upgrading it for a while so some of the current components might not be top-notch.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: A few reasons. Mainly for the learning experience. I've always been interested in building computers. I'm into Android development and I'm hoping to get more familiar with Linux while using this computer. I will also use it for light gaming... i.e BF3 or whatever I can get up and running on Linux.

Thanks for anything you can do to help... be it more websites to check, a different product that's just as good, etc... I know I've already done some price trimming so it might be hard. Also, what do you think of the build performance-wise?

Thanks a lot,
cogeary

More about : 500 600 gaming development build opinion drop prices

August 14, 2012 5:35:14 AM

The build is horribly imbalanced.
1. You can get an i5 and a nice motherboard for the same price.
2. Your GPU is horrible. Save money on the CPU (get an i3, or even a Pentium) and get a better GPU.
3. Your power supply is a very bad pick. Get one from Corsair, Antec, XFX or Seasonic.
m
l
August 14, 2012 5:43:20 AM

fpoon said:
2. Your GPU is horrible. Save money on the CPU (get an i3, or even a Pentium) and get a better GPU.
3. Your power supply is a very bad pick. Get one from Corsair, Antec, XFX or Seasonic.

as a compute system, the FX processors are still viable to use. its flaw was on the gaming side, which was a step backwards from its previous phenom counterparts. Although, at the wake of the next piledriver cpus in about 2 months, the 1st gen fx chips will start to phase out soon.
m
l
Related resources
August 14, 2012 5:55:45 AM

fpoon said:

:ouch: 

Yeah I guess I had that coming for me ;) . I understand my build is imbalanced - but is it really that horribly imbalanced? As I said I plan to keep tweaking and upgrading because I don't have the money to spend for all high-end hardware... I know a guy with the GTS 450 and he is very pleased with it... I'm not the picky kind of person about a little bit of choppiness either. I was thinking I would get the 450 to tide me over till I could buy something nicer.

Well I do plan to do a lot of multitasking with this computer with some CPU-intensive processes running in the background... sorry I should have been more clear, I mean Android application and I want to get ROM development so I will be compiling the OS from the source. I chose the 1850 because of the 8 cores and I thought, well I've always used intel and decided that since this computer is partly for a learning experience why not give AMD a go?

Maybe I'll consider an i5, look at the specs/prices... :( . But the GTS 450's performance is good enough for me so I would really rather not get an i3 or pentium (:o ).

Hm I had heard good things about Rosewill and it looks to be decent quality. But I have heard those brand names much more frequently so I guess you're right, I'll check out a better PSU.

Thanks a lot for your input!
m
l
August 14, 2012 5:59:38 AM

cogeary said:
:ouch: 

Yeah I guess I had that coming for me ;) . I understand my build is imbalanced - but is it really that horribly imbalanced? As I said I plan to keep tweaking and upgrading because I don't have the money to spend for all high-end hardware... I know a guy with the GTS 450 and I've seen it in action for gaming, it can get a little bit choppy but I'm not the picky kind of person. I was thinking I would get the 450 to tide me over till I could buy something nicer.

Well I do plan to do a lot of multitasking with this computer with some CPU-intensive processes running in the background... sorry I should have been more clear, I mean Android application and ROM development so I will be compiling the OS from the source. I chose the 1850 because of the 8 cores and I thought, well I've always used intel and decided that since this computer is partly for a learning experience why not give AMD a go?

Maybe I'll consider an i5, look at the specs/prices... :( . But the GTS 450's performance is good enough for me so I would really rather not get an i3 or pentium (:o ).

Hm I had heard good things about Rosewill and it looks to be decent quality. But I have heard those brand names much more frequently so I guess you're right, I'll check out a better PSU.

Thanks a lot for your input!

if you need input on psu quality, use a database of reviews. if its a company that's unlabled, the likely hood of it being a good psu is much lower.
m
l
August 14, 2012 6:03:56 AM

I find that HardOCP does a proper test of PSUs to see if they are good quality and value or not.
m
l
August 14, 2012 6:07:51 AM

azeem40 said:
I find that HardOCP does a proper test of PSUs to see if they are good quality and value or not.

I only agree because HardOCP is really strict with their standards on psus, and is the one most likely to fail a psu for being not sufficient for its labeled wattage.
m
l
August 14, 2012 6:32:29 AM

azeem40 said:

dudewitbow said:
I only agree because HardOCP is really strict with their standards on psus, and is the one most likely to fail a psu for being not sufficient for its labeled wattage.

Thanks! How does this SilverStone look?

*crosses fingers*
m
l
August 14, 2012 6:49:39 AM

It is a good PSU that has great efficiency. It can even pull more than 500W, but only at 78% efficiency. It will be enough to power your GPU. There is a better PSU, the EA500, but it is $11 more.
m
l
August 14, 2012 7:18:45 AM

azeem40 said:
It is a good PSU that has great efficiency. It can even pull more than 500W, but only at 78% efficiency. It will be enough to power your GPU. There is a better PSU, the EA500, but it is $11 more.

Great, thanks. What do you think about my gpu choice? Do you think my build would be better suited with a gtx 460? I found a good oem one for $80-90. I just don't want my prices getting too high. I can probably downgrade my ram, but I'd still like 8 gb...

Also, I've heard that Linux + Fermi = no-go. Is this true/false?

Thanks so much for all the help.
m
l
August 14, 2012 10:50:48 PM

cogeary said:
Great, thanks. What do you think about my gpu choice? Do you think my build would be better suited with a gtx 460? I found a good oem one for $80-90. I just don't want my prices getting too high. I can probably downgrade my ram, but I'd still like 8 gb...

Also, I've heard that Linux + Fermi = no-go. Is this true/false?

Thanks so much for all the help.

The GTX 460 is a good deal, and your PSU will be able to handle it.
As for Linux+Fermi, I don't know where you got that, but I have a Fermi card and it works fine.
m
l