Sign in with
Your question

[Monitor] Can't get the native resolution to fit on the screen

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 24, 2012 10:14:47 PM

I'm not exactly sure where to put this since there doesn't seem to be a subcategory devoted to monitors, but here's my question anyway. Whenever I set my VGA (I know I know...) display to its native resolution (1920 by 1200), the picture stretches way off the screen and is not scaled properly - more specifically, it goes off the left of the screen and the picture is stretched horizontally. The specific monitor I'm running is a Samsung Syncmaster T240, and the card I have in my system is a Radeon HD 6670. Yes, I need to upgrade a little bit, but until then, I'd like to use the native resolution of my monitor.

Side notes: Scaling and stretching work fine whenever I use resolutions other than the native like 1650 by 1050; only the native resolution has this problem.
a b C Monitor
June 24, 2012 10:38:44 PM

stop using VGA and use the the DVI connections...
m
l
June 24, 2012 11:54:29 PM

I am having the same problem as WalnutTarts. I would try using the DVI, but my Vizio M421VT does not have DVI input. The only bus that my TV and GFX card share is VGA. My native resolution is 1080p. As with WalnutTarts, all other resolutions work fine. Vertical resolution is ok, display cuts off left and right sides (or portions of each as the TV settings are adjusted, with no setting making the full horizontal picture visible). NVidia control panel has signal position and size greyed out for this display. Certainly this problem has been address before on this forum. Can anyone point us in the right direction?
m
l
Related resources
a b C Monitor
June 25, 2012 12:16:07 AM

Just my two cents, but have you checked your scaling and aspect ratio options?
m
l
June 25, 2012 1:05:59 AM

Spankmon, the adapter you suggest may work. Yes, a little black duck, I have checked those options in Windows 7, Nvidia's software, and on my TV.
m
l
June 25, 2012 1:28:05 AM

there should be an auto adjust option some where in the monitors OSD, it could also be a physical button on the monitor
m
l
June 25, 2012 1:39:51 AM

Thank you for your response, ShadyHamster. There is an auto adjust option in my TV's firmware. It results in an equal portion being cut off from each the left and right sides.
m
l
June 25, 2012 8:04:34 AM

how about the gpu scaling option in the amd control center?

looking at specs of that monitor you have it supports dvi, ever considered buying a dvi cable? will solve all your problems.
m
l
June 27, 2012 1:00:55 AM

Thanks ShadyHamster, hopped over to a DVI cable and everything works fine.
m
l
April 15, 2013 9:29:28 AM

I had similar problem (at least I came here by googling it). Finally I found that my refresh rate was set to 60 Hz. I set it to 75 Hz and the problem was fixed.
m
l
September 22, 2013 8:43:18 PM

In my case I have a 32" inches Sony TV... the solution was looking in the tv options,and there was one in the screen size section that says, Full Pixel. That done it. Hope this helps
m
l
!